Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

I take it you're an expert on travellers, pakistanis, various peoples with dark skin etc?

Is there a test we need to pass to be allowed query why one group is flavour of the month but others aren't (sounds like discrimination to me!)?

Are you still calling me anti semitic?

I'll give you a test, though not a very scientific one as we're talking about emotions here.
    As you 'black up' or don jackboots and swastika, say to yourself..'I know I'm going to offend people here, so is this really worth it?''

You might decide that it is worth it and that's your choice, but be prepared in return to face accusations of insensitivity or even racism as a result of your jolly japes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Zxclnic wrote: »
    I'll give you a test, though not a very scientific one as we're talking about emotions here.
    As you 'black up' or don jackboots and swastika, say to yourself..'I know I'm going to offend people here, so is this really worth it?''

You might decide that it is worth it and that's your choice, but be prepared in return to face accusations of insensitivity or even racism as a result of your jolly japes.

You're definitely confusing me with somebody else it that is supposed to be directed specifically at me rather than general good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37211350

I agree completely with the woman here. If it's not done in a mocking way, as blackface was done originally, I don't see what the problem is.

A kid dressed up as his idol, who happened to be black. Where's the harm in that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 niamhstokes1

In that case, Hollywood made a very "racist" movie in 2004 called "White Chicks" about two black men who dress up like white women and use make up etc.. to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I agree completely with the woman here. If it's not done in a mocking way, as blackface was done originally, I don't see what the problem is.

A kid dressed up as his idol, who happened to be black. Where's the harm in that?

"OMG that ****ing racist" as some on here would have you believe.

• Advertisement

Except the thread title is 'Group of MEN in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface'..
    ....not young boy in Australia.... not fake Jews (still don't really know what that is btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Let's just remember that Al Jolson, the 30's singer of stuff like 'Mammie', was probably one of THE most popular acts in the history of show business at the time.

His 'cartoon' caricature appearance of a black man would not be tolerated today by any of the PC brigade.

Mr Jolson was a Jew.

tac

She goes on to say "Not even the fake Jews are this dense."

Whats that supposed to mean?

Reminder for zxclnics sake.
    The quote from the source of the "blackface outrage" lady is right there on page one like, not even fake jamaicans would gloss over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Reminder for zxclnics sake.
    The quote from the source of the "blackface outrage" lady is right there on page one like, not even fake jamaicans would gloss over it.

has it been established what a "fake jew" is?

Except the thread title is 'Group of MEN in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface'..
    ....not young boy in Australia.... not fake Jews (still don't really know what that is btw)

To be fair, the poor oul Pakistanis, travellers, French people have all been dragged in here to smear things.

Yet none of the outraged want to address actual comments on a particular group mentioned in the original source.

• Advertisement

has it been established what a "fake jew" is?

I've tried asking self professed on thread experts about it but it's obviously kryptonite to them, they lose all ability to be outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Fake jews

After the Bar Kokhba revolt of 135 AD, Emperor Hadrian cleared the Holy Land of all Jews–both real and fake....The real Jews either believed in the Jewish Messiah and became Christians or disappeared from history forever. The Babylonian Jews moved to Hispania and renamed it Sepharad. From that time onward they always referred to themselves as "Jews" . . . and never as Samaritans.

From above you can see that "fake jews" has a genuine history & is a genuine term. It's not an insult.

I don't believe she was referring to the above. I'd Hazzard a guess she was referring to people dressing up as Jews for Halloween or something.
    Either way I can't see any reason to jump up & down about the comment. I find it funny that some of the posters saying people are too sensitive on racism automatically jumped to the conclusion that she was being offensive to the Jewish community. Kettle, black and all that :)

But if dressing up as a fake Jamaican is offensive and outrageous, why would a fake Jew costume not be just as offensive???

Are you calling me anti semitic, while saying it's okay to caricature the Jewish people?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Fake jews

After the Bar Kokhba revolt of 135 AD, Emperor Hadrian cleared the Holy Land of all Jews–both real and fake....The real Jews either believed in the Jewish Messiah and became Christians or disappeared from history forever. The Babylonian Jews moved to Hispania and renamed it Sepharad. From that time onward they always referred to themselves as "Jews" . . . and never as Samaritans.

From above you can see that "fake jews" has a genuine history & is a genuine term. It's not an insult.

I don't believe she was referring to the above. I'd Hazzard a guess she was referring to people dressing up as Jews for Halloween or something.
    Either way I can't see any reason to jump up & down about the comment. I find it funny that some of the posters saying people are too sensitive on racism automatically jumped to the conclusion that she was being offensive to the Jewish community. Kettle, black and all that :)

i dont think anybody here has automatically jumped to any conclusion. a bit difficult to as nobody knows what the term means and we are still none the wiser on that score.

But if dressing up as a fake Jamaican is offensive and outrageous, why would a fake Jew costume not be just as offensive???
    I believe that she was offered by people dressing up as Jews. I think that was what she was saying and why she brought to up. I have never met her so I can't say this is the case but in my mind it fits in with what she said.
    Are you calling me anti semitic, while saying it's okay to caricature the Jewish people?
    I believe that you are a troll. Ive stated this already.
    I think it's been a worthwhile thread even if the only thing accomplished was to show one of the people saying others were too sensitive on racism come up with a comment suggesting that travellers are inbred. That's one less proud mother in the world.

i dont think anybody here has automatically jumped to any conclusion. a bit difficult to as nobody knows what the term means and we are still none the wiser on that score.

special circumstances has been jumping up and down for days now, highly offended that I wouldn't take up the plight of the fake jews. I believe fake Jews to be idiots dressing up as Jews.

Has no one googled fake Jews? There's lots on them. Fake Jews are in the book of revelation.

