Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank payment blacklist?

• 20-07-2016 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about a black list that banks run whereby they won't allow money to be paid to certain names?

My wife went into Ulster bank to get a sterling cheque written out to a niece and was told they couldn't write a cheque for that name as it was on a blacklist.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Seems odd, you would imagine for every dodgy name there would be many other customers with the same name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Personal names or names that are confusing similar to certain organisations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A name like John Smith or Joe Murphy! The computer said no the operator could not print out a cheque made out to that persons name? The operator said the person was on a backlist? Two weeks earlier my wife had a sterling cheque made out in the same bank for a different relative with no problem.

Thats about as much as I know apart from the fact my wife made a fuss about it and I can't really blame her.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

That sounds incredibly odd, I've never heard of that before. I mean it's not like she was going in and asking for one to be made out to John Gilligan, that might have raised a flag, but even then, I've never heard of an individual name being on a blacklist. If it's for a not-too-big amount, you can get a sterling postal order from the post office, and that can be made out to anybody you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

In the end she did go and get a sterling postal order.

• Advertisement
Advertisement