Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebuilding Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

D_D wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/housing-plan-coveney-2885156-Jul2016/

What do people make of this? More political spin, or the start of properly tackling the housing issue in Ireland?

Hurray, lets house people paying an average of €50-60pw in homes that cost over 100k to build because the poor lambs should be able to live wherever the hell they like. Screw that whole "work hard and enjoy the fruits of your labour" stuff here, oh no.

Christ on a bike. I couldn't be more against.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Is there anything in there to increase supply? I see Nama mentioned with the following
    NTMA/Private sector Housing Fund to deliver increased housing supply

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

godtabh wrote: »
    Is there anything in there to increase supply? I see Nama mentioned with the following

How?

They're planning on spending €5.5B on new builds and attendant infrastructure so I'd imagine that would lead to some increase.

They have a website with details here: http://rebuildingireland.ie/

Taking a look through it now, the papers were reporting plans to build 45-50k houses over the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

I work in the construction industry so i suppose in one way im glad to see this happening. Also increase in supply will bring down rents.

They should make sure that these houses are not just giant estates of social housing and that some of the houses will actually be sold to working people so that they may not be come no go Ghettos. Not very PC but ive seen first hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

There goes the 'fiscal space'...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Hurray, lets house people paying an average of €50-60pw in homes that cost over 100k to build because the poor lambs should be able to live wherever the hell they like. Screw that whole "work hard and enjoy the fruits of your labour" stuff here, oh no.

Christ on a bike. I couldn't be more against.

How much do you think a house costs to build these days?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just to point out, the Journal headline is wrong. They aren't building 47k new social houses. They are providing them. They are building 26k. The rest are being being purchased/leased.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I laughed when I heard about this on the radio, Kenny describing it and ambitious! When has anything the government here ever come up with something that could be described as ambitious? except their own pay and perks!

This issue will be sorted out the way the HSE will be sorted out!

Lets take a look at what they need to do, provide higher density housing in Dublin, in the docklands in particular? No. Start the ball rolling on adequate public transport in Dublin? NO...

Total and utter joke...

out of interest, is their anything in their plan to address the appalling build quality and noise issues in apartments. The biggest issue I have had in apartments? I doubt it, no doubt there are pages on aspect and requiring 1 lift per resident!

Speedwell wrote: »
    How much do you think a house costs to build these days?

Its simple maths.

5.35 bill cost to supply 47k homes. Whip out your calculator and you'll come to the north of 100k figure i did.

I'm just using the figures supplied.

edit: turns out eh supplied figures were wrong but you get the point.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The biggest issue I have had in apartments? I doubt it, no doubt there are pages on aspect and requiring 1 lift per resident!

The problem with increasing quality and noise insulation is that that drives costs up and actually reduces supply.

In the short term, we should be abolishing a heap of these regulations, and let the developers throw up a heap of crap apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Its simple maths.

5.35 bill cost to supply 47k homes. Whip out your calculator and you'll come to the north of 100k figure i did.

I'm just using the figures supplied.

edit: turns out eh supplied figures were wrong but you get the point.

No, no... I mean, the lower limit of what a basic house takes to build anywhere in Ireland these days was quoted to me as upwards of 100K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

CruelCoin wrote:
    In the short term, we should be abolishing a heap of these regulations, and let the developers throw up a heap of crap apartments.

Fire doors and fireproofing is also expensive, should we just abandon those regs aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Fire doors and fireproofing is also expensive, should we just abandon those regs aswell?

No sarcasm font??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Askthe EA wrote:
    No sarcasm font??

Can't find it on my mobile. ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

NTMA large-scale infrastructure development finance fund for on-site works by developers - NTMA is examining the feasibility of establishing a funding vehicle, in conjunction with the private sector that could be capable of facilitating investment in social housing in a way that does not impact on the General Government Balance.

Great in theory. PPPs can work well.

Construction costs - designers and providers of housing will be challenged to work together in coming up with new design and construction systems that are capable of delivering new homes for less than €200,000 (net of land cost).

What is this tosh??? Challenged?

The Housing Agency will be funded to acquire suitable portfolios of properties for social housing directly from financial institutions and investors – the planned investment of €70 million is likely to yield acquisitions of the order of 1,600 vacant properties.

So, this is the NTMA buying from NAMA and or the banks?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The problem with increasing quality and noise insulation is that that drives costs up and actually reduces supply.

In the short term, we should be abolishing a heap of these regulations, and let the developers throw up a heap of crap apartments

this is an area I wouldn't mind the cost increasing, get rid of some of the other bull**** stipulations, like the over the top outdoor space requirements etc, lift ratio, allow increase in heights...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dzwx

I heard all that before
    Can't post links yet but just google:
    "1,700 homes promised a year ago – not one has been built"

Advertisement