Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waggle your 'Joystick' - Post your 3Dmark Scores here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Wow that overclock on the GPU looks sweet! Core at 2101, out of interest what are your settings at?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Wow that overclock on the GPU looks sweet! Core at 2101, out of interest what are your settings at?

Core extra 155 from stock
    Memory extra 545 from stock

thats a brilliant result, at least from the overclocks ive seen other partner cards getting, generally +50 to +100 on the core, my own can get to +70 before getting unstable

this is about the best ive been able to get from my setup on regular firestrike

these 1080ti's are some beasts to be fair

I hope you don't mind. My new score 21868

Fantastic score man, you've inspired me to try and tweek my over clocks more :)

• Advertisement

Fantastic score man, you've inspired me to try and tweek my over clocks more :)
    Please don't :)

haha dont think i can get my i7 over 4.6 and my core on the 1080 gets unstable past +70 so id say your fairly safe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Guys what is your timespy scores as per original posts in this thread people where people posted both firestrike and timespy scores?

haha dont think i can get my i7 over 4.6 and my core on the 1080 gets unstable past +70 so id say your fairly safe

Well, hate myself already, but:
    1 open your case
    2 set all your fans at 100%
    3 start benching

I bet with your ram running at 3200 mhz you can beat my score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Sorry for the newbie question but are yiz doing all these overclocking yokes just to see how much you can push it or is it for any particular reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Sorry for the newbie question but are yiz doing all these overclocking yokes just to see how much you can push it or is it for any particular reason?

The question is already answered in the thread title. It's pure "Joystick" waggling.
    There are valid reasons to overclock, usually to eek the last bit of performance out of an older system, or to achieve those few extra frames to get the most out of high refresh rate monitors. Enthusiasts having a bit of fun overclocking, pave the way for others to have an idea how much more they could get out of their system, and I'd say even hardware companies are interested in the numbers for future tweaks and revisions.

Extra performance, if it is there, why not use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I understand that but what difference does it make if you can get an extra 4 or 5 fps in a game?

Anyway, i should have copped by the thread title. Overclock away:pac:

I understand that but what difference does it make if you can get an extra 4 or 5 fps in a game?

Anyway, i should have copped by the thread title. Overclock away:pac:

5 frames will not make a difference when your game is at 120 fps I agree, but situation changes when you play at lets say 4k resolution and game dips to 40fps. Then extra 5 fps does make a huge difference.

Well I'm using my current overclock at the moment as it gives me a nice little boost at 4k gaming performance. But to be honest its more about seeing how far I can push things and how they stack up to other systems. I can't stand knowing that my PC parts can perform better and not do anything about it :)

CPU over clocking is a bit different though as I find my whole system is a lot quicker at day to day things so that's a must for me

new score of 21,896 :D got a 4700 out of the i7 somehow but im not really getting much past +75 on the gpu core, have you touched volts on the gpu btw?

new score of 21,896 :D got a 4700 out of the i7 somehow but im not really getting much past +75 on the gpu core, have you touched volts on the gpu btw?

Damn, that is good score!
    I didn't touch the volts or power limit, as both options are locked. I tried to unlock it using guides found here and there, but no luck so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

twinsen wrote: »
    I didn't touch the volts or power limit, as both options are locked. I tried to unlock it using guides found here and there, but no luck so far.

He shows you how in this video.

afterburner 4.4 beta has volts unlocked.

Alright this is the best i've got,

firestrike of 21,999........1 fecking point off :(

timespy of 9,449

I've my gpu volts at +90 and power limit at +120

please dont beat it :o:o:o i think il have to just throw my pc out the window,

to be fair your gpu overclock seems much better than mine and youve the same cpu at the same speed twinsen so i think you'll get past the 22,000 mark

• Advertisement

to be fair your gpu overclock seems much better than mine and youve the same cpu at the same speed twinsen so i think you'll get past the 22,000 mark
    Not happening it seems. I can run benchmarks with clocks from yesterday no problem, but that's the maximum :(
    If I even touch power limit or voltage 3dmark will crash straight away.

I dont know what to say

haha god damn it :D i think im going to leave you have it man, ive actually dialed back my overclocks for stability as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

New computer as per here and here

Time Spy 1.0: 5880
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/15073787

Firestrike 1.1: 15246
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/15073932

I bought DDR4 3000MHz RAM when I was building the computer and I just whacked it into the motherboard without changing any settings and it turns out it has been running at 2166MHz.

So I bumped it up to 3000 in the BIOS today and it gave a modest but noticeable increase!

Time Spy 1.0: 5935
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20207433?

Firestrike 1.1: 15469
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20207122?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There's a 1080 on Adverts and I don't need it, but...

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    There's a 1080 on Adverts and I don't need it, but...

No point replacing 980ti with 1080 i think. If you're lucky you'll get 30% performance increase. 1080ti is another story

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

twinsen wrote: »
    No point replacing 980ti with 1080 i think. If you're lucky you'll get 30% performance increase. 1080ti is another story

I know.

But also, it's water-cooled...

I bought DDR4 3000MHz RAM when I was building the computer and I just whacked it into the motherboard without changing any settings and it turns out it has been running at 2166MHz.

So I bumped it up to 3000 in the BIOS today and it gave a modest but noticeable increase!

Time Spy 1.0: 5935
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20207433?

Firestrike 1.1: 15469
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20207122?

Tweaked a few more things:

I enabled the XMP profile for the RAM but for some strange reason this seemed to prevent the Intel Turbo Boost from working correctly. So I switched to allowing the mainboard (ASUS) control the turbo-boost (with matched core speeds or whatever it's called). This gives another small upgrade:

Time Spy 1.0: 5984
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20240532?

Firestrike 1.1: 15605
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20240464?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I know.

But also, it's water-cooled...

Makes quite a difference! Went to around 2.0Ghz stable on mine after fitting the hybrid kit and this is on a SC (so reference) design.

Must get round to posting scores again.

Edit: They're annoyingly loud for a water loop though.

• Advertisement

Don't know if it's of interested to anyone but tweaked the Bios again and this time allowed Asus to control the turbo boost except without all the cores being synced:

Timespy went up slightly and Firestrike went down!!

Time Spy 1.0: 5991
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20267256?
    Will definitely go above 6k if I was to overclock either the processor or the graphics card but I'm still hopeful I might be able to get to 6000 without any "direct" overclock.

Firestrike 1.1: 15459
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12783363
    No idea why it went down.

One thing I noticed is that when the ASUS mainboard is managing the turbo boost (speed stepping still active) at 4.2GHz (top turbo for 6700k) the board is pushing up to 1.379V through each core of the i7. It seems a little high - but I never checked what it was prior to my RAM and processor tweaking.

Advertisement