Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I stay back or dive straight into Junior Cert Year?

• 19-07-2016 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have just completed Second Year but I missed all but about 3 months in total due to being in hospital and other issues relation to severe mental illness. I have been discussing things with my parent and am trying to decide what is best for me.. does anybldy know whether it is a good idea to stay back a yea to get settled back into school without having exams looming? I got 4 A's, 2 B's, a C and 2 D's in my sumer exams and I have a high IQ but I'm not really sure what to do... any advice would be great... thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Limbo159

Hi Jamie!!
    I hope you are feeling better and enjoying your summer. It's a tough decision and you sound like a bright lad. I guess the real question here is how do you think u will cope with the pressure of exams. Do you need some more time to heal and gain more strength before diving into a stressful environment.
    Or
    Do you think staying back, having to see your friends go forward without you and make new friends be more stressful than exams.

It really depends on you, but I bet that deep down you know the best decision for you.

The thing about the Junior Cert, it's a practice run, it's doesnt carve out your future. If your happy with your group of friends, and feel like your in a good and safe place i probably would continue on, but really you know best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

I say keep with it, junior cert means nothing unless you leave school (watch i assume you won't). Unless you skip TY, i see no other reason why not to do it (as you got the marks to show).

Just do it, get it out of the way and then you can get the leaving cert and that's where you'll exel!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Keep going. You will catch up fairly quickly once you're back. You might need a bit of extra help with things like Maths but that can be arranged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

You seem quite bright to me. I think it would be best for you to continue on with your classmates. At the end of the day, these exams won't define your future. If you're able and willing, try to cover some of the work you missed over the summer to get up to speed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I wouldn't worry about the academic side of it at all. That will sort itself out eventually whether the JC goes to plan kr schedule or not - you're obviously an intelligent person. I would just consider whether you want to continue on with your current year group as they head into 3rd year or whether you would prefer to start over in a new year group and go through the cycle with them instead.

There could be pros and cons to either choice depending on the school, the atmosphere, the individuals involved and your own feelings and relationships. Make whatever decision you feel most comfortable with and that you think will make you happiest day to day, outside of any concerns regarding exams.

• Advertisement
Advertisement