Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Ok racist was to wrong word. Point taken. But they are treated terribly by most Irish people. Bigot probably suits better but they boil down to the same thing really. We assume certain things about them. They are discriminated against visibility on a daily basis.

Edit: I just looked up bigot and that doesn't suit either. What term should be used when people discriminate and form pre conceived negative options about a community with different cultural backgrounds but not a different race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Apparently in Australia normal racist rules don't exist.

And just what do you call "normal" ???????????

Get this rule up ya.

THE persecution of a young fan of AFL star Nic Naitanui proves today’s anti-racist is now often just a bully.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/andrew-bolt/humiliation-of-young-nic-naitanui-fan-shows-antiracists-are-just-a-cruel-mob/news-story/69b6ab69f80e86dd9c602aad17815ac1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

old_aussie wrote: »
    And just what do you call "normal" ???????????

Get this rule up ya.

THE persecution of a young fan of AFL star Nic Naitanui proves today’s anti-racist is now often just a bully.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/andrew-bolt/humiliation-of-young-nic-naitanui-fan-shows-antiracists-are-just-a-cruel-mob/news-story/69b6ab69f80e86dd9c602aad17815ac1

Your surprised ??? Have you not seen most of them SJW attending stuff with masks on and hiding their appearance. Nothing like getting that right on feeling fix you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I'm beginning to think ye were a little short changed in yer schooling on racism/discrimination/prejudice Sleeper.

I'm still a bit thrown by the "ah sure fake jews isn't a big deal, fake Jamaicans is an outrage though"!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Disgruntled Badger

It's getting all too easy to be offended these days. You see lads dressed up as women too....is that sexist? Sumo Suit; that'll be body shaming right? *mooving on*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Racism is when something is said to offend or hurt someone......otherwise they are just words
    If my Pakistani-Aussie mate says its ok to use the word Paki then I'm not going to listen to some white pc brigade member from Ireland.
    But at the same time I'm not going to shout Paki at a crowd of from India, although I will call my Indian mate a Paki if he calls me Paddy or whitey or something to do with potatoes

I'm still a bit thrown by the "ah sure fake jews isn't a big deal, fake Jamaicans is an outrage though"!

We've already decided that you're trolling. Thread is about racism not religion. Check the title. There's a Christianity forum might want to listen to your issues with Jews.

It's getting all too easy to be offended these days. You see lads dressed up as women too....is that sexist? Sumo Suit; that'll be body shaming right? *mooving on*

They are called transvestites right?

Here's one that will surprise a few Racism doesn't have to be about race. Irish & english are the same race yet an English person can be racist toward the Irish man. Turns out Irish people CAN be racist towards Travelers. Comes under the racism legislation

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/discrimination/protected-characteristics/gypsies-and-travellers-race-discrimination/

Here's one that will surprise a few Racism doesn't have to be about race. Irish & english are the same race yet an English person can be racist toward the Irish man. Turns out Irish people CAN be racist towards Travelers. Comes under the racism legislation

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/discrimination/protected-characteristics/gypsies-and-travellers-race-discrimination/

So then you could answer the other posters question about Jews

• Advertisement

Help!!!! wrote: »
    So then you could answer the other posters question about Jews

I don't do religion. There is no god so it's a waste of my time. Sorry dude

I don't live in the UK.

I don't do religion. There is no god so it's a waste of my time. Sorry dude

But you just posted that Racism doesn't have to be about race. So people dressing up as Jews can then be racist.....right?

Help!!!! wrote:
    But you just posted that Racism doesn't have to be about race. So people dressing up as Jews can then be racist.....right?

I'm not playing childish games. Racism is too important an issue

I'm not playing childish games. Racism is too important an issue

To whom ? I don't loose sleep over people crying fake racism.

I don't care what a uk website says, you can't be racist against someone of your own race it's not possible.

To whom ? I don't loose sleep over people crying fake racism.

Kkk think ****** is fake racism

I don't care what a uk website says, you can't be racist against someone of your own race it's not possible.

Well you see it doesn't matter what you think. The law is the law. Id love to see you try explain it to a judge

But if a British person was being prosecuted for racism against Irish person this is the legislation that would be used in the convection.

White Americans have been racist against Irish people over the years. In Australia you had the signs saying no Irish.
    You honestly think none of this is racism? What do you actually call it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Well you see it doesn't matter what you think. The law is the law. Id love to see you try explain it to a judge

But if a British person was being prosecuted for racism against Irish person this is the legislation that would be used in the convection.

White Americans have been racist against Irish people over the years. In Australia you had the signs saying no Irish.

People being assholes.

What law? There is no such law in Ireland.

None of what you have described is racist, none of it. Xenophobic would be the correct term.

• Advertisement

People being assholes.

I googled it and can't find any legislation called people being assholes. Closest I can find is racism legislation.
    Can you point me to any links on the people being assholes legislation?

What law? There is no such law in Ireland.

Not only do we have our own laws on racism but we have to follow eu legislation on racism too. Irish travellers are listed and recognised in Irish and eu law as a minority with its own unique culture.

I googled it and can't find any legislation called people being assholes. Closest I can find is racism legislation.
    Can you point me to any links on the people being assholes legislation?

Jeez dude maybe get out more or get down your local massage parlour. A ride might get rid of your frustrations ;)

None of what you have described is racist, none of it. Xenophobic would be the correct term.

Can you point me to a link that covers xenophobic? The closest I can find is law on racism

Not only do we have our own laws on racism but we have to follow eu legislation on racism too. Irish travellers are listed and recognised in Irish and eu law as a minority with its own unique culture.

No they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Well you see this is you trying to be argumentative for the sake of it. To be anti semitic I have to have something against Jews. I didn't. Also as I pointed out Jews aren't a race it is a religion. I said AFAIK the Jews in Israel were European Jews 100 years ago. There is nothing in that to take offence to. The AFAIK leaves me open to correction. I also apologised to anyone reading it if it caused offence as it wasn't my attention.
    I was asked a question & I answered it. I don't usually talk about religion because I find religious person take offence when you say there is no God so I don't say it. It offends people. This is why something is racist here is still racist in Australia. The idea of not wanting to be racist is respecting people's beliefs & not wanting to cause hurt & upset. By trying to be clever "well if I wear a mask instead of paint", "it's not racist in a different country" you can cause hurt & upset. Why would anyone who is not a racist or at least someone looking to cause hurt or cause trouble try to get around the whole racist thing by trying to get around it with a technicality?
    It's not a court room here where you try get away with a technicality.
    I said 95%of the posters here because if you read their comments they are trying to be clever and say well if I change this tiny thing I can't be called a racist. Why? Why do that when you know it still caused hurt & upset?

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm trying to help you see your hippocrasy. If you say something that might offend someone, you apologise because that's not your intention. So intent comes into it. I say to my mate "Do you want to come over for a BBQ and watch the kiwis v the Pakis on Sunday?" It's not racist because there's no intent.

Help!!!! wrote:
    Jeez dude maybe get out more or get down your local massage parlour. A ride might get rid of your frustrations

Wow that really proved your point on racism. Did it take long to come up with that gem?

No they are not.

Pave point will disagree with you. Also the wonderful Father Mc Ferri

Wow that really proved your point on racism. Did it take long to come up with that gem?

Nope just came to me :rolleyes:
    Anyways I'm gonna go have a beer or two
    Laters Paddy Crackers :D

• Advertisement

Pave point will disagree with you. Also the wonderful Father Mc Ferri

They can disagree all they like.

Advertisement