Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    White Americans have been racist against Irish people over the years. In Australia you had the signs saying no Irish.
    You honestly think none of this is racism? What do you actually call it?

Racism or xenophobia. It's illegal and companies or landlords would get in trouble if someone laid a complaint. What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Yeah_Right wrote:
    I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm trying to help you see your hippocrasy. If you say something that might offend someone, you apologise because that's not your intention. So intent comes into it. I say to my mate "Do you want to come over for a BBQ and watch the kiwis v the Pakis on Sunday?" It's not racist because there's no intent.

Black people use the term ni**er. I've seen it on tv and hear it in song. Even when they call their friends this it is racist. It is a racist word. Now if both parties are happy with this I'm delighted for them but it is still possibly the most racist word in existence. They are being racist by using this word friends or not.

Yeah_Right wrote:
    Racism or xenophobia. It's illegal and companies or landlords would get in trouble if someone laid a complaint. What's your point?

The legislation that covers this is racism legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I googled it and can't find any legislation called people being assholes. Closest I can find is racism legislation.
    Can you point me to any links on the people being assholes legislation?

I cant help but think If some had their way black make-up in costumes would be illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Pave point will disagree with you. Also the wonderful Father Mc Ferri

They can all they want Interbreeding does not make a race. They are called IRISH Travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

It would be nice if you could actually quote this racism legislation. It is a number of pieces of legislation in Ireland. One of the protected groups is race a totally seperate group is membership of the travelling community. Also protected is the age discrimination, disability and sex and sexual orientation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

We've already decided that you're trolling. Thread is about racism not religion. Check the title. There's a Christianity forum might want to listen to your issues with Jews.

You were quite willing to drag nationalities and subCultures into it when it suited you.

You're in plentiful company all the same. It seems the more enthusiastic somebody is for outrage over the lady's photos of blackface, the less enthusiasm they have to comment on her "Fake Jews" comments.

To be fair, you did give some sort of an opinion on it. Better than most. I don't fully agree with your "religions/gods are a load of rubbish therefore discrimination based on religion is a non issue", but at least you offered some opinion on it rather than 100% fingers in ears treatment.

I don't think it's trolling at all to point out the warped and ironic inconsistencies/prejudice/discrimination involved in many people's outrage over... prejudice and discrimination.

I still don't get why you keep bringing up ads discriminating against the Irish in Aus. We know it happened and it was illegal. I don't think anyone is disputing this. Are you saying there needs to be a law change in Australia or something?

They can all they want Interbreeding does not make a race. They are called IRISH Travellers.

Thats a downright nasty comment. The thing about people like you is the mask slips. You have shown your true colours with that comment. Thank you. I can now rest my case.

Yeah_Right wrote:
    I still don't get why you keep bringing up ads discriminating against the Irish in Aus. We know it happened and it was illegal. I don't think anyone is disputing this. Are you saying there needs to be a law change in Australia or something?

Why was it illegal? Because it was racist?

• Advertisement

You're in plentiful company all the same. It seems the more enthusiastic somebody is for outrage over the lady's photos of blackface, the less enthusiasm they have to comment on her "Fake Jews" comments.

What have you against the Jews. Why can't you leave them alone. What have the Jews ever done on you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Black people use the term ni**er. I've seen it on tv and hear it in song. Even when they call their friends this it is racist. It is a racist word. Now if both parties are happy with this I'm delighted for them but it is still possibly the most racist word in existence. They are being racist by using this word friends or not.
    The people who slurs are directed towards taking ownership of them is not an act of racism/sexism/whatever against themselves. A black guy calling another black guy 'my n**ger' isn't being racist to the other person he is addressing, just like a gay man isn't being homophobic against himself by referring to himself as a 'f**got' or whatnot. It reduces the impact those words have and to some extent acts as a defense mechanism so that the next time someone calls that gay man a 'f**got' rather than feel marginalised about it he is more likely to think "damn right I am!"

It's different of course if it's not meant endearingly like a black guy angrily calling another a 'typical n**ger' or whatnot for wronging them and at that point it's a weird gray area true. But when it's meant endearingly, it's not intended as racist, sexist or whatever.

What have you against the Jews. Why can't you leave them alone. What have the Jews ever done on you?

That's a pathetic attempt at turning my concern about the "fake jews" comments, and why are they not as much an issue as "fake jamaicans" or "fake frenchmen" back on me.

Especially from someone who "doesn't believe" in Jews, or the existence of bigotry and prejudice based on religion.

The more people try to avoid the "Fake Jews" comments from that lady the more intrigued I am by the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I thought you said Jews weren't a race?

That's a pathetic attempt at turning my concern about the "fake jews" comments, and why are they not as much an issue as "fake jamaicans" or "fake frenchmen" back on me.

Look you keep bringing up fake Jews and expect me to comment on them. Why won't you tell us about them. Educate me about fake jews. Make your point please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Well, are you talking about the Judeans people front or the People's Front of Judea?

I thought you said Jews weren't a race?

They aren't. Irish aren't a race French aren't a race. Muslims aren't a race. Catholics aren't a race. Travellers aren't a race.

Well, are you talking about the Judeans people front or the People's Front of Judea?

