Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving other cars abroad

Options
  • 20-07-2016 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Im going on a summer trip later to Europe and my other half will need to drive a bit, we both have seperate policeis & i dont have her named on my policy but we usually dive each others cars on our own drive other motor veichles option. Does this work aborad or do i need to have her as a named driver on my policy ????? it doesnt have any deatial of this or exclusion on our policiies (were both with 123.ie),

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I've always wondered this too. Probably better to ask in the Motor Insurance forum :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Can a mod move please ??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Most insurers I've been always excleuded or amended their policies few years ago to exclude "driving other car" extension while abroad.
    I'v never been with 123 though, and quick glance at their policy booklet doesn't seem to suggest that it's excluded.
    But you'd need to really go through all the paperwork from them through to be 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring your insurer and ask, or read the T&C.

When looking for T&Cs in insurance policies, is it enough to look at the insurance certificate or is the policy booklet also relevant even though some details aren't noted on the insurance certificate.

For example I've seen an insurance certificate which states that driving of other cars is allowed as long as they are not owned by the policy holder and the engine size is 2500 cc or less. The policy booklet states that the car must also be roadworthy but nothing about road-worthiness is mentioned on the certificate.

• Advertisement

shietpilot wrote: »
    When looking for T&Cs in insurance policies, is it enough to look at the insurance certificate or is the policy booklet also relevant even though some details aren't noted on the insurance certificate.

For example I've seen an insurance certificate which states that driving of other cars is allowed as long as they are not owned by the policy holder and the engine size is 2500 cc or less. The policy booklet states that the car must also be roadworthy but nothing about road-worthiness is mentioned on the certificate.

All matters.
    What's written on insurance certificate, on your insurance schedule, and in the policy, and needs to be read as a whole.

So sometimes might not be easy to actually find out what you can and what you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

i rang and asked and they said no only covered Ireland, but on the flip side made my policy 58euros cheaper to add her

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe fly over and rent a car instead? That way you'll both be able to drive, and the steering wheel will be on the correct side.

biko wrote: »
    Maybe fly over and rent a car instead? That way you'll both be able to drive, and the steering wheel will be on the correct side.

But he actually got €58 off his policy after adding his partner to the policy.
    So it turned out really great...

I wonder though what are they basing the fact that "driving other cars" doesn't work outside of Ireland, if it's not stated in the policy document.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

CiniO wrote: »

I wonder though what are they basing the fact that "driving other cars" doesn't work outside of Ireland, if it's not stated in the policy document.

Possibly due to the fact a lot of continental countries drive on the right?

• Advertisement

Possibly due to the fact a lot of continental countries drive on the right?

No, I'm not questioning why they don't allow "driving other cars" when abroad.

My own insurer does it (not allow driving other cars abroad), and it makes sense to me.

But my insurer states that fact clearly in the policy document.

Unless I missed it, nothing is stated in 123 Policy about "driving other cars" not being allowed when abroad.

So how can they say over the phone "sorry mate, this is not allowed" while it's not written in the document.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No, I'm not questioning why they don't allow "driving other cars" when abroad.

My own insurer does it, and it makes sense to me.

But my insurer states that fact clearly in the policy document.

Unless I missed it, nothing is stated in 123 Policy about "driving other cars" not being allowed when abroad.

So how can they say over the phone "sorry mate, this is not allowed" while it's not written in the document.

Maybe your reading of the policy document is faulty?

If you want a definitive answer write to the insurer and ask for an reply with specific reference to the policy terms and conditions.

Never rely on phone calls or emails.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Notch000 wrote: »
    i rang and asked and they said no only covered Ireland, but on the flip side made my policy 58euros cheaper to add her

Was going to suggest you add her, she should do same and add you to her policy. Always works out cheaper in my experience, assuming you are both claim free, little/no points, full NCB, similar age etc.. Have never heard of it leading to additional costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

I added a friend to my fully comp AXA policy this year, even as a temporary named driver he was insured in France. Any named driver though, temporary or permanent was only insured third party while abroad though.

I added a friend to my fully comp AXA policy this year, even as a temporary named driver he was insured in France. Any named driver though, temporary or permanent was only insured third party while abroad though.

They don't have anything like that in their policy, so this couldn't really be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

"Driving other cars" generally works within the "territorial limits" of the policy. For RoI insurers, this can be anyone of RoI only, island of Ireland or Ireland&UK and travel between them. I didn't see anything broader than that when I was searching policies earlier in the year. By contrast, a number of the U.K. Insurers I have had over the years used EEA as territorial limits with usual exclusions (not hired, not owned by self/spouse).

From Liberty's terms & conditions:
    Foreign use
    Your policy provides the minimum cover
    you need by law to use the vehicle in:
    a any country which is a member of the
    European Union; and
    b any other country which has made
    arrangements to meet the minimum
    insurance requirements of the
    Commission of the European Union.
    We will automatically extend this to provide