Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ibt

• 19-07-2016 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

Just about to book myself in for the Ibt. Any recommendations for someone in the Wexford/Wicklow area that has a lots of patience?!
    Also Just got my second Learner permit. 30 years old. I'm thinking something along the lines of a Cbr 400/ Cbr 600/ zx6r or a Gsxr 600. If I go 600 would I need to look at something factory restricted for an insurance company to even consider me?? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Forget about a 600 sportbike as a first bike.

Terrible unforgiving bikes to learn on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Forget about a 600 sportbike as a first bike.

Terrible unforgiving bikes to learn on.

I largely agree but what I'd say is that if someone is determined to have something sporty (ie that's where there passion lies) and is prepared to go the extra mile, I say go for it. Having said that, there are tons of alternative options with fantastic benefits.

As for insurance- start calling round or at least use the search function. The market never stops shifting. How are we supposed to know what insurance companies are going to tell someone at a given time. Trends are only trends. I got my beloved GSX1400 insured when I was 5 months riding on a learner permit and for a very reasonable price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Hi guys, looking for advice on the IBT.

Must do modules 1,3 & 5.

No idea what to expect as i know of no one who has done it.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I did modules 1, 3, and 5 just over a year ago. 18 hours all in, classroom stuff, carpark with cones etc, then out on the road with radios.

Mine was split up over a good few separate days, but I have heard of people getting it done really fast in just a few days.

Ring whoever your local IBT instructor is and they'll be able to tell you the next day they're doing a classroom thing, for me I went to Mo Garvey, there were about 7 of us there for the classroom parts at the start and 2 there for the car park things and then 1 on 1 on the road

mine was fun, the classroom stuff is mostly just talking about simple stuff like timing overtakes properly which is only simple after it has been explained to you

if you have been suggested an IBT instructor then just give them a ring and book in as soon as you have the provisional license

I did modules 1, 3, and 5 just over a year ago. 18 hours all in, classroom stuff, carpark with cones etc, then out on the road with radios.

Mine was split up over a good few separate days, but I have heard of people getting it done really fast in just a few days.

Ring whoever your local IBT instructor is and they'll be able to tell you the next day they're doing a classroom thing, for me I went to Mo Garvey, there were about 7 of us there for the classroom parts at the start and 2 there for the car park things and then 1 on 1 on the road

mine was fun, the classroom stuff is mostly just talking about simple stuff like timing overtakes properly which is only simple after it has been explained to you

if you have been suggested an IBT instructor then just give them a ring and book in as soon as you have the provisional license

All sounds good.

In relation to the provisional licence.

I got my first one in 2004, the most recent one issued in 2011, expired 2013.

Am I better off just doing my theory test again?

I'll contact the local guy here tomorrow morning.

He is supposed to be fantastic, Declan O'Donoghue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I only have the car license a couple of years and the bike license a year so I had to do two theory tests anyway as I'm fully on the new system so couldn't tell you what the story is with your theory. Other than the cost (can't remember what it is, 35?) it wasn't painful at all I was in and out in a very short amount of time as the questions are identical to what you'd find on the car one just with a couple about bike specific stuff like motorbike tyre tread depth (1mm minimum)

maybe ring the ndls centre and see if they'll tell you if your old provisional can be renewed

KC161 wrote: »
    All sounds good.

In relation to the provisional licence.

I got my first one in 2004, the most recent one issued in 2011, expired 2013.

Am I better off just doing my theory test again?

I'll contact the local guy here tomorrow morning.

He is supposed to be fantastic, Declan O'Donoghue.

Declan has a great reputation for sure.

Buddy, I don't think I understand what you mean about provisionals. If you had a permit from '04 and never let them lapse for 5 years or more, and your last one expired in 2013 then you will be simply renewing your permit with its start date going back to 2004. If this is the case then you won't need a theory test again.

If you want to clarify, I'd be happy to guide you as to what you are facing. If you don't already have a test booking and your record is being back-dated to 2004 for category A then you will need to have a test booking for category A if you want to pursue the large/ fast bike licence. I think you are in a situation where you are allowed to take and pass a test in A2 (medium size/ power bikes) without any IBT but can't pursue category A until you take modules 1,3 and 5. If this sounds right, then you will have to book a category A test, renew your category A permit, take IBT and hopefully take and pass the test.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Declan has a great reputation for sure.

Buddy, I don't think I understand what you mean about provisionals. If you had a permit from '04 and never let them lapse for 5 years or more, and your last one expired in 2013 then you will be simply renewing your permit with its start date going back to 2004. If this is the case then you won't need a theory test again.

If you want to clarify, I'd be happy to guide you as to what you are facing. If you don't already have a test booking and your record is being back-dated to 2004 for category A then you will need to have a test booking for category A if you want to pursue the large/ fast bike licence. I think you are in a situation where you are allowed to take and pass a test in A2 (medium size/ power bikes) without any IBT but can't pursue category A until you take modules 1,3 and 5. If this sounds right, then you will have to book a category A test, renew your category A permit, take IBT and hopefully take and pass the test.

All of the above is correct regarding provisional licences.

Never took the test.

Would it make any difference if I done the theory test again?

Or does being on a 3rd provisional matter?

Declan does seem better for recommendations than bikecraft.

I'll be going for the full A licence.

No point in doing things by halves.

I must apply for the test to get another A learner permit or I can get my first A2 without doing that.

Drop a pm if you are confused about anything I'm saying if you like.

Sounds like you know where you are so :)
    Would it make any difference if I done the theory test again?

None. It's the same theory test for a superbike as scooter and the fact you're not starting over like someone who left their permit lapse for 5+ years means the theory test is a non-issue to you.
    Or does being on a 3rd provisional matter?

None. You originally had permit for the 'A restricted' category from 2004 but apart from the terms of the category changing after 2013, you will have the 2004 start date and notation 993 to denote that it's a '3rd or subsequent' permit in the category and you need to show a test booking for category A (definitely not A2) in order to get the learner permit in the correct category.
    Declan does seem better for recommendations than bikecraft.

I did my training with Eddie and would recommend him. He's thorough and he'll work you hard but Declan does have the reputation to be more patient.
    I'll be going for the full A licence.

No point in doing things by halves.

Definitely the way to go :)

Advertisement