Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    As per the link above, racism can include other nationalities, ethnic groups from the same country. So yes the Australians were being racist towards the Irish even though we are the same race

So there were some Australians being racist against the Irish. I think everyone realises it happened, it was wrong and the people involved were rightly taken to task over it. You originally brought it up to prove that using Paki to describe Pakistanis was racist. I still can't see the correlation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Yeah_Right wrote:
    So there were some Australians being racist against the Irish. I think everyone realises it happened, it was wrong and the people involved were rightly taken to task over it. You originally brought it up to prove that using Paki to describe Pakistanis was racist. I still can't see the correlation.

The point being some were trying to say that racism is totally about race. If this was the case then the white Australian can't be racist to us white Irish. Likewise us white Irish couldn't be racist to white Irish travellers.
    So my point is yes Australians were being racist against us Irish even though we are from the same race. Yes settled Irish can be racist to irish travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Same rubbish each post. Do you know anything at all about your fake jews? Again would you care to enlighten us? Please show us once and for all that you are not a troll.

Here, you are the one belittling people who didn't receive such a fantastic education as yourself. I was only asking for you to share the benefit of it. If you hadn't a notion you could have said pages back!

The point being some were trying to say that racism is totally about race. If this was the case then the white Australian can't be racist to us white Irish. Likewise us white Irish couldn't be racist to white Irish travellers.
    So my point is yes Australians were being racist against us Irish even though we are from the same race. Yes settled Irish can be racist to irish travellers.

I'd argue that it's prejudice or xenophobia as opposed to racism but that's getting into semantics. I still fail to see what it has to do with whether or not Paki is a racist term in NZ and Australia.

Yeah_Right wrote:
    I'd argue that it's prejudice or xenophobia as opposed to racism but that's getting into semantics. I still fail to see what it has to do with whether or not Paki is a racist term in NZ and Australia.

Nothing. You linked the two. I don't think I did

• Advertisement

Here, you are the one belittling people who didn't receive such a fantastic education as yourself. I was only asking for you to share the benefit of it. If you hadn't a notion you could have said pages back!

So you won't share your knowledge on your fake jews?
    I was right 24 hours ago. I spotted a troll from the start

So you won't share your knowledge on your fake jews?
    I was right 24 hours ago. I spotted a troll from the start

Why would I have asked you if I knew all about it? I haven't come on here pretending to be an authority on anything.

If asking questions about something you don't understand, to someone who presents themselves as being educated on the topic, is trolling then it's probably time to pull the plug on the Internet for all concerned.

If asking questions about something you don't understand, to someone who presents themselves as being educated on the topic, is trolling then it's probably time to pull the plug on the Internet for all concerned.

Go away you troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Go away you troll.

Resorting to insults. You, have obviously won this debate.

Resorting to insults. You, have obviously won this debate.

Look read his posts. He's not done the Jewish community any favours in the last 24 hours. I mean read them objectively. You'll see he has no interest in fake Jews (whatever they are supposed to be). He has used the Jewish community and religion To troll IMO. He's had plenty of chances to highlight the fake Jews plight but has refused to. He hasn't asked any other poster about Jews and despite me saying several times I'm not religious and have no knowledge of these mysterious Jews he has harassed me (and only me) for over 24 hours about them. How I'm supposed to magically know about something I've never heard of I don't know.
    Please read his comments and come back and call me a liar then.
    I don't know why he seems so against the Jewish community. I'm truly lost as to his motivation on this. But a troll he is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

'Sleeper', stop feeding and get out of that thread before your brain turns to custard, no good can come of it I tell ya!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

I can't deal with this PC crap, god it's a costume, someone dressing up, not racist at all. it's like suggesting that people should only dress up as characters of their own race? Only becomes "racist" when someone goes out of their way to post about it on fb...

222233 wrote:
    I can't deal with this PC crap, god it's a costume, someone dressing up, not racist at all. it's like suggesting that people should only dress up as characters of their own race? Only becomes "racist" when someone goes out of their way to post about it on fb...

Kkk costume is just dressing up for Halloween. :(

No one mentioned the kK?

The fact that other people were "calling out their racist representations" is in fact in my opinion more racist than anything else. Is it racist to dress up as a white person?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Zxclnic wrote:
    'Sleeper', stop feeding and get out of that thread before your bra in turns to custard, no good can come of it I tell ya!

I hear you. Thanks for the friendly advice
    I haven't a problem answering anyone's questions. I'll debate till the cows come home and am happy to shake anyone's hand afterwards. I'll take ridicule on the chin if it comes my way but why oh why do we have trolls with nothing positive to say, won't actually voice their own opinions and just try derail a debate?
    I'm not allowed call him any names but they can't stop me thinking a few choice names. :)

222233 wrote:
    The fact that other people were "calling out their racist representations" is in fact in my opinion more racist than anything else. Is it racist to dress up as a white person?

I'm just kidding.
    In answer to your question A black guy would look quite funny with a few bottles of tipex on his hands and face :)

I'm just kidding.
    In answer to your question A black guy would look quite funny with a few bottles of tipex on his hands and face :)

Exactly, I recently heard someone say "you don't understand racism until it's happened to you, that's why you don't find it offensive." and I find that statement offensive, as a woman I don't think it's sexist when a guy dresses up as a girl on halloween or vice versa. I personally think people are far too sensitive and are the cause of many of the divides in society

Nothing. You linked the two. I don't think I did

No I didn't. You did. Post #700 of this thread. You quoted my comment about Paki not being a racist term in NZ or Aus, said it is then brought up the "no Irish".

