Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused to give me a quote

Options
  • 19-07-2016 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I currently hold a policy with Liberty, and have done for a few years. I called yesterday for a quote to transfer my policy to a Bmw X5 and the agent refused to quote me, claiming it was a high performance vehicle. This is a diesel jeep?!

Can you shed some light on this? As I have already purchased this vehicle and I will have to change insurers.
    I am 25 (26 in 3 weeks) with almost 7 years no claims.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 235 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Sean

Timmyr wrote: »
    I currently hold a policy with Liberty, and have done for a few years. I called yesterday for a quote to transfer my policy to a Bmw X5 and the agent refused to quote me, claiming it was a high performance vehicle. This is a diesel jeep?!

Can you shed some light on this? As I have already purchased this vehicle and I will have to change insurers.
    I am 25 (26 in 3 weeks) with almost 7 years no claims
    Hi Timmyr
    We do have different Underwriting acceptance criteria for each vehicle. If you PM me with your policy details we will have a look into this for you.
    Regards 
    Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

The agent stated that I needed to be 30 years of age to insure such a vehicle, but under current equality law, when you buy goods or services including financial services you cannot be discriminated against purely because of your:
    Race
    Marital status
    Family status
    Sexuality
    Disability
    Religion
    Lifestyle

Edit: just seen your response, I will message you now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Tread carefully OP.  While you may be able to force a quote on age legislation, they can just quote 10 grand Third Party.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Timmyr wrote: »
    The agent stated that I needed to be 30 years of age to insure such a vehicle, but under current equality law, when you buy goods or services including financial services you cannot be discriminated against purely because of your:
    Race
    Marital status
    Family status
    Sexuality
    Disability
    Religion
    Lifestyle

Edit: just seen your response, I will message you now

You seem to be someone that flies off the handle quickly - like many young men. Transfer that to a high powered car (yes, even a diesel can be high power these days) and you have a claim ready to happen.

I also suggest that before flying off the handle saying that age discrimination is not permitted, that you research just a wee bit.

Insurance companies are still allowed to discriminate on the basis of age, provided that they can show actuarial evidence demonstrating that they were acting on a commercial basis.

So, maybes be nice and beg instead of bullsh1tting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

VincePP wrote: »
    You seem to be someone that flies off the handle quickly - like many young men. Transfer that to a high powered car (yes, even a diesel can be high power these days) and you have a claim ready to happen.

I also suggest that before flying off the handle saying that age discrimination is not permitted, that you research just a wee bit.

Insurance companies are still allowed to discriminate on the basis of age, provided that they can show actuarial evidence demonstrating that they were acting on a commercial basis.

Ridiculous statement. You being judgemental. He has every right to be annoyed. He has been a customer for years.
    Insurance companies are taking us for a ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

The Insurance companies very badly need some external entity to teach them some manners..... Their exploits of late are in the territory of the Wild West or a high street smash and grab or mugging.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

VincePP wrote: »

I also suggest that before flying off the handle saying that age discrimination is not permitted,  that you research just a wee bit.

Easy there tiger, I don't see how quoting legislation can be seen as flying off the handle. 
    I have insured much higher power cars than this before, that is why I was shocked.

Did nobody ever tell you "if you don't have anything useful to say, don't say anything at all"

Advertisement