Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    And if English Asians go to Australia it is racist to them. This is why something racist is racist everywhere. It not just one country. Racism doesn't work like that.

If an English Pakistani goes to Pakistan & they call him a Paki is that racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Have you been out of Ireland?get any cab in New York with a Pakistani driver and they call themselves and other Pakistanis "Paki" throughout the conversation.it's seems to be the way they refer to themselves.

Have you ever watched Roots. They called themselves n****rs in that too. It is still racist. Richard Pryor called other black men & himself N***er. He was a very funny guy imo but him calling himself n***er doesn't mean its not racist. You can give examples all day long about people calling themselves racist names but it doesn't change the fact that they are racist names.
    I said it earlier Irish people need to educate themselves about racism. You don't get to pick & choose what you want to be racist

Help!!!! wrote: »

Yes & its racist for them to call an Australian Pakistani a paki too. What part of racist don't you get? You need to go back to school my friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Have you been out of Ireland?get any cab in New York with a Pakistani driver and they call themselves and other Pakistanis "Paki" throughout the conversation.it's seems to be the way they refer to themselves.

That's called ownership you paddy ****er see that's racist which I take the sting out of it by use of the term it does not reduce the term it just takes ownership.

No it's ownership you thick paddy.

• Advertisement

Yes & its racist for them to call an Australian Pakistani a paki too. What part of racist don't you get? You need to go back to school my friend

There is a huge difference between the N word & Paki. Well maybe you need to get out into the world & meet people

There is a huge difference between the N word & Paki. Well maybe you need to get out into the world & meet people

That depends who hears it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

And if English Asians go to Australia it is racist to them. This is why something racist is racist everywhere. It not just one country. Racism doesn't work like that.

If someone goes to another country then the visitor needs to adapt to local customs and language. They don't get to dictate to the country they are visiting.

This is why I mentioned black people and monkeys. Steven Adams (a Maori New Zealander) playing basketball in the US, in a post game interview referred to a couple of opponents as quick little monkeys. He was talking about their speed and agility. They are black and it was pointed out to him the racist implications (to Americans) of what he'd said. So he clarified and explained it was a cultural difference as the term wouldn't be considered racist in NZ. This was accepted by everyone and they moved on. Which shows just because a term is racist or offensive in one place, it doesn't mean it is every where. There needs to be intent.

No it's ownership you thick paddy.

Maybe you should go travel the world as well, it might open your mind a bit

Maybe you should go travel the world as well, it might open your mind a bit

I have! Read what I said. Because you so stupid you don't know ******!

• Advertisement

That depends who hears it.

You are wasting your time here. I honestly don't think people can be this uneducated. I left school at 14 & we covered this at great length. Granted that was over 30 years ago. I'm leaning towards believing that there is trolling going on rather than complete & utter lack of knowledge on racism. Tis a sad day for Ireland one way or the other:mad:

You are wasting your time here. I honestly don't think people can be this uneducated. I left school at 14 & we covered this at great length. Granted that was over 30 years ago. I'm leaning towards believing that there is trolling going on rather than complete & utter lack of knowledge on racism. Tis a sad day for Ireland one way or the other:mad:

Paddy is so thick!

Maybe some people are less sensitive as you are. I have friends who are African/Indian/Maori/White/Black/Brown & we would have banter, I would get called Paddy, I would call them what ever. There was no malice involved from either side. If you want to call me racist them go ahead. Maybe I've been lucky to experience other cultures first hand so am not as sensitive

Maybe some people are less sensitive as you are. I have friends who are African/Indian/Maori/White/Black/Brown & we would have banter, I would get called Paddy, I would call them what ever. There was no malice involved from either side. If you want to call me racist them go ahead. Maybe I've been lucky to experience other cultures first hand so am not as sensitive

You a big poo head!

Help!!!! wrote:

Mate I'm pushing 50. There's not many countries or cultures I haven't enjoyed. I'll tell you a secret, we Irish can be the worst racists in the world. If I had a penny for every time I heard "there not even from this country", "there robbing all our jobs", that social welfare should be going to irish people. And all the while Irish people are economic refugees all over the world. We have been for hundreds of years. There's hardly a family in Ireland that doesn't have someone working in another country and we don't want the foreigners living here. We should hang our heads in shame.

