Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Tie Wedding

• 19-07-2016 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭

Been invited to a Black tie wedding in mid November. I need to get a dress but I have no idea what length/ style/ colour to go for.

I am about 5ft 2", a fairly top heavy 10-12. I normally go for brighter colours for summer weddings, generally fit and flare/ tea length dresses.

Any suggestions? Some articles state full length is a must, others are suggesting that any dress that you normally would pick will work (but is this is the case, why bother to state black tie?!).

So fashionwise people, what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Black tie = full length IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

It doesn't have to be full length per se (but it does need to be formal- think Audrey Hepburns black dress etc) but you do need to dress it well. You've some options as its in winter- velvet, rich colours, fur, etc. You can go properly glitzy and glam. I'd wait until the season changes in the shops tbh because you'll possibly get more appropriate stuff in Autumn/winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I think full length is the obvious interpretation but I'm sure some guests will go for a more formal looking cocktail dresses too. Think awards ceremony for inspiration :)

I agree with previous posters that its probably still too early to go shopping, but by mid august the autumn/winter stock will start coming into the shops and you should be able to start looking then.

For gents, it means tux instead of standard suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Addle wrote: »
    Black tie = full length IMO.

Actually it's just formal evening dress, so can be cocktail or full length, but must be formal evening attire. It's gala dress that is full length awards style dress.

Turtle_ wrote: »
    Actually it's just formal evening dress, so can be cocktail or full length, but must be formal evening attire. It's gala dress that is full length awards style dress.

What's the difference between black tie and a regular wedding for female guests so? Or is there any?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Addle wrote: »
    What's the difference between black tie and a regular wedding for female guests so? Or is there any?

Evening attire.

Weddings are usually morning dress (pastels, floral, nudes) whereas black tie would be more evening. Think if what you'd wear to a formal dinner. Can go with stronger deeper colours, more glitter, and the light pastel type colours people often wear to weddings would be out of place.

I see a lot of that at non black tie affairs.
    I never wear pastels or patterns myself.

Advertisement