Also you accused NZ and Aus of being openly racist countries and I'd agree about Aus. They have some very serious race issues but I think you're wrong about NZ. I'm not saying it's a utopia and there are some ignorant ****ers there but calling it openly racist is BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

222233 wrote: »
    Exactly, I recently heard someone say "you don't understand racism until it's happened to you, that's why you don't find it offensive." and I find that statement offensive, as a woman I don't think it's sexist when a guy dresses up as a girl on halloween or vice versa. I personally think people are far too sensitive and are the cause of many of the divides in society

The worse racism I've ever experienced has been by black people. Do I hate black people? NO!!!
    Would I take offence if one of my mates called me the same words?? NO!!
    Why?
    Because if the words are said in a nasty way its racism if its banter between friends then its not
    I do not care what the pc brigade like to try to force feed me

• Advertisement

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Because if the words are said in a nasty way its racism if its banter between friends then its not
    I do not care what the pc brigade like to try to force feed me

I agree and if the words are said with the intent to incite hatred then it's racism, making a joke is making a joke nothing more nothing less. Dressing up is dressing up who cares what you dress up as, there is someone out there who is bound to be offended by any costume you choose.

222233 wrote:

Racism is a very hard thing to define. Look at all the different opinions here. Totally agree sometimes people are too sensitive but likewise some people aren't sensitive enough about it. My acting idol is Clint Eastwood. I was shocked at his attitude to racism recently. Suggested things were better when he was a kid and there was no political correctness. He fell off the pedestal I had him on.

The guys in dresses at Halloween, there trying it out. Bet some will be in the wife's underwear draw sometime in the future. :)

Racism is a very hard thing to define. Look at all the different opinions here. Totally agree sometimes people are too sensitive but likewise some people aren't sensitive enough about it. My acting idol is Clint Eastwood. I was shocked at his attitude to racism recently. Suggested things were better when he was a kid and there was no political correctness. He fell off the pedestal I had him on.

The guys in dresses at Halloween, there trying it out. Bet some will be in the wife's underwear draw sometime in the future. :)

I agree that there are different opinions about it but to suggest that someone dressing up with black face paint is racist.. come on.

I worry that things have gone too far now with PC, I work in a culturally diverse team at work and can safely say that many news topics are out of question for discussion in the tea room as someone typically gets offended by something someone else will say. I feel like I can't have an opinion on things because someone else will deem me as racist and that's not okay, prohibiting freedom of speech is oppression as is racism.

Yeah_Right wrote:
    No I didn't. You did. Post #700 of this thread. You quoted my comment about Paki not being a racist term in NZ or Aus, said it is then brought up the "no Irish".

Yes you are right here. I then used the no Irish signs to someone else just to point out that a white person can be racist to another white person. I think we got confused about the two separate posts then.
    Yeah_Right wrote:
    Also you accused NZ and Aus of being openly racist countries and I'd agree about Aus. They have some very serious race issues but I think you're wrong about NZ. I'm not saying it's a utopia and there are some ignorant ****ers there but calling it openly racist is BS.

I concede here with nz. That was heat of the moment stuff Nz people are very like the Irish 40 years ago or so. And totally agree with the Australians. I think even the Australians would agree that they are racist. Not every last one of them obviously. Its funny but I nearly admire them that they can be so upfront about their racism. They really don't care what you think about them.

I concede here with nz. That was heat of the moment stuff Nz people are very like the Irish 40 years ago or so. And totally agree with the Australians. I think even the Australians would agree that they are racist. Not every last one of them obviously. Its funny but I nearly admire them that they can be so upfront about their racism. They really don't care what you think about them.

You're right about the Aussies, they don't give a ****.

I'd say Ireland is like NZ was 40 years ago. There is a much larger ethnic diversity over there than here. And dressing up as a character that involved painting your face black is not an issue there.

I don't know why he seems so against the Jewish community. I'm truly lost as to his motivation on this. But a troll he is

Calling me anti semitic?
    For questioning why so many wanted to jump in the anti black face "fake jamaicans" wagon, but so so so few wanted to discuss the "fake jews" reference?

Calling me anti semitic for insinuating that there is a deep deep anti semitic vibe in the right-on hierarchy?

Calling me anti semitic and a troll for asking questions of a self professed expert on these matters?

You danced around it long enough, you could have just come straight out and said you hadn't a notion. Saying you don't believe religious discrimination or bigotry is a real issue because you don't believe in it is not the same as saying "I don't know, your guess is as good as mine, sounds a bit strange".

I haven't asked you any questions on it since you stopped dancing around it while making negative remarks about people with special needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

Calling someone anti Jewish when they defend Jews? Bizarre.

He hasn't defended Jews. Read all his posts. He won't actually voice an option one way or the other. He won't explain what he means by fake jews. Who are they, where are they, why does he think that they are fake? He hasn't explained any of this yet he verbally attacks me because I won't comment on fake jews. I can quote what is on the Internet that there was a mention of fake jews 1200 or so. This isn't what he means.
    I challenge anyone to go back over his comments today and yesterday objectively. You'll see he hasn't contributed at all to the discussion. He makes unreasonable demands & won't voice an opinion on or explain fake jews.
    I saw it again he is trolling. & shame on him for using the Jewish community in such a way

Can you show me any of his comments where he defended Jews? Even one comment?
    He claims to be defending them but actually seems to know nothing about them.

• Advertisement

He claims to be defending them but actually seems to know nothing about them.

I take it you're an expert on travellers, pakistanis, various peoples with dark skin etc?

Is there a test we need to pass to be allowed query why one group is flavour of the month but others aren't (sounds like discrimination to me!)?

Are you still calling me anti semitic?

Advertisement