Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible trespassing landlord

Options
  • 20-07-2016 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

So I'm renting a house. I've been here about a year. When I was moving in, I gave my landlord a list of things to fix and put right with the house. He did some of the list but not everything and the last I heard from him was about a month after I moved in. I pay the rent by online banking.

Now occasionally, I've come back and found a light left on here or there. I just assumed it was my own absent mindedness. However, when I went away for the weekend last Friday, I double checked all lights and made sure they were all off. When I came back Sunday night, the hall light was on. My guess is that the landlord either knows my habits or sees my car isn't outside and comes for a look around when I'm not here. What should I do?

As an aside, when I moved in, I got no receipt for a deposit, no lease or paperwork of any description and I live in a "furnished" 3 bedroom house with only 2 beds.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The landlord cannot enter the premises without your permission. I would suggest that you confirm that he is indeed entering while you are not home (ask him!), tell him to stop immediately and if he continues to do so, open a dispute with the PRTB.

He doesn't have to provide a lease, but as you are there over 6 months, you are now in a part 4 tenancy and are entitled to stay there for another 3 years at least. He can only give you notice under certain circumstances, like if he's selling or plans to move into it himself.

Do you have any record of the deposit? Did you pay it by bank transfer as well? If so your bank statement should be sufficient proof for the PRTB if you have problems with him when you are leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ring him and ask him if it's him.

If he says it's not, then insist that he needs to get the locks changed immediately, because clearly someone else (eg a former tenant) has a key to your place and is preparing to burgle it.

If the two beds thing really a problem? Were there only two beds there when you viewed the place? Personally I would love to have an empty room that could be used as a study. (That said, you should have insisted on an inventory of stuff being taken when you moved in - and if the LL didn't do it, you should have.)

Advertisement