Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner struggling to get insured

Options
  • 19-07-2016 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Anyone know any company that may insure a year 00 car where the driver (me) holds a learner permit with no previous insurance?

Instructor wants me to practice in between lessons but i phoned a good few places and none will offer a quote. Have the 12 EDT'S done but need a lot more practice before going for the full test. A few of the online quotes will insure me at about 10 times the cost of the car..

Should i just forget it and do more lessons until i'm ready for the full test, then maybe try and get insured for the same car if/when i get full license? I may be able to get named driver insurance instead.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

A lot of it is to do with the year of the car, unfortunately. So could be the same craic when you pass. Have you tried adding 2 experienced drivers as named drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Most insurance companies won't insure any car over 14 years old, regardless of the age of the driver - some (Aviva I think) don't accept anything over 10 years old.

With no previous experience and a learner permit, youll be easily looking at 4000-5000 to get insured.

Is there anyone you could get to add as a main/named driver on the policy with you?
    You could also try adding yourself as a named to driver to someone's policy for a year or two - named driver experience won't bring your quote down that much, but it's better than nothing.

Other than that, I found QuoteDevil good to deal with, eventually got my insurance from them, they were able to match the price of another company, so there may be some room to negotiate with them.

Good luck with the search!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to the motor insurance forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Have you tried boxymo?

I'm not familiar at all with their acceptance criteria in terms of vehicle age however their primary market is first time drivers and they seem to be keenly priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Have you tried boxymo?

I'm not familiar at all with their acceptance criteria in terms of vehicle age however their primary market is first time drivers and they seem to be keenly priced.

Have heard mixed/bad reviews about companies that install monitoring devices on cars. i.e Not correctly identifying speed limits on rural roads, leaving the driver being incorrectly penalised for speeding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement