Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guardian required for travel?

Options
  • 20-07-2016 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I am in middle of getting guardian of my son. I had a few issues getting his mothers agreement so I went to solicitor and we have court date

I am planning on bringing my young fellow on trip to UK but someone just said to me I would need to be guardian before I can fly because if anything happens I cant sign for him etc

Is this correct? I am on birth cert etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Being on the birth cert means nothing. It only confers guardianship if you're married.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

You would need the mother's permission but you don't have to be guardian. How would airport staff know who is guardian to a child or not.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

In this case the best thing to do is to get the childs mother to write a letter outlining that you as the father have permission to take him to the UK from date a to date b. Leave it in your luggage until you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Might be different in Ireland but here in Germany the birth certificate along with the passport are both required when travelling alone, especially if the child's name is not the same as the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I flew Dublin to France and back with my 3 children, without their father, my name is different to theirs' . I was never asked any questions. I had a letter from him in my bag but never used it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement