Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be aware, courier just called to collect my eir hardware!

Options
  • 19-07-2016 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I cancelled eir last week due to the price increase.

Just a short time ago a courier called to collect, in his own words "The eir equipment"

I asked him specifically what eir needed to be returned, he said "a modem or router or something"

I quickly boxed up the eir TV Box, remote control, Broadband router and any leads / cables attached and handed them over.

No advance warning by letter, email, phone or text!!!!

eir, please tell me that you are NOT going to try and charge me €€€€€€€ for some small item that I may have forgotten about.

If I have left anything out, please inform me and send the courier again at a time that suits me, not when I'm rushing out the door to collect my kids!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭eir: Ciara

Just a short time ago a courier called to collect, in his own words "The eir equipment"

I asked him specifically what eir needed to be returned, he said "a modem or router or something"

I quickly boxed up the eir TV Box, remote control, Broadband router and any leads / cables attached and handed them over.

eir, please tell me that you are NOT going to try and charge me €€€€€€€ for some small item that I may have forgotten about.

If I have left anything out, please inform me and send the courier again at a time that suits me, not when I'm rushing out the door to collect my kids!!!
    Hi Neil_Sedaka,

Thank you for getting in touch :)

I am very sorry to hear you were not notified of the courier coming out to you. You will not be charged for this as the courier has come out and collected this for you.

Kind Regards,
    Ciara.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

eir: Ciara wrote: »

Hi Neil_Sedaka,

I am very sorry to hear you were not notified of the courier coming out to you. You will not be charged for this as the courier has come out and collected this for you.

Kind Regards,
    Ciara.
    Hi Ciara,

could you elaborate please?

When you say "You will not be charged for this as the courier has come out and collected this for you." I do not understand what I may have been charged for, were I not here when the courier called.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

This happened me once as well (back when they were "Eircom".

I answered the door to an empty handed courier (v. Disappointing) asking for "something Eircom want off ye". It took me a good 5 minutes to figure out what he wanted, and then I had to find the box etc. Warning would have made my life a hundred times easier and less embarrassing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If people have given 30 days notice , why are eircom collecting their equipment before this time has elapsed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Hi Neil_Sedaka,

Kind Regards,
    Ciara.
    Hi Ciara,

When you say "You will not be charged for this as the courier has come out and collected this for you." I do not understand what I may have been charged for, were I not here when the courier called.

Thanks.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Neil_Sedaka,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]When closing an account you would be required to return the modem, this would be outlined in the terms and conditions here https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/eir_General_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf.  If you don’t return this equipment within 14 days as listed in the terms and conditions you would be charged for it.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela [/font]

• Advertisement

If people have given 30 days notice , why are eircom collecting their equipment before this time has elapsed?
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Clementine Uneven Roofing,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]As per the terms and conditions here https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/eir_General_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]"If you wish to cancel your contract under the Regulations, you must return to us any Equipment (to include any chargers or ancillary equipment supplied) to us within fourteen days of the date you provide us with written notice that you wish to cancel the contract."[/font]

This happened me once as well (back when they were "Eircom".

I answered the door to an empty handed courier (v. Disappointing) asking for "something Eircom want off ye". It took me a good 5 minutes to figure out what he wanted, and then I had to find the box etc. Warning would have made my life a hundred times easier and less embarrassing!
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm sorry to hear this [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]hearmehearye,  [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]I will have this flagged with the relevant team.[/font]

Hi Neil_Sedaka,

Kind Regards,
    Ciara.
    Hi Ciara,

Thanks.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Neil_Sedaka,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]When closing an account you would be required to return the modem, this would be outlined in the terms and conditions here https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/eir_General_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf.  If you don’t return this equipment within 14 days as listed in the terms and conditions you would be charged for it.[/font]

Thanks for the link Pamela.

Surely I should have been given a list of items to be returned and a date and time arranged for collection though, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭eir: Ciara

Hi Neil_Sedaka,

Kind Regards,
    Ciara.
    Hi Ciara,

Thanks.

Surely I should have been given a list of items to be returned and a date and time arranged for collection though, no?
    Hi Neil_Sedaka,

The courier should have made contact with you before coming out. I am extremely sorry that they haven't and I will be sure to relay this feedback onto the relevant department.

-Ciara

Hi Neil_Sedaka,

Kind Regards,
    Ciara.
    Hi Ciara,

Thanks.

Hi Neil_Sedaka,

The courier should have made contact with you before coming out. I am extremely sorry that they haven't and I will be sure to relay this feedback onto the relevant department.

-Ciara
    Hi Ciara,

I do appreciate that, however the courier had no idea what he was there to collect and I had only half of an idea!!!
    It had been months since the installation and I couldn't remember what exactly the installer had provided us with at the time.

• Advertisement

For instance, the installer tacked a cable from the hallway to the sitting room, was I supposed to include that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Who was the courier ?

TallGlass wrote: »
    Who was the courier ?
    Nightline IIRC

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Clementine Uneven Roofing,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]As per the terms and conditions here https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/eir_General_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]"If you wish to cancel your contract under the Regulations, you must return to us any Equipment (to include any chargers or ancillary equipment supplied) to us within fourteen days of the date you provide us with written notice that you wish to cancel the contract."[/font]

Am I missing something or does that effectively mean the Eircom T's and C's contractually oblige a customer to pay for a service he/she is unable to use for the remaining 16 days of the notice period>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Nightline IIRC

Strange. There usually fairly on the ball, not showing up with a text etc.. and been a bit more polite. I'd give them a shout to see what happened there.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Nightline IIRC

Strange. There usually fairly on the ball, not showing up with a text etc.. and been a bit more polite. I'd give them a shout to see what happened there.
    The courier did ring beforehand. He said "I'll be outside your house in about 10 mins to collect the eir equipment"
    Took me a min to figure out who he was and what it was all about, then I twigged that we had recently left eir and they must have sent someone to collect the hardware.

Couldn't have been worse timing as I was just about to leave the house to collect the kids.
    I grabbed an empty box and some bubble wrap and frantically started disconnecting the TV box and router and packing them up.

I'm not trying to be obstinate here, but I have no way of knowing if I returned ALL of the bits that the installer put in and I'm very concerned that eir will try to charge us for anything that I may have missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Simular happened to us. However we were in the house, no knock on the door, no text just a delivery docket pushed through the letter box.
    I am not sure if I have been charged for this equipment and will certainly protesting to Com Reg if I am.
    Again, like the OP I have no issue with Eir wanting their equipment back, if it's in the T&Cs. But to come calling without prior arrangement and. In my case to not even try make contact is utterly ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

I cancelled with Eir before and the customer service rep informed me that I needed to box up the modem and connector cables if I recall correctly, I was told the courier would be in touch to collect. The courier called and took away the boxed up items, to that end both parties performed as expected and no charges ensued.

In this case Nightline did nothing wrong, in general they will always ring a domestic home to see if you are there and if not they will usually try and make a time with you that suits. Eir erred by not informing you a collection was the next step in the cancellation process.

I would say its a rep error when you cancelled (if over the phone), if at that point you are told that you need to box up the items you will do so to avoid charge, its not easy to get the items , box them , tape the box etc when the courier is outside the door. In fact not everyone will still have the box the items came in.

Its not a big error to be fair , things like that can easily get missed in a busy day but what would be nice is if someone from Eir could follow up the collection and verify the OP is in the clear as regards any charges to put their mind at ease as well bills can cause people an awful lot of stress

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I cancelled the TV part of my service last year as I found it extremely poor and was told that a courier would be out to collect the eVision box... never happened! It's still sitting in a press.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hi I've just left Eir, was disconnected yesterday and up and running with my new provider today. Nobody said anything to me about what to do with my old router. How do I arrange to have it collected? We both work full time so how can we arrange a courier if we are not going to be at home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 kaylden

Something similar happened to me. I knew nothing until I got a phone call from a debt collection agency. Eir actually owed me money as I overpaid my last bill but wouldnt give me it back until I returned the modem. I had to send it back through registered post. Disgraceful passing on a "debt" of €34.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Twelve Bar Blues

The courier did ring beforehand. He said "I'll be outside your house in about 10 mins to collect the eir equipment"
    Took me a min to figure out who he was and what it was all about, then I twigged that we had recently left eir and they must have sent someone to collect the hardware.

Couldn't have been worse timing as I was just about to leave the house to collect the kids.
    I grabbed an empty box and some bubble wrap and frantically started disconnecting the TV box and router and packing them up.

I'm not trying to be obstinate here, but I have no way of knowing if I returned ALL of the bits that the installer put in and I'm very concerned that eir will try to charge us for anything that I may have missed.[

If you had been paying Eir bills by Direct Debit, PLEASE cancel it with your bank.
    Don't instruct Eir to cancel the arrangement, do it yourself.
    That way if there are any incorrect charges, you won't have your account debited and have to request refunds etc.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Garrett68

I have just had the same thing I think. Courier arrived at 9.00am looking for a package to go to eir. He had no idea what. 

I've had no warning from eir of this. 

I'm still paying eir and the switchover to my new provider has even not happened yet. 

This seems like sharp practice to me. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭pooch90

They did the same to me, courier just landed at the door, didn't know what he was meant to collect. Zero communication from Eir RE this and now they are still trying to charge me early cancellation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Courier did the same with us. Landed over at the house looking something to do with Eir - we had no prior notice that this was going to happen. My husband didn't know what was going on and the courier said he would call back, weeks later he hasn't. I rang Eir about it, they said to post it back to them freepost - but I can't find the box to put it into. Would have to buy a big padded envelope for it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It seems like either the process
    • Isn't being followed
    • Isn't there to begin with
    [*]

In regard to the link posted above, it would presumably have to be 14 days following the end  of the contract, or, as previous posters have noted, you are effectively removing the service and not facilitating use up to the end of the 30 days notice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

So Eir have only changed their name and not their previous attitude to customer service.Interesting.

Certainly in my case MarkR the contract exists until 18 September (note, not a month from the date I left, but a later date chosen by Eir, it appear they are very happy to continue taking my money for as long as possible). 

- no knowledge on part of courier as to why he was here. 
    - no warning from Eir
    - effectively removing the capability to use the product I am paying for three weeks before their own declared end date

Seems extraordinary to me.
    MarkR wrote: »
    It seems like either the process
    • Isn't being followed
    • Isn't there to begin with

[*]

In regard to the link posted above, it would presumably have to be 14 days following the end  of the contract, or, as previous posters have noted, you are effectively removing the service and not facilitating use up to the end of the 30 days notice?

In fairness, I don't think anyone here is taking issue with the courier? Usually businesses would issue a label or RMA number and advise the customer to package an item to be collected. I think thats a very reasonable expectation.

It seems to be more than a one off 'rep error'. Perhaps more of a systemic failure, as it seems to be a repeated error.

Given it appear this results in a final bill with a 'cheap as chips' modem being billed at €60, I wouldn't classify it as 'not a big error. 

If it is a systemic fail at €60 an occurrence, quite coincidentally, it might be quite a lucrative one for eir.
    Starokan wrote: »
    I cancelled with Eir before and the customer service rep informed me that I needed to box up the modem and connector cables if I recall correctly, I was told the courier would be in touch to collect. The courier called and took away the boxed up items, to that end both parties performed as expected and no charges ensued.

In this case Nightline did nothing wrong, in general they will always ring a domestic home to see if you are there and if not they will usually try and make a time with you that suits. Eir erred by not informing you a collection was the next step in the cancellation process.

I would say its a rep error when you cancelled (if over the phone), if at that point you are told that you need to box up the items you will do so to avoid charge, its not easy to get the items , box them , tape the box etc when the courier is outside the door. In fact not everyone will still have the box the items came in.

Its not a big error to be fair , things like that can easily get missed in a busy day but what would be nice is if someone from Eir could follow up the collection and verify the OP is in the clear as regards any charges to put their mind at ease as well bills can cause people an awful lot of stress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,971 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have Eir now how do i get access to my EPL matches?

Advertisement