Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far do you commute?

Options
  • 19-07-2016 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi everyone. So I've got a job away from home and am moving out. I really want to live in a particular area as I've lived there for a while a few years ago, however the school is about 50 mins to an hour away. Which to me doesn't sound too bad as I like the area and it's away from the kids - but would I be mad doing this?

How long of a commute to work does everyone do here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

I have a 73 km commute, or 45 mile in old money. Takes 1hr. Never meet the kids outside of school and that's worth a lot. I also car pool and that would be a good idea if you could do that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

Same distance here. About 45-50 mins. Well worth it from a privacy perspective. Also I feel that a commute give me some peaceful time alone in the car where I can relax unwind, particularly the drive home in the evening.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Just remember that roads in winter may take longer - especially if they are not main roads .

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

I've an hour as well about 75km each way, most of it is a bad road but a motorway too. Complained a lot to myself at the start but my weekends are happier that I don't meet students. The drive doesn't bother me now.

I plan on the journey down.

I reflect on the journey home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭madmac187

Laois to Nottingham. It's a c**t! Enough said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Thanks everyone. Not seeing kids/teens when I'm out and about would be a huge plus for me. I've been back living in my hometown this past year and well..that was bad enough but to go to my nearest town seeing my students was a complete nightmare.

I would also agree with the winding down and "reflection" time driving home. :D

So I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the positive responses. It's all mainly motorway anyway so weather conditions shouldn't be too bad. I'll look in to car pooling when I've started and settled in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

60 KM for me...I think most teachers commute a good distance, no one I work with lives close to the school, most of the people who retired since I started lived within 5 miles of the school, things have changed !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Apologies for off topic but I live in the same town as my school. See ye students regularly. Don't see it as a bad thing at all. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Have lived close to all schools I worked in.

Just surprised all above see it as almost a necessity to get that far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

seavill wrote: »
    Apologies for off topic but I live in the same town as my school. See ye students regularly. Don't see it as a bad thing at all. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Have lived close to all schools I worked in.

Just surprised all above see it as almost a necessity to get that far away.
    I'd second this. I live about twenty minutes of a drive from the school (in the mornings - less than fifteen minutes when it's quiet). I rarely see students but when I do, they mostly keep to themselves.

Granted, I'm living in Dublin so I can choose to go places I'm unlikely to see students without putting myself out too much but my previous school was in a small town and it still wasn't a problem.

I think it depends on your clients - I ended up on a few occasions bumping into some of my students drinking in the streets during the day of a weekend. Then comes the shouting - non abusive but still making me very uncomfortable.

Depends a lot on you too. I would say I'm a fairly private person so sometimes I like to get out and not have a high chance of bumping into people I know. Which in a small town where you teach a good majority of them and have contacted their parents through various sorts is extremely difficult.

I also like the idea of separating work life and my life. Which sounds weird I know but any time I go into town I see the school/my work place. However with living away the only time I have to go to that certain place is for work. Therefore don't have to think about work and can enjoy my coffee and scone! Sounds weird but I like my space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Oh yea each to their own I wasn't questioning anyone's life choices. Was just surprised at the reaction was all

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

The advice given to the OP has been very one-sided so I'm going to share my thoughts. Commuting is fine to talk about during the summer when we're off school and its bright out until late. Fast forward a few months to the dreary Winter and its a different story. In my school teachers who commute talk about traffic jams in towns outside Dublin at 6.30 am. Its fine to talk about commuting time as time to meditate, have me-time etc, but you're driving. It can be very stressful. You need your car to be ultra reliable. If it doesn't start/breaks down you don't get to work...

After a late PTM on a Thursday evening, your commute may not be as pleasurable as you expect. If you use the M50 you are at the mercy of the traffic. If there's an accident it can add an hour or more to your journey.

Your home situation needs to be considered. Your stress levels will be higher and you will be tired and this may put pressure on your relationship.

And as you get older it gets much much harder.

OP consider this. Many young teachers have always commuted due to property prices near the schools they teach in but it will take its toll on you.

As regards not living near students, I agree its a great idea, but you don't need to be an hours drive away. I live two M50 exits away from my school. I rarely see the kids, who tend to stay in their local community. None of them lives within miles of me yet if I forget something I can pop home during a "free" class to get it. After a PTM I'm sitting at home with a glass of wine 15 minutes later. I realise a lot of people have no choice but to commute and I'm just lucky how things worked out for me but OP commuting has a negative side, so if you can avoid it you should think about doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I commuted 45-1hr for three years at one point. I then moved schools and have only a 15 minute drive. I adore it. I'm close but not too close (I'm in a different townland). I get home early. After meetings I'm the first home out of all my friends. I get more time with my kids. I wouldn't change to above 30 minutes again now if I can avoid it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    The advice given to the OP has been very one-sided so I'm going to share my thoughts. Commuting is fine to talk about during the summer when we're off school and its bright out until late. Fast forward a few months to the dreary Winter and its a different story. In my school teachers who commute talk about traffic jams in towns outside Dublin at 6.30 am. Its fine to talk about commuting time as time to meditate, have me-time etc, but you're driving. It can be very stressful. You need your car to be ultra reliable. If it doesn't start/breaks down you don't get to work...

