Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You say
    You are not BLACK either, but feel comfortable telling them what is offence.

And
    If I were BLACK, I'd be insulted by someone like you, telling me what should offend me and what shouldn't.

But claim.
    It's you seeing colour not me, yet I'm the racist?

I am confused. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You say

And

But claim.

I am confused. :(

You sure are.

Poo seriously it ****ing after hours I can't say poo!

That's pretty sihtty. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

That's pretty sihtty. :)

Poo is never pretty!

Poo seriously it ****ing after hours I can't say poo!

Lets see, if I get yellow carded for just using the word poo?

POO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Zxclnic wrote: »
    You're interested in my opinion now?

But no, I'll not play your childish 'What if' type of 14 year old trying to catch their parents out type scenarios.
    Thanks, but save all that for the playground.

Why not, you can buy Barack Obama masks in various shops.?

Its a valid question, not a childish game.

Why not answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Lets see, if I get yellow carded for just using the word poo?

POO.

You could be in sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Well first off I saw you as a troll because you continue to ask religious questions on a thread. Jews aren't a race. It is a religion.
    That aside you asked my opinion so even though it's off topic here is my answer. There is no God. The bible is as true as a Harry potter novel. Religion has been the cause for most wars from the beginning of time to present day. All in the name of God,Allah or whatever. Israeli Jews are European Jews afaik. While they were treated horribly in Europe during the war and they had to live somewhere I don't believe that they have a legitimate claim on Israel. Real jews, fake Jews its irrelevant to me as I believe all the religions are false.
    I respect everyone's right to believe in their own religion. I don't usually comment on religion but I was asked a question. If I offended anyone's religious beliefs I am truly sorry as it was not my intention.

I'm Jewish and that's anti-Semitic.

I'm not actually but I think it's anti-Semitic and therefore it is. Everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I rarely go out NOT in blackface

Yeah_Right wrote:
    I'm not actually but I think it's anti-Semitic and therefore it is. Everywhere.

But did I offend?

• Advertisement

But did I offend?

No you didn't offend, just called 95 percent of the Irish population racist and also called us the most racist nation on earth.

We are such a nasty bunch of people when we want to be, just like those with special needs.

No no no, you didn't offend anybody.

And also be the only thanker on a post to call all paddies thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Ah lads can we not all be friends, I'll give yiz some cake

21/25

No no no, you didn't offend anybody

Then my work is done here. :)

uch wrote:
    Ah lads can we not all be friends, I'll give yiz some cake

Chocolate fudge cake?

I say chocolate fudge cake cos it's my favourite not cos of the colour. My bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

Mate I'm pushing 50. There's not many countries or cultures I haven't enjoyed. I'll tell you a secret, we Irish can be the worst racists in the world. If I had a penny for every time I heard "there not even from this country", "there robbing all our jobs", that social welfare should be going to irish people. And all the while Irish people are economic refugees all over the world. We have been for hundreds of years. There's hardly a family in Ireland that doesn't have someone working in another country and we don't want the foreigners living here. We should hang our heads in shame.

On another thread recently the op (of the other thread) told her story. A long story of new neighbours causing trouble, noise and being messy. She finished by saying of course they are travellers. That is a racist thought and comment. It never occurred to me that they were travellers until she said this. I've read dozens of threads about troublesome neighbours and they rarely were travellers. Boards is full of comments like this. We Irish can be a nasty bunch when we want.
    No "we" shouldn't hang our heads in shame. Bit too much misuse of "we" in the above (and no doubt you don't include yourself in the "we"). I am not a racist and I don't appreciate being lumped in with racists just because I am Irish - or the insinuation that I should feel ashamed over other Irish people being racist... laughably that is exactly what racism is. But of course it's ok against Irish/white people.

Then my work is done here. :)

Shame is on you :)

I don't believe it was aimed at all paddies. Certainly not the ones in Australia or new Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Chocolate fudge cake?

Custard Slice, between yiz if yiz aren't nice, one each if yiz are cordial, and not Orange cordial, thats for the guests

21/25

Paddy is so thick!
    Huh? What nationality are you?

• Advertisement

Fook you wiggle puppy,

best user name ever, it always makes me smile :pac:

Fook you wiggle puppy,

best user name ever, it always makes me smile :pac:
    http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Wiggle_Puppy

He says Paddy is so thick. He doesn't say Paddys are so thick.

But did I offend?

Yes. Because if you're ant-Semitic somewhere then you are everywhere. Just like generalising about the Irish makes you racist. Context and intent do not matter.

He says Paddy is so thick. He doesn't say Paddys are so thick.
    Which paddy do they mean? I find this thing of "Let's find racism in anything but it's ok to put down Irish people" very strange.

Yeah_Right wrote:
    Yes. Because if you're ant-Semitic somewhere then you are everywhere. Just like generalising about the Irish makes you racist. Context and intent do not matter.

I might have been a lot of things but anti semitic I don't think so

No you didn't offend, just called 95 percent of the Irish population racist and also called us the most racist nation on earth.

I actually said 95 percent of the posters on this thread wouldn't know what racism was if it bit them in the bum. Lots of Irish are racist but 95 percent were posters
    We are such a nasty bunch of people when we want to be, just like those with special needs.
    Look someone was trolling and I made a comment I apologized for. But he was still trolling
    As I said earlier he said paddy not all paddies. I agree that the one paddy is thick. You are making false statements here without actually reading what was said

Dunno about it being 95% on this thread. Of course there are racists in Ireland (like anywhere) but a really racist society? Try Poland or the deep south of the US pre civil rights. I suspect there is an increase in racist sentiment in Ireland now (as well as the rest of Europe) but prior to recent times, there did not seem to be racism of such a level that Ireland could be called a racist society, but certainly had some racists (again, like anywhere).
    The only evidence of Ireland being really racist I would have seen is it being said, without substantiation, by self loathing Irish people.

I also don't understand how people can be racist to travellers when travellers are also white, and it isn't inaccurate to say there are a lot of problems in traveller society (most of which affect travellers themselves). An observation is not racism.

I might have been a lot of things but anti semitic I don't think so

But if I feel your comments are anti-Semitic then why do you get to deny they're anti-Semitic? After all if I use the word Paki to describe a Pakistani, in your eyes I'm racist.

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote:
    But if I feel your comments are anti-Semitic then why do you get to deny they're anti-Semitic? After all if I use the word Paki to describe a Pakistani, in your eyes I'm racist.

Well you see this is you trying to be argumentative for the sake of it. To be anti semitic I have to have something against Jews. I didn't. Also as I pointed out Jews aren't a race it is a religion. I said AFAIK the Jews in Israel were European Jews 100 years ago. There is nothing in that to take offence to. The AFAIK leaves me open to correction. I also apologised to anyone reading it if it caused offence as it wasn't my attention.
    I was asked a question & I answered it. I don't usually talk about religion because I find religious person take offence when you say there is no God so I don't say it. It offends people. This is why something is racist here is still racist in Australia. The idea of not wanting to be racist is respecting people's beliefs & not wanting to cause hurt & upset. By trying to be clever "well if I wear a mask instead of paint", "it's not racist in a different country" you can cause hurt & upset. Why would anyone who is not a racist or at least someone looking to cause hurt or cause trouble try to get around the whole racist thing by trying to get around it with a technicality?
    It's not a court room here where you try get away with a technicality.
    I said 95%of the posters here because if you read their comments they are trying to be clever and say well if I change this tiny thing I can't be called a racist. Why? Why do that when you know it still caused hurt & upset?

Advertisement