Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler chewing through dodies. Weaning off?

Options
  • 19-07-2016 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

My little man (21months) has taken to chewing right thro his dodies that they are now a bloody safety hazard :eek:

Any advice on the weaning off? The fear. he is totally reliant on them to get to sleep. he doesn't have an attachment to any teddies/anything even tho I have little teddies in his cot for months. At the mo', we are replacing them until we work out a solution but we'll be flat broke! we tried giving him just the shells in the hope that he'd find some comfort in fiddling/ biting them etc but nah.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Does he have it during the day? Take it during day first, then take it from his mouth while he's sleeping, then just as he falls asleep then get rid all together...

Also we left it under her pillow for the fairies and it was replaced with a present... Might be worth a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

cyning wrote: »
    Does he have it during the day? Take it during day first, then take it from his mouth while he's sleeping, then just as he falls asleep then get rid all together...

Also we left it under her pillow for the fairies and it was replaced with a present... Might be worth a shot!

We stopped the daytime dodie ages ago unless he had a fall or something and was hysterical. My little guy wouldn't understand the pillow/ present thing.

We tried him without it one night, as a case of having to cos realised we had no safe dodies left! :eek: He must have been wrecked cos he did go off to sleep without it after a cry for about 20mins but my god , when he woke at 4am and there was no dodie, he screamed, I mean screamed for an hour solid until we dug up a dodie . Both of us were in bits then as he's been a pretty good sleeper (WITH DODIES) and we had got used to our sleep. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I think you could use sleep training except with dodies. So have them at the ready. Choose time increments that you're comfortable with. Then increase the increment every night so for example the first night wait 2 mins before giving it to him, the next night wait 4 minutes, the third night 6 minutes etc.
    Worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

We actually found dodies from 18-36months (that I have never seen before, cos I thought they were not recommended after 18months etc). They are tougher so he has had them a couple of nights without chewing thro them. * postpones the inevitable :o

But seriously, he's being babysat tomo eve and I couldn't put him or someone else thro the trauma of weaning ...:eek:

Advertisement