Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late applying for part 4 tenancy

Options
  • 19-07-2016 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My fixed term rental agreement has expired after 3 years in a property. I didn't realise I needed to apply a month prior to expiration for part tenancy and another year. Landlord has offered month by month agreement. Can I still request the year instead? Fixed term ended on 4 July. Thanks for any advise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Wilton8 wrote: »
    My fixed term rental agreement has expired after 3 years in a property. I didn't realise I needed to apply a month prior to expiration for part tenancy and another year. Landlord has offered month by month agreement. Can I still request the year instead? Fixed term ended on 4 July. Thanks for any advise.

Part 4 tenancy rights on this tenancy elapse after 4 years (July 4th 2017) and a new cycle begins. 6 months after that you have part 4 tenancy rights again. Simply put, after the end of the fourth year your LL can end the tenancy giving you the correct notice. Until the last day of the fourth year, you automatically attain part 4 rights so the month by month "agreement" is crap, he/she can't evict you without just cause for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wilton8

davo10 wrote: »
    Part 4 tenancy rights on this tenancy elapse after 4 years (July 4th 2017) and a new cycle begins. 6 months after that you have part 4 tenancy rights again. Simply put, after the end of the fourth year your LL can end the tenancy giving you the correct notice. Until the last day of the fourth year, you automatically attain part 4 rights so the month by month "agreement" is crap, he/she can't evict you without just cause for another year.

Thanks that's good to hear. I thought it was only automatic with a periodic tenancy. I had a fixed term lease.

Advertisement