Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room temperature

Options
  • 19-07-2016 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hey,

A little ahead of myself here, the OH is due next week and hopefully all goes well and to plan.

Something that has crossed my mind over the last couple days especially due to the hot weather is I have no idea how to keep our room cold should the weather be mid/high 20's at some stage again.

I know that newborns can't regulate their own temperature really and it is important to have the room at a suitable temperature.

We got a GroEgg and out of curiosity we tried it in the bedroom today and it was (and still is 26+ degrees which is way too hot).

Any thoughts on how to keep the room cold?

We have the window open,
    The room gets the sun in the morning so don't see much point closing curtains in evening in order to keep heat out.
    I wouldn't think using a fan would be (a) very effective outside the immediate area but (b) couldn't have a fan on top of a baby as I can't imagine the draft would be helpful.

I'm sure there is a simple solution that I just haven't thought of though.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Turkish1 wrote: »
    Hey,

A little ahead of myself here, the OH is due next week and hopefully all goes well and to plan.

Something that has crossed my mind over the last couple days especially due to the hot weather is I have no idea how to keep our room cold should the weather be mid/high 20's at some stage again.

I know that newborns can't regulate their own temperature really and it is important to have the room at a suitable temperature.

We got a GroEgg and out of curiosity we tried it in the bedroom today and it was (and still is 26+ degrees which is way too hot).

Any thoughts on how to keep the room cold?

We have the window open,
    The room gets the sun in the morning so don't see much point closing curtains in evening in order to keep heat out.
    I wouldn't think using a fan would be (a) very effective outside the immediate area but (b) couldn't have a fan on top of a baby as I can't imagine the draft would be helpful.

I'm sure there is a simple solution that I just haven't thought of though.

Any suggestions?
    We got a fan for our first child's room

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Ever notice how when buildings collapse in earthquakes the only living things they pull out are newborns?

Babies are born in temperatures much higher than you are talking about on a daily basis. No regulation required.

Everything is normal to a baby. It'll be grand.

Babies are much more resilient than we are. Innocence is bliss. Bring it home, feed it, make sure it sleeps. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

The recommended temps are 18 degrees with about 4 layers on! My 2 week old is in just a nappy and vest the last few nights and he's grand.
    Babies go from 37 degrees on the womb, to 27 in the hospital. They'll be grand in your bedroom.
    Obviously if you had access to a fan of be using that in the house and removing it from his direct path at night so he wouldn't get a chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

Keep the room as cool as you can by opening the door and window to let some air in. Put blackout blinds on the window and keep them closed during the day when the sun is at it strongest in order to try to stop the room heating up. Keep the baby cool - don't put layers of clothes or blankets on. If the temp is high, strip the baby down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Is the sun directly on the window during the day?

If so, keep the window closed and pull down/close the shutters. It will stop the heat getting to the glass, this alone would keep temperatures down. Then in the evening after the sun has gone down, if the room temp is still higher than the outside temp open the window for a while until the temps are aligned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Baby in nothing but a nappy and a vest. Get a fan to circulate the air in the room constantly - don't have the fan blowing *on* a newborn, they might get too cold. Have your windows open if necessary, doors open, etc.

You'll be glad of the white noise from the fan.

Then you get the fun of moving a child to their own room just as the temps outside hit negative figures, and constantly fiddling with the heating to get the temperature right. Enjoy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Thanks for the responses.. Wasn't overly concerned just thought there may have been few simple things as you have kindly listed above to make it a little more comfortable.

I have a feeling it will be the least of my worries in 2 weeks or so. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Turkish1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses.. Wasn't overly concerned just thought there may have been few simple things as you have kindly listed above to make it a little more comfortable.

I have a feeling it will be the least of my worries in 2 weeks or so. 😂

Good luck in the next few weeks! I had my first baby during a hot summer and for a month or two the bloody groegg was constantly red! I had myself convinced it was the reason he was such a bad sleeper and once the temperature dropped he'd be sleeping well (needless to say this wasn't the case!).

Like the others I kept him in a vest but I did have some big muslins and I wrapped one around his legs to stop him jerking awake (a half swaddle if you will!). I found that worked really well to give him the feeling of security without being too hot

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My first was born two years ago in this heat (yes, we did have these temps in 2014!!!). I currently have a 17 week old aswell.

The heat was a nightmare for a first time parent! But honestly, they are very resilient. I was more worried during the day, because this being Ireland, it can and does get quite cool sometimes at night so I just put her in her usual and varied the layers of blankets accordingly.During the day was tough though, I was never sure if she was too warm or too cold. It's so hard to know when you're out in that bloody breeze.....

My 17 week old is currently sleeping in a babygro only and a blanket. She's in a vest pretty much all day! But she's much sturdier and moving more, I wouldn't chance that with a newborn. To be honest, I wouldn't spend too much time checking room temperatures, you'll freak yourself out. Just keep the room - warm. If it's a bit hot for you, it's probably ok for the baba. Also, you'll know because when you pick them up, they'll be sweating (or not)

And you're right. It will be the least of your worries! If your OH is breastfeeding - now THAT'S tough in this heat. She'll sweat a lot anyway after the birth, losing fluid and the heat makes it worse. Make sure she drinks loads and loads of water if feeding the baby herself, she'll need it. And that she has plenty of tshirts and pyjamas, because you're in a fresh one practically every night.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

It's a very tricky time to have a newborn in this heat. Having them sleep with no blankets is key. I have a 12 week old and the last few nights she's slept in just a nappy and a vest. In extreme temps I'd just leave them sleep in nappy alone. I was using swaddling as a tool to get her to sleep but had to drop the swaddle this week as she was bathed in sweat when I was doing a night feed the other night. Putting a muslin cloth between the baby's head and your arm/your wife's arm when feeding the baby will help with the sweat.- if I don't do this at the moment the baby's head is stuck to my arm with the sweat after a feed (breast or bottle).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Our baby has just slept in his nappy the last few nights, I did attempt to put a sheet on him but he just kicked it off and panned out with no covers on him. The temperature in our room was mid to high 20's. I've been b'feeding him a bit more just to make sure he doesn't dehydrate

• Registered Users Posts: 23,541 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Babies are tougher than you think, by the time you have number 2 or 3 you'll realise all the things that the books are magazines and shops are trying to sell you are pointless and a waste of money.

If it's warm just a vest and nappy on top of the covers , if it gets cool at night then add a growbag.
    Avoid use any of the bumpers around the cot as they reduce circulation.

Remember we live in Ireland, our countries much at warmer than us actually have babies too and they manage

Advertisement