After a late PTM on a Thursday evening, your commute may not be as pleasurable as you expect. If you use the M50 you are at the mercy of the traffic. If there's an accident it can add an hour or more to your journey.

Your home situation needs to be considered. Your stress levels will be higher and you will be tired and this may put pressure on your relationship.

And as you get older it gets much much harder.

OP consider this. Many young teachers have always commuted due to property prices near the schools they teach in but it will take its toll on you.

As regards not living near students, I agree its a great idea, but you don't need to be an hours drive away. I live two M50 exits away from my school. I rarely see the kids, who tend to stay in their local community. None of them lives within miles of me yet if I forget something I can pop home during a "free" class to get it. After a PTM I'm sitting at home with a glass of wine 15 minutes later. I realise a lot of people have no choice but to commute and I'm just lucky how things worked out for me but OP commuting has a negative side, so if you can avoid it you should think about doing so.

Yes, I agree with most of this. Especially the bit about dirty winter days and evenings. I have a good twenty minute walk to a bus stop from my home and I take four buses a day. I am at the mercy of timetables so one late bus can be a disaster for me and this happens sometimes. I never see any of my students after school and don't think I could tolerate them around where I live. That's invaluable. After a tough day I have plenty of time to reflect, but as you say, if you have a meeting it becomes complicated. I begin to think how packed my last bus journey is going to be. On a normal day going home is fine, except when I have the misfortune that the bus sometimes collects big groups (hordes? packs?) of students from other schools and I look out the window in despair. It's impossible for two teenagers sitting beside each other on a bus to have a conversation with each other unless they are shouting.

All of this does, as you say, take its toll on you. The funny thing is that if I had a car it would take me no more than fifteen minutes but as it is it can take more than two hours to get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I'm an hour commute away from school.
    I'm an NQT and live with my parents as there is no way I would be able to afford to rent.

I do know someone who travels 2.5 hours each way to school. Its mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

25 minutes on the bus or between 50 - 75 minutes walking depending on the route, between our apartment and Dublin City centre.

Previously when i lived in Cork for 18 Months i had an under 5 minute walk from my building to my office was an absolute gift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I live far too close to my school - actively looking to move further away at the moment. I absolutely hate living around my students. There is a lot of antisocial behaviour and while that can happen anywhere (I'm from an area where such behaviour is a major problem) it is much more difficult to deal with when you are known as a teacher in the community. You have to be very careful what you say and to whom. Unfortunately I struggle to afford other areas within a viable distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

I had an hour each way two years ago. 20 minute drive now. It's very doable but it meant taking work home with me so I could miss evening rush hour. Just something to consider. I have a study at home that I can use for corrections and that gives a bit of space between my work and relaxation areas but with the new commute it means that I'm not doing it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

I live far too close to my school - actively looking to move further away at the moment. I absolutely hate living around my students. There is a lot of antisocial behaviour and while that can happen anywhere (I'm from an area where such behaviour is a major problem) it is much more difficult to deal with when you are known as a teacher in the community. You have to be very careful what you say and to whom. Unfortunately I struggle to afford other areas within a viable distance.

I worked in a small town for a short period and stayed there as well and in the evening I used to see some of the students. They happened to be some of the nicer ones and maybe a wave or a nod and that would be it.

But I knew that there were nasty ones too and so felt the writing was on the wall. When I went into the bank I felt that staff already had tabs on me. Everybody seemed to know each other and their business. Couldn't bear it for one moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i hope im not too close for comfort doing my teaching placement, this years school is 7 miles and next years is 4 miles!

• Advertisement

My commute is approx 46km. I've a half day of a Wednesday. I have a train station on both sides of commute if there is any issue weather wise or car wise. It's only for the year. I don't have kids or a partner! We'll see how it goes. I'll do what I have to do. Running from negativity of posters sorry.....

I take home work anyway. I don't know how people don't. I'd love to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

90km each way. Takes just over an hour. Total pain on country roads in winter, cost a fortune in diesel. It was grand before I had kids but now I see it as 10 hours a week wasted on the road. Got a temp job exchange for the year. 15 mins drive at the moment. Much easier.

Advertisement