Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estimate of build costs needed??

Options
  • 19-07-2016 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there,

We have just completed plans to build a 2,700sqft house, two storey with single story to the rear, basic block construction, slate roof, geothermal heating, triple glazing, very little feature stonework, just wondering if there's any builder/quantity surveyor that could give me a very rough estimate on what the total building costs might be before we submit planning!?...it's on a very flat site in Co Clare? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

See this puzzles me a bit.
    I'm not having a go it's just pricing up jobs I see this quite a bit
    Did you go to the architect and say " we have x amount to spend , design us a house to suit our needs with in those budget constraints
    Tbh only a local QS working with a builder for real world costs will help you out there.
    It's just a bug bear of mine when I price up work to be told " oh we can't afford that or that's way over budget " and that's not even coming in as the dearest.
    It usually ends up that the original plans are then scaled back to meet the available budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

It seems that a lot of architects don't seem to get involved in budgets at design stage in any shape or form. They probably should try to accertain the clients budget and advise what size/type house the client can expected, rather than simply asking how many rooms, living spaces, ensuites, etc. I know it's a complex thing to give a cost on a draft design, but they could give some basic guidelines on rough costs for basic, high end finishes before submitting for planning. They possibly should also advise on aspects that can impact on costs, like large footprint, complex roof, steel, lot of glazing, etc. I know costing is a job for a qs, but this type of basic advice would reduce the ammount of time wasted having to go for change of house due to the first application being too ambitious, not to mention disappointment that the client has to scale back on their grand design.

Advertisement