Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What is your definition of blackface? Is it the ones in the dictionaries? Or does someone have to be singing Mammy on a tv in the 50s for it to count?

if you are referring to Al Jolson then that is blackface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

if you are referring to Al Jolson then that is blackface.

And what is it that makes Al Jolson blackface and not these guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    What colour are their faces? :)

Black, I think people need to stop taking SJW interpretations of something as Racist as "BlackFace." that was an actual racist thing. I'm basically snow white, If I put on fake tan it would look like me having a Black Face. But still would not make it “BlackFace.”

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Read the comments here & other threads. Most Irish people wouldn't know what racism is if it hit them in the face. There's a lot more to racism than videos of kids pointing fingers at black people on the underground saying ******, ******, ******. Look at how we treat travellers. We can't even get that right & they are Irish.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I'm not Irish...

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Maximus Alexander and Badly drunk boy. You're Facebook famous lads !!

• Advertisement

And what is it that makes Al Jolson blackface and not these guys?

If that actually needs explaining... Jesus.

If that actually needs explaining... Jesus.

Humour me.

Humour me.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

dav3 wrote: »
    A bunch of lads who are probably thick as pig s*** decided to paint their faces black and walk around Dublin. They got abused the entire day, I doubt the idiots will do it again. Lesson learned for most of them.

This.

No.

Because you can't in any consistent way.

• Advertisement

Because you can't in any consistent way.

Yes I Can just not going to. Maybe read up on him.

Yes I Can just not going to. Maybe read up on him.

Link?

Source?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,164 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

So this so called Women can change her hair colour, no problem, wants to beat up men in a pub and has a touch of anti Zionism.

What a class lady she is.

Link?

Source?

:pac:

You want a link to a very well known racist ?

You want a link to a very well know racist ?

No, I'm emulating you.

I know perfectly well who Al Jolson was, I know plenty about the history of blackface. Which is partly why I understand why people object to it. Seeing as you don't get it or don't want to, I'd say you're the one who needs to read up buddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

WTF is a Fake Jew ???

Only thing I can think of is the old Anti-Semitic Khazar canard that was very popular amongst the White Nationalist communities in America in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Think it is still popular in such enlightened places as Iran.
    In the late 19th century, a theory emerged that the core of today's Ashkenazi Jewry are genetically descended from a hypothetical Khazarian Jewish diaspora who had migrated westward from modern Russia and Ukraine into modern France and Germany. This theory still finds occasional support, but most scholars view it with skepticism. The theory is sometimes associated with antisemitism and anti-Zionism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazars

Again, we've no way of knowing what she meant by saying fake Jews, so that is just purely conjecture.

No, I'm emulating you.

I know perfectly well who Al Jolson was, I know plenty about the history of blackface. Which is partly why I understand why people object to it. Seeing as you don't get it or don't want to, I'd say you're the one who needs to read up buddy

Then why are you Comparing make-up to blackface ? Blackface included racial stereotypes like “yes boss.” also including portraying black people as simple. Also portraying singing and dancing in a racist fashion. I could go on.

Then why are you Comparing make-up to blackface ? Blackface included racial stereotypes like “yes boss.” also including portraying black people as simple. Also portraying singing and dancing in a racist fashion. I could go on.

No honey. That's a minstrel show, of which blackface (painting white skin to imitate black skin), is a part. Blackface like what these lads are doing.

No honey. That's a minstrel show, of which blackface (painting white skin to imitate black skin), is a part. Blackface like what these lads are doing.

Jesus... BlackFace mistral shows why we have a word for Blackface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I can't believe that she has appropriated our north European blonde hair!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207449759217277&set=a.1671135693373.2081876.1086794905&type=3&theater

LET THE BATTLE COMMENCE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing such a costume. Part of the reason for that is knowing there are idiots out there like the Facebook poster. These types generally go around looking for reasons to be outraged.

Jesus... BlackFace mistral shows why we have a word for Blackface.

Which is why we have that handy word to describe what these guys are doing. Blackface. Painting their white faces black. Blackface.

Which is why we have that handy word to describe what these guys are doing. Blackface. Painting their white faces black. Blackface.

You are being deliberately obtuse as the argument has fallen apart. One know well and good what black face is and looks like. Wearing black make-up is not black face. Next you will be saying those elves in is it holland are black face ?

sheep? wrote: »

Are those dreadlocks ? Who did we decide owns them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

So this so called Women can change her hair colour, no problem, wants to beat up men in a pub and has a touch of anti Zionism.

What a class lady she is.

Had a gawk at her Facebook page. Permanently angry female version of malcolm X. Imagine enjoying the sun in a beer garden while some idiot witch hunts you on twitter and Joe.ie ?

You are being deliberately obtuse as the argument has fallen apart. One know well and good what black face is and looks like. Wearing black make-up is not black face. Next you will be saying those elves in is it holland are black face ?

I'm not being obtuse, you're conflating two related but separate terms, minstrel show and blackface.

I'm not being obtuse, you're conflating two related but separate terms, minstrel show and blackface.

What's a mistral show and a lad in make-up got in common ? You are trying to turn blackface to a catch all term it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Having browsed around Facebook in relation to this earlier today, jesus, the only thing I can think is that it's an urgency that we get philosophy onto the secondary curriculum. The amount of confused, badly thought through arguments by the youth of today is shocking. Just generally stupid, reactionary and sometimes dangerous statements based on nothing but other stupid, dangerous statements. There's a lot of people out there who seem to be lacking any kind of argumentative empathy or analytical ability,even at a basic level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

So, these fake Jews?

I'm still baffled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mike Tyson the bald boxer with the big huge tattoo on his face? Yeah, no way to dress as him without blacking up....

You just need a blue tracksuit, a van and a pigeon.

Advertisement