I believe that she was offered by people dressing up as Jews. I think that was what she was saying and why she brought to up. I have never met her so I can't say this is the case but in my mind it fits in with what she said.

Yet you and several others absolutely refuse to say stereotyping/caricaturing the Jewish people is as offensive as blackface. You've just danced around it again, and called me an anti semitic troll.
    I believe that you are a troll. Ive stated this already.
    I think it's been a worthwhile thread even if the only thing accomplished was to show one of the people saying others were too sensitive on racism come up with a comment suggesting that travellers are inbred. That's one less proud mother in the world.
    I'm not even sure you're talking about me, as I don't remember dragging travellers into this at all in any of my posts except to point out the inconsistencies of posters who want to include certain groups (pakistanis etc) in the discussion only when it suits them.
    If you are denying the scientific fact of a higher rate of various syndromes within the community due to marrying too closely, then I believe you are doing these people a great disservice. They need help with these conditions and the education to avoid them if possible, not people pretending that they don't exist.

They can all they want Interbreeding does not make a race. They are called IRISH Travellers.

Definitely not taking about you.

I'm not even sure you're talking about me, as I don't remember dragging travellers into this at all in any of my posts except to point out the inconsistencies of posters who want to include certain groups (pakistanis etc) in the discussion only when it suits them. If you are denying the scientific fact of a higher rate of various syndromes within the community due to marrying too closely, then I believe you are doing these people a great disservice. They need help with these conditions and the education to avoid them if possible, not people pretending that they don't exist.

Yet you and several others absolutely refuse to say stereotyping/caricaturing the Jewish people is as offensive as blackface. You've just danced around it again, and called me an anti semitic troll.

I haven't refused anything. I wasn't willing to comment on fake jews till I knew what it was. I now believe she was talking about people dressing up as Jews. If the Jewish community feel offended by people dressing up as them then I believe people shouldn't dress as them. I assume Jewish clothing, ringlet hair, beards etc have religious meaning. If, like me, someone knows nothing about the meaning of these things & they dress up in that way just for fun I think it shows a hell of a lack of respect.

racism
    ˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/Submit
    noun
    the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
    "theories of racism"
    prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Although jews aren't a race I do believe people can be racist towards them. I believe people can be racist towards travellers too.

Hallelujah, I was beginning to think the rumoured bias against the Jewish people here was true. It only took 77 pages on mobile for any of "the outraged on behalf of selected other peoples" to acknowledge that caricaturing Jews could be a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I went to a fancy dress party years ago where the theme was come as a pop/rock star. I went as Snoop Dogg. Full pimp outfit, jewellery, cane, braided hair, goatee and dyed face, hands and neck. Was that racist?

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I went to a fancy dress party years ago where the theme was come as a pop/rock star. I went as Snoop Dogg. Full pimp outfit, jewellery, cane, braided hair, goatee and dyed face, hands and neck. Was that racist?

Fair play to you, Snoop's about 6'4'' so you're either a very tall lad or you brought your own stilts.
    Did you have the foresight to actually grow your own 'goatee' a few weeks prior to the exciting day or did you instead opt for the cheap but obviously inauthentic false goatee (available for a limited period in Lidl's), lets hope it was the former.

Finally, it's all very well dying your face, hands and neck but anyone with even a passing interest in Snoop knows that he often wears his shirt wide open to at least three or four buttons down, so please tell me that you didn't neglect your torso whilst 'blacking up', otherwise you would have looked very unconvincing as Snoop but extremely convincing as a right fùcking eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm blacked up right now, courtesy of punch shoe polish

It's very liberating i must say, I might get a little hitler moustache too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Fair play to you, Snoop's about 6'4'' so you're either a very tall lad or you brought your own stilts.
    Did you have the foresight to actually grow your own 'goatee' a few weeks prior to the exciting day or did you instead opt for the cheap but obviously inauthentic false goatee (available for a limited period in Lidl's), lets hope it was the former.

Finally, it's all very well dying your face, hands and neck but anyone with even a passing interest in Snoop knows that he often wears his shirt wide open to at least three or four buttons down, so please tell me that you didn't neglect your torso whilst 'blacking up', otherwise you would have looked very unconvincing as Snoop but extremely convincing as a right fùcking eejit.

Translated, ''you looked silly in your halloween costume'' isnt that the point?

Depp wrote: »

I thought he was saying just dressing up in the style of somebody is a bit amateur, serious fancy dressers disappear the subject and assume their identity/life fully.

I thought he was saying just dressing up in the style of somebody is a bit amateur, serious fancy dressers disappear the subject and assume their identity/life fully.

ain't nobody got time for that, everyone knows the best halloween costume is one thought of and knocked together hastily the morning of :D

I wouldn't know Depp, you have to be reasonably cautious on a thread such as this one.
    I could now be talking to a full paid up SJW like my good self - underpants worn over trousers, optional.

or

I might be addressing one of those posters who closely resemble a precocious 13-year-old boy trying to catch out their religion teacher with a rapid-fire volley of but what if this? and what if that? type questions.;)

ain't nobody got time for that

careful now!!!

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm blacked up right now, courtesy of punch shoe polish

It's very liberating i must say, I might get a little hitler moustache too

You don't, by any chance, work for the Klu Klux Klan premium sex line?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't know Depp, you have to be reasonably cautious on a thread such as this one.
    I could now be talking to a full paid up SJW like my good self - underpants worn over trousers, optional.

or

I might be addressing one of those posters who closely resemble a precocious 13-year-old boy trying to catch out their religion teacher with a rapid-fire volley of but what if this? and what if that? type questions.;)

I was making a comment on halloween costumes? :confused:

Advertisement