Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would dawn the 'black face' these days. It's well known for being viewed as racist. Anyone who does so wants to be edgy, be seen as controversial or lets be honest get attention.

It would be no different than dressing up as a prisoner with the star of David on your shirt or to dress up as a Nazi officer. As there are literally a thousand and one things to dress up as. But yet the thousand other ways wouldn't really strike a cord with other people would'nt they? It's all attention seeking.

Was gonna post, but think this covers it.

It's just incredibly stupid, so wouldn't have any sympathy. They leave themselves open to accusations of racism, even if it probably isn't deliberately racist, and they must know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Was gonna post, but think this covers it.

It's just incredibly stupid, so wouldn't have any sympathy. They leave themselves open to accusations of racism, even if it probably isn't deliberately racist, and they must know this.

Maybe we should stop indulging people with nothing of importance to be doing , other than witch hunting Halloween costumes and fans of Cool Runnings. I've witnessed plenty of people in Nazi dress, the Tiger woods body paint and golf attire etc during Halloween in Dublin and no one bats an eyelid. Like you said yourself, it isn't deliberately provocative as some would like to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

Maybe we should stop indulging people with nothing of importance to be doing , other than witch hunting Halloween costumes and fans of Cool Runnings. I've witnessed plenty of people in Nazi dress, the Tiger woods body paint and golf attire etc during Halloween in Dublin and no one bats an eyelid. Like you said yourself, it isn't deliberately provocative as some would like to think.

Is the above in bold true because you say so?

If I were a black person and saw people in 'blackface', Halloween or not, I wouldn't be best pleased.
    Do you not understand that concept, or do you think that wearing 'blackface' or 'Nazi dress' is so important to our freedom of expression that it must be done despite what hurt it might cause to others.

You suggest that we stop indulging people with 'nothing of importance to be doing', well maybe we should stop indulging, unimaginative and insensitive wallies who are still labouring under the massive misapprehension that putting on 'blackface' or 'Nazi dress' and causing offence to some is completely harmless and 'a bit of a laugh'.
    Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Sorry dude but it is racist everywhere in the world to use the term Paki, chink etc. My head hurts reading so much ignorance. Was my generation the only one that actually covered racism in school?

You are wrong about the term Paki. In NZ and Australia is normal and acceptable to abbreviate Pakistani to Paki. Just like Australian gets shortened to Aussie or British to Brit. It's not racist. You hear the Pakistani cricket team get referred to as the Paki team.

Now if you were to call Indians, Sri Lankans or Bangladeshis as Pakis then you would be ignorant and probably racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Yeah_Right wrote:
    You are wrong about the term Paki. In NZ and Australia is normal and acceptable to abbreviate Pakistani to Paki. Just like Australian gets shortened to Aussie or British to Brit. It's not racist. You hear the Pakistani cricket team get referred to as the Paki team.

It is most certainly is racist. Just because it's normal for them to say paki doesn't make it ok. Most people in the states used the N word up until recently but it was still racist. You can call Australia and New Zealand racist if you want but you can't say something isn't racist because someone else says it. Oh black people use the n word so it's ok? No these are racist black people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Most people in the states used the N word up until recently but it was still racist.
    Oh black people use the n word so it's ok?

What's this N word you speak of?

In NZ and Aus it isn't a racist term. The people there (including the Pakistani community) don't consider it racist. You can try all you want to make it racist but it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

What's this N word you speak of?

You're being silly now.

Yeah_Right wrote:
    In NZ and Aus it isn't a racist term. The people there (including the Pakistani community) don't consider it racist. You can try all you want to make it racist but it isn't.

It is a racist term worldwide. You really think I'm racist by saying paki in the UK but I'm not racist by saying it in Australia? That's ridiculous.
    If you go into a soundproofed room & screamed the n word over & over you are being racist. Even if no one hears you it's still a racist thing. I you could fly to the moon it is still racist to say it there. Racist is racist.
    BTW Australia and New Zealand had signs on building sites 5 years ago saying no Irish allowed to apply for jobs. These are two openly racist countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Zxclnic wrote: »

If I were a black person and saw people in 'blackface', Halloween or not, I wouldn't be best pleased.
    Do you not understand that concept, or do you think that wearing 'blackface' or 'Nazi dress' is so important to our freedom of expression that it must be done despite what hurt it might cause to others.

You suggest that we stop indulging people with 'nothing of importance to be doing', well maybe we should stop indulging, unimaginative and insensitive wallies who are still labouring under the massive misapprehension that putting on 'blackface' or 'Nazi dress' and causing offence to some is completely harmless and 'a bit of a laugh'.
    Grow up.

Who decides what costumes are allowed, Do you have a pre approved list so we can all steer clear of offending someone ? Must find me world trade centre costume.

• Advertisement

It is a racist term worldwide. You really think I'm racist by saying paki in the UK but I'm not racist by saying it in Australia? That's ridiculous.
    If you go into a soundproofed room & screamed the n word over & over you are being racist. Even if no one hears you it's still a racist thing. I you could fly to the moon it is still racist to say it there. Racist is racist.
    BTW Australia and New Zealand had signs on building sites 5 years ago saying no Irish allowed to apply for jobs. These are two openly racist countries

Xenophobic and was that not to do with the Traveller problem.

