Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group of men in Dublin cause outrage by wearing blackface

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

What's a mistral show and a lad in make-up got in common ? You are trying to turn blackface to a catch all term it is not.

The lads in question are wearing make-up that was popularised by minstrel shows, and has had a long history since of being used to perpetuate negative racial stereotypes in a mocking way. Many of them are wearing this make-up in a way that removes even the "I'm just dressing up as a specific black person" defence. They are either deliberately invoking the racist connotations of blackface, or don't give a shít that they are.

Seriously, look up blackface in a dictionary. It's in no way limited to use in relation to minstrel shows, I'm not the one trying to redefine it, you are. You don't know what blackface means and you can't spell minstrel, so you telling me to read up about the subject is pretty comical tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Looks like one of those northern English stag parties. They are always going around town doing this kind of ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

The lads in question are wearing make-up that was popularised by minstrel shows, and has had a long history since of being used to perpetuate negative racial stereotypes in a mocking way. Many of them are wearing this make-up in a way that removes even the "I'm just dressing up as a specific black person" defence. They are either deliberately invoking the racist connotations of blackface, or don't give a shít that they are.

Seriously, look up blackface in a dictionary. It's in no way limited to use in relation to minstrel shows, I'm not the one trying to redefine it, you are. You don't know what blackface means and you can't spell minstrel, so you telling me to read up about the subject is pretty comical tbh

Aw and people fall for it all the time. There goes the ball not suprising at all.

a sheep of a breed with a black face.
    make-up used by a non-black performer playing a black role.

What Role were they playing this should be good.

Aw and people fall for it all the time. There goes the ball not suprising at all.

a sheep of a breed with a black face.
    make-up used by a non-black performer playing a black role.

What Role were they playing this should be good.

Seems to range from "characters from Cool Runnings" to "whatever, a black person". Are you not able to see the pictures?

Seems to range from "characters from Cool Runnings" to "whatever, a black person". Are you not able to see the pictures?

You are now grasping at straws. they are not performers get off the stage. I linked the dictionary definition now who is redefining the meaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

You are now grasping at straws. they are not performers get off the stage. I linked the dictionary definition now who is redefining the meaning.

All I can say to this is *facepalm*.

Good god.

"They're not blackface because blackface is minstrel shows"

"No it's not look it up"

"See, blackface means performers playing a black role like these people are doing! Somehow, this means I'm right!"

I want to live in your world man,

Good god.

"They're not blackface because blackface is minstrel shows"

"No it's not look it up"

"See, blackface means performers playing a black role like these people are doing! Somehow, this means I'm right!"

I want to live in your world man,

I take it you are struggling with the Non black performer part ?

I take it you are struggling with the Non black performer part ?

Sure

Sure

Cool glad we cleared that up, Prey tell what performance these fellas were conducting with black make-up on ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

I used to like the black and white minstrel show.
    I must be racist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

sheep? wrote: »
    LET THE BATTLE COMMENCE

Recruiting has already started :)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why does Rowdy Roddy Piper have blackface?

This girl would have a heart attack at carnival in Maastrict

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

People can paint their faces whatever colour they like, just as she can dye her hair whatever colour she chooses to.

The fact that this is the most racist thing she's seen goes to show how little actual real racism is in Ireland. Some people just have dull lives and need something to whine about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

RasTa wrote: »
    Why does Rowdy Roddy Piper have blackface?

This girl would have a heart attack at carnival in Maastrict

Could be a tribute to Piper's ill advised wrestlemania 6 get-up.

https://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/roddy-piper-blackface.jpg

It's black Mick Foley that has me confused

It might be offensive to some, but it certainly isn't racist. Your one who wrote the Facebook post would want to take a look at herself.

What if she does that and she has blackface on :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

dont patronise me. i'm aware of the history. But they are not wearing "blackface" so the history is irrelevant.

Sorry dude but white guy with black face makeup is blackface. I love the way you make up rules of when it's OK to do blackface & when it's not. It's always wrong. Blackface is blackface. You prove my point of how racist the Irish are as a society. Just because you say or feel it's not racist doesn't mean it's not racist.
    I'm not Irish...

That doesn't mean that you can't be racist. This is the 2nd racist thread you've been on in 2 days trying to be funny. I like to be funny too when I can but your "funny" comments on a thread like this are not helpful on a serious issue & to be honest doesn't leave you in a good light at all. Sometimes it's better not to say anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Sorry dude but white guy with black face makeup is blackface. I love the way you make up rules of when it's OK to do blackface & when it's not. It's always wrong. Blackface is blackface. You prove my point of how racist the Irish are as a society. Just because you say or feel it's not racist doesn't mean it's not racist.

That doesn't mean that you can't be racist. This is the 2nd racist thread you've been on in 2 days trying to be funny. I like to be funny too when I can but your "funny" comments on a thread like this are not helpful on a serious issue & to be honest doesn't leave you in a good light at all. Sometimes it's better not to say anything.

*thread about racism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

I just had a look at the ladies Facebook

She compares white skin to pigs. She has quite the racist mouth on herself. Will Joe.ie pick up on that half of the story.

With her misappropiation of northern European hair, she mentally unbalanced and a big racist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I agree with you that Ireland is a racist country. What country isn't? But I disagree that blackface is blackface and that it is inherently or objectively racist. It isn't. If you want to be completely abstract, there is no such thing as race. It's just a social construct borne out of differing skin colours and genetic make-ups. Obviously there is an entire history to contend with concerning blackface, but really there is no difference between a black person wearing white paint on their face and a white person wearing black paint. You are assigning your own meaning and perceptions to the event based purely on the colour of the skin of the person perpetuating the act. Now that certainly is racist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

She knows about this thread but chooses not to answer. Still wondering about these fake Jews and now white skin pigs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

where are we on masks? can you dress up as someone of a different race* if you wear a mask?

*someone specific, I think we all agree that "black person" isn't an appropriate costume

Are you calling me Racist ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

After reading her Facebook Ive diagnosed the Girl as a ****ing gimp with a massive chip on her shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

ceegee wrote: »
    I think we all agree that "black person" isn't an appropriate costume
    We don't.

I don't think defining a person by their skin colour is appropriate however.

sheep? wrote:
    *thread about racism

Not when you read the racist comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,400 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Her Racism and Anti Zionism, you wonder why she come to mainly white country, if she hates this part of world so much

Not when you read the racist comments

What racist comments would those be ? And what is this “Serious Issue” you mentioned ? What's going to happen if they dressed up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

FortySeven wrote: »
    She knows about this thread but chooses not to answer. Still wondering about these fake Jews and now white skin pigs?

She also namecalls "peckerwoods" , which is a racist and ethnic slur ob white people, equilivant of n@@ger

• Advertisement

I agree with you that Ireland is a racist country. What country isn't? But I disagree that blackface is blackface and that it is inherently or objectively racist. It isn't. If you want to be completely abstract, there is no such thing as race. It's just a social construct borne out of differing skin colours and genetic make-ups. Obviously there is an entire history to contend with concerning blackface, but really there is no difference between a black person wearing white paint on their face and a white person wearing black paint. You are assigning your own meaning and perceptions to the event based purely on the colour of the skin of the person perpetuating the act. Now that certainly is racist.

I know that you can Google whiteface and put links here but ask yourself when have you seen black people with white faces. There's a lot more white people think this is funny than black people. Its nuts to say they aren't really black faces,they are more brown than black. There is a reason you won't see idiots like this on mainstream t.v..

Advertisement