What have the Romans ever done for us! :)

Isn't it funny that most guys can recite that movie word for word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

anyone else notice that in joe.ie's little synopsis of her status they carelessly forgot to throw in her jew remark?

• Advertisement

Look you keep bringing up fake Jews and expect me to comment on them. Why won't you tell us about them. Educate me about fake jews. Make your point please.

You repeatedly stated you had received formal education on what is and isn't racist.

You repeatedly criticised those who won't say XYZ is racist.

So you seemed like the perfect person to ask about the ladies "Fake Jews" comment.

So you say it's not a big deal. In that you agree with zxclnic that fake Jamaicas are a very very bad thing but Fake Jews, shur it's not really worth any OUTRAGE at all is it.

I say if fake frenchmen is a very bad thing, then fake Jews should be also condemned by our moral and ethical overlords. But they seem reluctant to do so. It strikes me as strange that those willing to be outraged for all sorts of groups are all outraged out when it comes to the Jews and only* the Jews.

*Well, people with special needs don't figure too highly on your particular outrage-ometer either I guess. At least the others didn't go there.

They aren't. Irish aren't a race French aren't a race. Muslims aren't a race. Catholics aren't a race. Travellers aren't a race.

Hold on. You said that the ads discriminating against the Irish in are Australia were racist and now you are saying the Irish aren't a race :confused:

Do you even know what you are arguing now?

Depp wrote: »
    anyone else notice that in joe.ie's little synopsis of her status they carelessly forgot to throw in her jew remark?

I hadn't, because there is a long list of things I would do to myself with a hot poker before browsing that site.

It does seem like a strange omission doesn't it?

You repeatedly stated you had received formal education on what is and isn't racist.

You repeatedly criticised those who won't say XYZ is racist.

So you seemed like the perfect person to ask about the ladies "Fake Jews" comment.

So you say it's not a big deal. In that you agree with zxclnic that fake Jamaicas are a very very bad thing but Fake Jews, shur it's not really worth any OUTRAGE at all is it.

I say if fake frenchmen is a very bad thing, then fake Jews should be also condemned by our moral and ethical overlords. But they seem reluctant to do so. It strikes me as strange that those willing to be outraged for all sorts of groups are all outraged out when it comes to the Jews and only* the Jews.

*Well, people with special needs don't figure too highly on your particular outrage-ometer either I guess. At least the others didn't go there.

I never mentioned fake Jews, fake Frenchman or anything else fake.
    You want to know what I was thought about Jews in school? I was thought that Jews murdered Jesus. I was never thought about fake Jews. I was thought that Jewish religion was wrong (these poor guys were going to hell) and the Catholic religion was the only real religion.
    This is all I was thought about Jews. I don't believe myself that any of this is true and they are not my thoughts on the subject at all but it's what I was thought. As I said before I don't like talking about religion because I don't believe in it and I don't like to offend religious people. I respect that they believe in it.
    yet again I apologize if I offended anyone's religious beliefs. It was not my intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I remember many years ago the Lonely Planet guide on Ireland saying there was a "particularly ignorant form of racism" to be found here. Seems like nothing much has changed.

Yeah_Right wrote:
    Hold on. You said that the ads discriminating against the Irish in are Australia were racist and now you are saying the Irish aren't a race

As per the link above, racism can include other nationalities, ethnic groups from the same country. So yes the Australians were being racist towards the Irish even though we are the same race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

I love when people sneer "such and such a group are racist plebs" oblivious to the irony. :)

I never mentioned fake Jews, fake Frenchman or anything else fake.
    You want to know what I was thought about Jews in school? I was thought that Jews murdered Jesus. I was never thought about fake Jews. I was thought that Jewish religion was wrong (these poor guys were going to hell) and the Catholic religion was the only real religion.
    This is all I was thought about Jews. I don't believe myself that any of this is true and they are not my thoughts on the subject at all but it's what I was thought. As I said before I don't like talking about religion because I don't believe in it and I don't like to offend religious people. I respect that they believe in it.
    yet again I apologize if I offended anyone's religious beliefs. It was not my intention.

I reckon it's probably time you updated your education on racism/prejudice/bigotry/discrimination in that case rather than lording it over people about the fantastic education you received on it. It doesn't seem all that great at all in light of some of your comments.

It's not really surprising that the rest of us didn't receive the same speil. Seems like a rather skewed version of treating other people with respect.

The more people try to avoid the "Fake Jews" comments from that lady the more intrigued I am by the whole thing.

Let's try this from a different angle because you haven't committed yourself or even a point of view on your fake Jews.
    Who are they?
    Where are they?
    Why do you insist that they are fake? I have visions of Catholics in fake ringlet hair and long beards?
    Why do you keep bringing them up?

• Advertisement

I reckon it's probably time you updated your education on racism/prejudice/bigotry/discrimination in that case rather than lording it over people about the fantastic education you received on it. It doesn't seem all that great at all in light of some of your comments.

It's not really surprising that the rest of us didn't receive the same speil. Seems like a rather skewed version of treating other people with respect.

Same rubbish each post. Do you know anything at all about your fake jews? Again would you care to enlighten us? Please show us once and for all that you are not a troll.

Advertisement