Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Weather and Walkies...

• 19-07-2016 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭

So I have an Akita cross with a lovely thick coat. She detests hot weather, i mean hates...give her a good shower of rain any day :p

She also loves walks and gets them daily but gets very uncomfortable with this heat. Even last night at 9pm it was still very warm.

So...do you cut back on exercise in this hot weather?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Days like these are the best to work their brains if you can't work their bodies, tiring out their brain can have the same effect as physical exercise. I like doing scent games, food puzzles and trick/obedience training on hot days.

Also make sure your Akita is well brushed out and the dead hair is removed. If it's not removed it can make it difficult for a double coated breed like them to regulate their body temperature.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

I have a retreiver collie cross she has a double coat and she is an old dog at 16 but still loves her walk, we normally would do 40 mins with her which is a full lap of the park but we have cut it down to 20 mins in this weather a half lap she is not happy at all and does still be a little hyper at night so we let her have a trot around the back garden and sit out there the door does be open but she still will stay out there in the cool air till about 11pm, as she has a double coat like your dog I would advise getting it groomed to take away some of the heat from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Cheers all

She is well brushed VonVix every day usually after the walk when there is a 17% chance she will actually sit still :P

furminator all the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My lot won't be going out to the field today, they didn't go out yesterday either. There is evidence to suggest that if a dog overheats, it lowers their core temperature, so that they will then overheat at a lower temperature.

Paddling pools and brain games, and plenty of sleep, huskies here happy out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Normal morning walk at 7:00am like always. In the evening the expect their supper and biscuit at set time and normally go to sleep after it so won't entertain going for a walk if they're sleepy! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Mine haven't even looked for their collars or leads yesterday or today. We've been doing training, they've had stuffed Kong's which I'd frozen and play inside. Oh and they're quite enjoying the cooler breeze from the fan! Happy out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Cheers all..Some entertainment to be had tonight so :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If I don't bring Finn out he goes loopy. I took him out about 9:30 last night, but it was still really warm. He didn't do as much running around as he usually does and I rubbed him down with wet cloths afterward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

My Lola went out for a 20 min walk with my husband he kept it short tonight with the heat she wasn't too bad last night slept on the wooden floor instead of her bed and stayed out in the garden alot, I also have 8 cats and they were finding the heat too warm one was panting so bad she is a rescue and just had kittens I only foster her though so I had to cool her down by pouring water onto her as she wouldn't leave the babies to drink water but she seemed okay last night when we were going to bed I'll bring home a fan for her this evening.

Advertisement