On another thread recently the op (of the other thread) told her story. A long story of new neighbours causing trouble, noise and being messy. She finished by saying of course they are travellers. That is a racist thought and comment. It never occurred to me that they were travellers until she said this. I've read dozens of threads about troublesome neighbours and they rarely were travellers. Boards is full of comments like this. We Irish can be a nasty bunch when we want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Did ye cover the Fake Jews at length????

Why do the Anti "Fake Jamaicans" not want to talk about the Fake Jews?????

You a big poo head!

Am not.....will call my mammy & she will have words with you ;)

Am not.....will call my mammy & she will have words with yellow card for you ;)

Fyp ; -)

That is a racist thought and comment. It never occurred to me that they were travellers until she said this.

A group of white Irish people who choose to live in a caravan rather than a house are a race now? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There are about 4 posters in this thread and between them are taking some amount of PC, nonsense. Outraged for the sake of it and appear to think they are the authority on what is and isn't racist despite being in a very small minority. What ever rubbish you learned in school I'm glad I didn't have to sit through any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Mate I'm pushing 50. There's not many countries or cultures I haven't enjoyed. I'll tell you a secret, we Irish can be the worst racists in the world. If I had a penny for every time I heard "there not even from this country", "there robbing all our jobs", that social welfare should be going to irish people. And all the while Irish people are economic refugees all over the world. We have been for hundreds of years. There's hardly a family in Ireland that doesn't have someone working in another country and we don't want the foreigners living here. We should hang our heads in shame.
    I presume you mean "some Irish people" rather than "we Irish"?
    Because otherwise you're making sweeping generalisations against a whole group.
    On another thread recently the op (of the other thread) told her story. A long story of new neighbours causing trouble, noise and being messy. She finished by saying of course they are travellers. That is a racist thought and comment. It never occurred to me that they were travellers until she said this. I've read dozens of threads about troublesome neighbours and they rarely were travellers. Boards is full of comments like this. We Irish can be a nasty bunch when we want.
    Travellers aren't a race.

• Advertisement

A group of white Irish people who choose to live in a caravan rather than a house are a race now?

No if you read the post you'll see that they live in a house
    I presume you mean "some Irish people" rather than "we Irish"? Because otherwise you're making sweeping generalisations against a whole group.

No I mean we Irish. I am making sweeping generalisations against the majority of Irish people but not all. Just read this thread. 95% of the posters wouldn't know racism if it hit them on the head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

No I mean we Irish. I am making sweeping generalisations against the majority of Irish people but not all. Just read this thread. 95% of the posters wouldn't know racism if it hit them on the head

:eek:

No if you read the post you'll see that they live in a house

I don't care if they live in a cave, they are white Irish people not a race.

Who made you the decision maker on what is and isn't racist? You don't know what is and isn't racist judging by your posts.

Who made you the decision maker on what is and isn't racist? You don't know what is and isn't racist judging by your posts.

What is racist then. Thread is full of fools saying if I stand on my head and turn around 3 times in Australia then this isn't or that isn't racist. Lots on here think they know what isn't racist. Tell me what is racist?

What is racist then. Thread is full of fools saying if I stand on my head and turn around 3 times in Australia then this isn't or that isn't racist. Lots on here think they know what isn't racist. Tell me what is racist?

A lot of things are racist but dressing up as a black celebrity/athlete etc etc is not even on the same planet as racist. It's over sensitive PC horses*it trying to find offence in it.

A lot of things are racist but dressing up as a black celebrity/athlete etc etc is not even on the same planet as racist. It's over sensitive PC horses*it trying to find offence in it.

Ok you are yet another poster that can tell the world what isn't racist but unable to say what is racist.

Ok you are yet another poster that can tell the world what isn't racist but unable to say what is racist.

Is the Fake Jews thing racist, and can you explain it to me?

You hardly expect me to give an in depth list of what is racist? Especially as most of them are obvious.

Example: calling a black person an n*gger, that is something that's racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I don't find it racist but its really unnecessary. How ****ing stupid would it look if a black guy wanted to dress up as james bond or indiana jones and put on some white face paint to complete the look

• Advertisement

Example: calling a black person an n*gger, that is something that's racist.

In America or Australia? Apparently in Australia normal racist rules don't exist.

Advertisement