Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

Depp wrote: »
    I was making a comment on halloween costumes? :confused:

Fair enough.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

Zxclnic wrote: »
    I'll give you a test, though not a very scientific one as we're talking about emotions here.
    As you 'black up' or don jackboots and swastika, say to yourself..'I know I'm going to offend people here, so is this really worth it?''

You might decide that it is worth it and that's your choice, but be prepared in return to face accusations of insensitivity or even racism as a result of your jolly japes.
    You keep framing "black up" as intent to offend, and any time someone says it's often just done to look like a famous person - absolutely no intent to offend, if anything it's admiration (how the bejeesus could that be racist? :confused:)... you don't comment, just return to how offensive it is to "black up" as if everyone who is doing so is a KKK member dressing up as a lynched black person.

You keep framing "black up" as intent to offend, and any time someone says it's often just done to look like a famous person - absolutely no intent to offend, if anything it's admiration (how the bejeesus could that be racist? :confused:)... you don't comment, just return to how offensive it is to "black up" as if everyone who is doing so is a KKK member dressing up as a lynched black person.

In the last analysis it's really about whether you care enough about someone being offended by your actions or words to see it as a reason to change your behaviour or language, or whether you believe that the offending action or word is so precious or important to you and your culture that it must be preserved in the interests of free expression or free speech and damn the consequences.
    As far as I know 'blacking up' is not against the law, so whomever feels the compelling need can do so to their heart's content.
    People will take offence - as I'm sure those attention seeking clowns outside the Dublin pub were made aware - but it's up to each individual to decide whether or not they give a toss
    You can shout 'It's not offensive'' till you're blue in the face...ouch!
    But it will be offensive to some, and they'll know that you know it is.
    It's up to you.

But why take offence if no offence/hurt/malice whatsoever is intended? If there is actually more admiration and just good-natured fun inherent than anything else?

People who insist on taking offence when absolutely none is intended are rather insufferable. Like those absolute morons who got offended by the picture of Ellen Degeneres and Usain Bolt.

Bit insulting to people's intelligence too, to deem them incapable of seeing when something does not mean any harm and is just an homage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

But why take offence if no offence/hurt/malice whatsoever is intended? If there is actually more admiration and just good-natured fun inherent than anything else?

Kathy Bates in Misery springs to mind. "I'm your number one fan"
    :)

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Kathy Bates in Misery springs to mind. "I'm your number one fan"
    :)
    Yeah blackface to look like someone is totally the same as hacking a poor fecker's legs off. :D

People who insist on taking offence when absolutely none is intended are rather insufferable. Like those absolute morons who got offended by the picture of Ellen Degeneres and Usain Bolt.

Bit insulting to people's intelligence too, to deem them incapable of seeing when something does not mean any harm and is just an homage.

Don't conflate the thread title under discussion with the Degeneres/Bolt thingy, there's a separate thread for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Guess I can't wear me mortal kombat scorpion outfit then. In case I offend the immortals

:D
    Yeah blackface to look like someone is totally the same as hacking a poor fecker's legs off. :D

You're getting carried away again. If memory serves she 'only' broke his feet......he still had his legs plus feet attached at the end of the film,...whoops, forgot about 'spoiler'!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I thought Jews were a religion more so than a race....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

cursai wrote: »

Jews are people. People get offended. Judaism is a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

DNA seems to tell a different story. http://newobserveronline.com/race-or-religion-jewish-genes-identified/

Zxclnic wrote: »
    Don't conflate the thread title under discussion with the Degeneres/Bolt thingy, there's a separate thread for that one.
    Huh? Just making a comparison - there's nothing anywhere here that says "Don't mention topics being discussed on another thread". :confused:

Nah. Not convinced. That study only shows that they have common ancestors through dna. As do we all. They're a group of people following a religion or culture I still say. Like roman catholics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Nah. Not convinced. That study only shows that they have common ancestors through dna. As do we all. They're a group of people following a religion or culture I still say. Like roman catholics.

Are you a Professor of Genetics, I isually take scientific info from qualified person. But I would be happy to hear your critique of his paper.

Are you a Professor of Genetics, I isually take scientific info from qualified person. But I would be happy to hear your critique of his paper.

He's got an agenda first of all. And if YOU read the paper he didn't prove or come to the conclusion that they have a unique genetic code. But they share common genes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

From the little I've gleaned about Christianity over the years, I've discovered that you can become a Roman Catholic simply by following the tenets of the Roman Catholic version of Christianity, and becoming part of the Church by accepting the catechism and becoming confirmed in the faith. Your mother does not need to be one, nor does your father, for you to become ANY kind of Christian. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Judaism is somewhat different, as I'm sure you know. It is matriarchal in succession - you are not a Jew unless your mother was Jewish. Converting to Judaism from any other religion is fraught to say the least, and involves a lot of very hard personal decision-making, and, in the case of a male convert, a small operation. Perhaps, as a Christian, you may have fallen for a Jewish lady and wish to marry her, but you can bet your pension that SHE will not be the one to convert to Christianity in the vast majority of cases - family and bloodlines simply mean too much in Judaism.

Needless to say, few men go through with it all the way, but lots of women do convert. Their children are not going to be Jewish, though, but their grandchildren will be.

My wife is not Jewish, so our daughter is not Jewish, and, unless she converts, she never will be.

Our son, who died as a baby, would not have been Jewish either.

tac

Advertisement