Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are Farmers doing working in middle of night?

Options
  • 19-07-2016 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

OK - was gonna put this is Farming category but thought I might get lynched by a bunch of farmers :D - mind you knowing the nature of Boards I am most probably gonna be called on this anyway wherever I put it.

But I went to bed at 2.30am last night (/morning, whatever way you look at it) and i could hear a drone of a tractor going around a field in the Distance.

Yep , I know "You choose to live in the shticks, what do you expect? yada, yada .." business - but come on, why cant the farmers do their work on the fields in daylight hours (most probably can tell I am not a farmer, do not come from a farming family, have not got one iota what farming is all about. - I do know milk comes from a cow though and rashers come from pigs :D )

anyway, yeah is their no rules about them and what hours they can work and keep people awake with their noisy farm machinery?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Ya gotta make hay while the sun shines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Making hay while the sun shines. At night.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

OK - was gonna put this is Farming category but thought I might get lynched by a bunch of farmers :D - mind you knowing the nature of Boards I am most probably gonna be called on this anyway wherever I put it.

But I went to bed at 2.30am last night (/morning, whatever way you look at it) and i could hear a drone of a tractor going around a field in the Distance.

Yep , I know "You choose to live in the shticks, what do you expect? yada, yada .." business - but come on, why cant the farmers do their work on the fields in daylight hours (most probably can tell I am not a farmer, do not come from a farming family, have not got one iota what farming is all about. - I do know milk comes from a cow though and rashers come from pigs :D )

anyway, yeah is their no rules about them and what hours they can work and keep people awake with their noisy farm machinery?

I dont know much about farming my self, but isn't it silage season, amd too hot to work during the day. Plus I think the noise rule only applies to urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

DOGGING.....farmer style...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Making silage or hay...they have only a limited window to harvest with many reliant on only a limited number of contractors who can't get to everyone in daylight hours when there's weather like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

They've scheduled their working hours purely to annoy you. Canny lads, them farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Ya gotta make hay while the sun shines.

sun weren't shining at 2.30am :D

I thought the Angelus was put in place to tell the farmers to knock of at 6pm originally ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Its been dry, they have to get the silage cut and in while they can, there's thunder across Sligo bay at the moment, is it raining where you are yet?

Move to the city if it bothers you, I'm sure you'll never hear any vehicle noise at night then. Anybody that thinks the countryside is quiet has never lived in the countryside.

They've scheduled their working hours purely to annoy you. Canny lads, them farmers.

Ah typical! - as if my blood pressure isnt raised enough already! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I thought it was to avoid birds eating whatever they are planting/digging up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Ah typical! - as if my blood pressure isnt raised enough already!

Wait till they start spreading slurry in this heat

LgP 2400 going for gold :) :

Sounds like a dedicated farmer.
    I'd say he's outstanding in his field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

They were cutting grass for silage/haylage/hay aand they needed the few dry days for this. The rain comes back tonight, so they'll be working like crazy to get it all in before that happens, although given the humidity it's probably wet already!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Like everyone said silage/hay etc. They may have started earlier in the day and got broken down and now they're trying to get it done.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Its been dry, they have to get the silage cut and in while they can, there's thunder across Sligo bay at the moment, is it raining where you are yet?

Move to the city if it bothers you, I'm sure you'll never hear any vehicle noise at night then. Anybody that thinks the countryside is quiet has never lived in the countryside.

a rumble of thunder or 2, very close/humid - no rain yet

sun weren't shining at 2.30am :D

I thought the Angelus was put in place to tell the farmers to knock of at 6pm originally ?
    You've to get meadows knocked so the sun can dry it when it does shine. Then you've got to bale it, turn it, etc. If the contractor was coming at 6 or 7 to bale it, then maybe it needed to be turned or put into rows.
    Plenty of time to sleep when you know the cattle will have food all winter

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Sounds like a dedicated farmer. I'd say he's outstanding in his field.

He better be careful or he could turn into a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

People work late when they have tight deadlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They are making crop circle markings for landing guidance for the mother ship

Did you not hear the chanting?

gctest50 wrote: »
    Wait till they start spreading slurry in this heat

LgP 2400 going for gold :) :

ooh yeah lovely, and we all like to have our widows open in this heat and washing on the line ...

• Advertisement

What the **** did I just watch?

A big tractor spreading ****e at a vast rate to the tune of the Country and Western version of Kurt Cobain.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

ooh yeah lovely, and we all like to have our widows open in this heat and washing on the line ...

I'll see your "minor inconvenience for a few days" and raise you "living beside sewage works".

You've to get meadows knocked so the sun can dry it when it does shine. Then you've got to bale it, turn it, etc. If the contractor was coming at 6 or 7 to bale it, then maybe it needed to be turned or put into rows.
    Plenty of time to sleep when you know the cattle will have food all winter

lot of hassle - who'd be a farmer eh? , seems like hard work! :eek:

Imagine the cheek of them. You should have sent out a notification when you moved into the area alerting all the farmers to your presence and how your comfort and enjoyment trumps the nessessary jobs they need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Imagine the cheek of them. You should have sent out a notification when you moved into the area alerting all the farmers to your presence and how your comfort and enjoyment trumps the nessessary jobs they need to do.

Lol I know, but it is very annoying on a lovely sunny day, put a line of washing out, then, if you have to go out, come back to your lovely washing stinking of slurry, or having to run out and get it in before he starts. ;)

shar01 wrote: »
    I'll see your "minor inconvenience for a few days" and raise you "living beside sewage works".

no , i'll pass thanks :D - sounds sh1te ...

muddypaws wrote: »
    Lol I know, but it is very annoying on a lovely sunny day, put a line of washing out, then, if you have to go out, come back to your lovely washing stinking of slurry, or having to run out and get it in before he starts. ;)

None of that carry on in an urban area :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

?

The Liffey , Dublin ? be like one of them open sewers in India

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Pokemon infestation, worrying the sheep

• Advertisement

yep - cars polluting they put catalytic converter on em - cows release all that methane into the environment and its changing our weather system apart from anything else . I will never get farming

Advertisement