Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice Needed

• 19-07-2016 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Guys,

I would appreciate some advice. I am due to resit the tax elective next month. Unfortunately I found out last week that my firm are not keeping me on after my probation period and I will be finishing work later this week to concentrate on my exam. I am really worried as to what my future prospects are in accountancy and what my options are. Here is background to my current situation.

I entered a 3 year training contract just over 3 and half years ago. I was there 2 and a half years and got my CAP2's and FAE Core first time. I a progressed well in the job until I came back from my FAE exams. I gained a lot of experience in Income Tax and Accounts Prep for small clients. Unfortunately things in the office weren't great and I ended up leaving my contract early. I suffered quite a lot of work place bully which really had a bad affect on me.

I got a new job through a family friend. Unfortunately I was only doing bookkeeping and payroll work so I decided to leave after 6 months.

I got a job in a small auditing firm earlier this year and got great experience in Audit. Unfortunately I was told last week that my firm are not keeping me on after my probation period. They didn't give me a reason but I got the feeling there wasn't enough work for me.

I am don't know where to go from here as I am unsure what my prospects are. I would like to stay in practice for another few years but I don't want to work in a small firm again due to the way things have gone so far.

Sorry for rambling but if anybody has some advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Concentrate on getting your last exam. Take it one step at a time. There's a lot of opportunities out there for both qualified and part qualified accountants. Just make sure your next job is one you are happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Start checking out vacancies on the chartered accountants website. Also get in contact with the careers advisory department and ask for their advice. Most of the support is free so it's well worth using!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Not sure what the training route is like now, I'm qualified a few years. But have you a training diary to maintain/complete? Has it been signed off as you go along? I'm guessing it has been completed at this stage. Just to ensure that when you (hopefully) pass your last exam that the way should be clear to get your paperwork in order with the Institute and get your letters.
    Concentrate on getting your last exam and then look for new qualified accountants jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nearly Qualified Accountant

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update on my situation.

I thought the tax elective exam was tough and my thoughts on it were similar to everyone in the FAE thread. I noticed quite a number of other people how are in the same boat and are sitting the third time also so it's not just me how is having issues passing it.

On the Job front, I have been talking to a recruiter and had one interview which I didn't get as I hadn't quite enough experience. The recruiter also had another possible interview lined up but I haven't heard back from him since last week. I called him a couple of times during the week but no reply so I think I might have to look at another recruiter.

I have also been looking at Job websites but there isn't as many jobs as earlier in the year. I want to stay in practice and wish to get in to a bigger firm as I need a bit more experience. It also seems to me from both experience and talking to others that a lot of firms want people with a experience but are not willing to train people up especially with audit which I want to get more experience in.

I am currently getting my previous experience up to date and signed off.

Really unsure what my prospects are now and also long term given my current situation.

Thanks

Advertisement