Who decides what costumes are allowed, Do you have a pre approved list so we can all steer clear of offending someone ? Must find me world trade centre costume.

You can dress up in a kkk costume for Halloween. It's not illegal but it is still racist

You can dress up in a kkk costume for Halloween. It's not illegal but it is still racist

Oh what costumes are illegal ? Is this the way people are wanting things to go ? Would not wearing a KKK costume be like wearing a Nazi one you know drawing attention to remember ?

Do you have evidence of those signs? I heard of some ads for jobs and accommodation in Aus saying that but not NZ. And it's not ridiculous that Paki is a racist term in the UK but not NZ and Australia. It's just a fact.

A question for you, can someone refer to a black person as a monkey and it not be racist?

Yeah_Right wrote:
    Do you have evidence of those signs? I heard of some ads for jobs and accommodation in Aus saying that but not NZ. And it's not ridiculous that Paki is a racist term in the UK but not NZ and Australia. It's just a fact.

Eh they were in every paper at the time. There were Joe Duffy shows about it & possibly a Gerry Ryan show just before he passed away.

You obviously don't understand what racism actually is. A racist term, word or act is racist. It makes no difference if racist countries like Australia deem them acceptable. Have you seen the way they talk about the aborigines or their women for that matter.

Eh they were in every paper at the time. There were Joe Duffy shows about it & possibly a Gerry Ryan show just before he passed away.

You obviously don't understand what racism actually is. A racist term, word or act is racist. It makes no difference if racist countries like Australia deem them acceptable. Have you seen the way they talk about the aborigines or their women for that matter.

http://img.memecdn.com/triggered_o_6289201.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

E or their women for that matter.

O M F G "their" women? :eek::mad::eek::mad:

I can't believe how sexist irish people are

etc etc

I don't listen to talkback so I missed the Joe Duffy outrage. Sorry. Like I said, I remember reading about job and accommodation ads saying no Irish in Australia. You said NZ as well. I didn't see or hear anything about that.

How Aussies (is that a racist term?) talk about aborigines and women has nothing to do with whether Paki is a racist term is Aus or NZ.

You didn't answer my question about a black person being likened to a monkey. Is it racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Do you mean Australia, and if so are you saying that the Pakistani community in that country think it's fine to be referred to as Pakis?

Well my mate is Aussie, his parents are Pakistani but he calls himself a Paki

Grow up.

Why are you assuming what a person would or would not be offended by? Most of my black friends would just laugh at it

• Advertisement

Sorry dude but it is racist everywhere in the world to use the term Paki, chink etc. My head hurts reading so much ignorance. Was my generation the only one that actually covered racism in school?

No its not, maybe get out from behind your computer screen & go travelling. It will open your mind

It is most certainly is racist. Just because it's normal for them to say paki doesn't make it ok. Most people in the states used the N word up until recently but it was still racist. You can call Australia and New Zealand racist if you want but you can't say something isn't racist because someone else says it. Oh black people use the n word so it's ok? No these are racist black people

Nope 100% wrong

Again you are wrong...have you ever met any Pakistani Aussies??

How Aussies (is that a racist term?) talk about aborigines and women has nothing to do with whether Paki is a racist term is Aus or NZ.

It's may not be considered racist in a racist country by racist people but that doesn't make it "not racist". A kkk member doesn't think calling someone a N isn't racist because they are racist. They think there is nothing wrong with it but obviously it is wrong.
    You didn't answer my question about a black person being likened to a monkey.

Is it racist? We are all linked to a monkey. Whites and blacks. We white people have black DNA or ancestors. What's racist about that? Calling a black person a monkey is racist (in any country)

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Well my mate is Aussie, his parents are Pakistani but he calls himself a Paki

And some black people call eachother n***er. Its still racist. Did your mother never ask you if Johnny put his hand in the fire would you do the same? This is the lamest excuse that a child would use. Just because someone else says it, doesn't make it right. Racist is always racist. It makes no difference if you are black, white or Pakistani. It is still racist

Again you are wrong...have you ever met any Pakistani Aussies??

Yes. What has that to do with racism?:eek:

And some black people call eachother n***er. Its still racist. Did your mother never ask you if Johnny put his hand in the fire would you do the same? This is the lamest excuse that a child would use. Just because someone else says it, doesn't make it right. Racist is always racist. It makes no difference if you are black, white or Pakistani. It is still racist

****** may be racist but shortening a countries name is not racist. It is termed racist in the UK because it was thrown at all asians

Yes. What has that to do with racism?:eek:

Oh yeah so where you meet them? Maybe ask them do they feel the word Paki is racist before you preach to others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Have you been out of Ireland?get any cab in New York with a Pakistani driver and they call themselves and other Pakistanis "Paki" throughout the conversation.it's seems to be the way they refer to themselves.

• Advertisement

****** may be racist but shortening a countries name is not racist. It is termed racist in the UK because it was thrown at all asians

And if English Asians go to Australia it is racist to them. This is why something racist is racist everywhere. It not just one country. Racism doesn't work like that.

Advertisement