Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are Farmers doing working in middle of night?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

yep - cars polluting they put catalytic converter on em - cows release all that methane into the environment and its changing our weather system apart from anything else . I will never get farming

Oh give over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

a rumble of thunder or 2, very close/humid - no rain yet

... spoke too soon it poured!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

OK - was gonna put this is Farming category but thought I might get lynched by a bunch of farmers :D - mind you knowing the nature of Boards I am most probably gonna be called on this anyway wherever I put it.

But I went to bed at 2.30am last night (/morning, whatever way you look at it) and i could hear a drone of a tractor going around a field in the Distance.

Yep , I know "You choose to live in the shticks, what do you expect? yada, yada .." business - but come on, why cant the farmers do their work on the fields in daylight hours (most probably can tell I am not a farmer, do not come from a farming family, have not got one iota what farming is all about. - I do know milk comes from a cow though and rashers come from pigs :D )

anyway, yeah is their no rules about them and what hours they can work and keep people awake with their noisy farm machinery?

Bloody townies!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

They stay up at night to fight aliens. That's why they're subsidised.
    Those brave boys.

you know when cows sh!te in the field , and that seep's into the ground and water table and into the rivers and then into drinking water - what does that do to us humans? - just wondering like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

OK - was gonna put this is Farming category but thought I might get lynched by a bunch of farmers :D - mind you knowing the nature of Boards I am most probably gonna be called on this anyway wherever I put it.

But I went to bed at 2.30am last night (/morning, whatever way you look at it) and i could hear a drone of a tractor going around a field in the Distance.

Yep , I know "You choose to live in the shticks, what do you expect? yada, yada .." business - but come on, why cant the farmers do their work on the fields in daylight hours (most probably can tell I am not a farmer, do not come from a farming family, have not got one iota what farming is all about. - I do know milk comes from a cow though and rashers come from pigs :D )

anyway, yeah is their no rules about them and what hours they can work and keep people awake with their noisy farm machinery?
    Farmers generally work when there's work to be done and while the weather allows.

In spring, spreading slurry in short daylight hours and land being barely able to hold machinery and ploughing/planting while soils are dry enough to enable crops to be set so they have a good chance of germination.

In summer, cutting silage and again spreading slurry and spraying crops to protect against disease.

In autumn, harvesting crops and baling straw while it's dry so they don't heat/sprout in storage when they are damp and setting crops again and, again, spreading slurry.

In winter, feeding cattle in the yards and buying/selling feed/silage/straw from farm to farm.

And in spring it all starts all over again.

Tbh, farmers would prefer a nice 9-5, 5 day week farming job but, while the weather and regulations are stacked against them, they take whatever opportunity to do the job when they can. They don't actually just drive on the roads at 40kph just to annoy you, they have a job to do further on the road and are just trying to get the job done as efficiently as possible so they can get onto the next job.

you know when cows sh!te in the field , and that seep's into the ground and water table and into the rivers and then into drinking water - what does that do to us humans? - just wondering like?

A hell of a lot less than eating shyte in McDonalds, I would imagine.

You get big bushy eyebrows and hair grows from your ears.
    You can look that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm still trying to work out a catalytic converter for a cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

They thought that we were quittin', oh when the sun went down
    With the flame from the pipe we drove all night til the fuel it ran out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Lots of stuff to be done tBM

Towing liftin' sowing baling, drawing hauling and buck raking
    Backin' stackin' plowin' crashing, tippin' rappin' tail doors flappin'
    Sucking diesel Cuttin' trucking, spreadin' piping double clutching
    Spinning slidin' diggin' raking, rareing tearin' loosing weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How do you know it was a tractor? Could have been people out diffin in their Red TDI Passats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The cheek of them!!! Imagine trying to make the most of the dry fine weather before it breaks and the ground is soaked again

OP you should make a complaint, that'll learn them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

And I tell you one thing, if any youngfella on a front loader thinks he has time to be snapchatting with most of the bucks round here, he'll be straight out the fcuking gate!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

They could also be playing Pokemon Go, cover more ground in a tractor than on foot

Probably less than human waste entering the treatment systems:pac:

Cattle dung and urine is broken down very quickly once it hits the soil. There is millions of years of evolution involved in selecting micro organisms like bacteria and insects who consume and breakdown the products and recycle them back into nutrients for the plants to consume and grow and be eaten and passed back into the soils again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Serenading the cattle.

Lucyfur wrote: »
    A hell of a lot less than eating shyte in McDonalds, I would imagine.

A big beefy McDonalds is much more tastier tho ...

sounds like a Christy Moore song that :D

• Advertisement

They could also be playing Pokemon Go, cover more ground in a tractor than on foot

haha - yeah, course thats what it is, they are catching them all at 2.30 in the morning :D

Most probably looking for a rare farmander! ...

If you're gonna live in the country you need to know the difference between Christy and Marty

Not quite

Probably less than human waste entering the treatment systems:pac:

Cattle dung and urine is broken down very quickly once it hits the soil. There is millions of years of evolution involved in selecting micro organisms like bacteria and insects who consume and breakdown the products and recycle them back into nutrients for the plants to consume and grow and be eaten and passed back into the soils again.

thanks, thats put me mind at rest ... im going to get a glass of water now ..

Lucyfur wrote: »
    If you're gonna live in the country you need to know the difference between Christy and Marty

what happens if you dont? - I know who I have heard of the most and it isnt that Marty one - never heard of the buck, and I listen to OceanFM and Midwest Radio...

thanks, thats put me mind at rest ... im going to get a glass of water now ..
    Enjoy:D

what happens if you dont? - I know who I have heard of the most and it isnt that Marty one - never heard of the buck, and I listen to OceanFM and Midwest Radio...

The farmers will hunt you down for complaining and not knowing Marty. But mostly the complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

If you were any use of a neighbour you'd be out there helping him.
    It's a rare country man that's inside before 11pm in this weather.

Enjoy:D

its got bits floating in it :eek: - I tipped it away .... poured meself a glass of whisky and it was clear, I'll have that instead Sláinté :)

• Advertisement

s4uv3 wrote: »
    If you were any use of a neighbour you'd be out there helping him...

What hunting Pokemon's ?

Advertisement