Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a device with HR worth it?

Options
  • 19-07-2016 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Would appreciate advice. I've had a forerunner 305 for a few years and it's lack of compatability with my windows 10 laptop has me in the market for a new device.

Use: 3 X runs per week and a Parkrun on Saturday.

My goals are getting fit again and gradually upping distance. I used my old watch to monitor distance (just.... Keep.... Going).

I've seen a TomTom runner for €75 on wiggle I'm interested in. Seems to have all the features I need. But I'm torn whether to get a device with HRM.

Any advice? Needless gimmick or vital future feature?

Cheers
    Quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Definitely not a gimmick, but not absolutely necessary either. For your specific goals, I'm not sure that it's really worth it, particularly if you haven't had a need for one in the past. Would you consider getting a watch without a HRM but which will work with a HRM strap if you get one in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Again, it depends...

HRM isn't a gimmick and there are good reasons to measure it. For your use case it wouldn't seem to be a must-have, but it might be of interest and if you're of the quantified self type, it can be fun to measure anyway...

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/runners-learn-how-to-use-your-heart-rate-monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Definitely worth it IMO, I'm in marathon training at the moment and I run all my easy runs by heart rate, the Pace can vary from day to day and route but the effort is always the same which I think is important when trying to build endurance.

I used to run all my easy runs way too quickly before I started using the monitor plus it helps gauge improvement too as over time you will notice your pace increasing at your given heart rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Hi folks,

I got a TomTom Runner in the end.

The cardio version would've been nice but money's tight atm so the basic version it is.

I'm really happy with it. So much more user friendly than the Garmin Forerunner 305 and the bluetooth syncing is smashing.

UI is so much easier to use as well.

Cheers for all the advice though.

Quad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

quad_red wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I got a TomTom Runner in the end.

The cardio version would've been nice but money's tight atm so the basic version it is.

I'm really happy with it. So much more user friendly than the Garmin Forerunner 305 and the bluetooth syncing is smashing.

UI is so much easier to use as well.

Cheers for all the advice though.

Quad.
    Do you mind me asking how much was the runner and where did you get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

guil wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how much was the runner and where did you get it?

There we go
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tomtom-runner-gps-watch/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

I picked up one of the Epson watches with the built-in HR monitor earlier this year, better deal now that the £ has fallen in value. Works well once it's a bit warm but that could be me as well as I suffer from cold hands a bit.

Advertisement