Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewal of Broombridge Irish Rail

• 20-07-2016 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hello,
    Does anybody know for sure what plans or timeline - if any, are set for the redevelopment of Broombridge railway station? I note on the Wiki article* that it is expected the station will be completely rebuilt this year in tandem with, or in anticipation of the new tram depot located just behind. However, on the LuasCrossCity site**, visualizations and engineering plans describe no alteration whatever on the Irish Rail side of the fence. Nor does the Irish Rail site make any mention and there is no sign of IR works at Broombridge.
    Is it possible that they’ll undermine the thrust of renewal which the new tram infrastructure brings to Cabra West, by leaving the existing, stinking mainline station untouched? It almost seems an invitation to continue nefarious business as usual at this notorious stop.

* h t t p s : en . wikipedia . org / wiki / Broombridge_railway_station
    ** h t t p s : / / w w w . luascrosscity . ie / galleries / broombridge-depot

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Existing station looks untouched in those images:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I understand from skyscrapercity that there are no plans for Broombridge rail stop at all. Seems incredible since they're there doing work on the Luas depot, but nothing surprises me any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I thought there's a new overbridge to go in at the tram stop end of the platforms.
    http://www.dublinluasbroombridge.ie/Downloads/PlanofProposedWorks/02-STRUCTURES/17_BXD_ST_30_D-0.pdf

I thought there's a new overbridge to go in at the tram stop end of the platforms.
    http://www.dublinluasbroombridge.ie/Downloads/PlanofProposedWorks/02-STRUCTURES/17_BXD_ST_30_D-0.pdf
    Yes, there is a new bridge across, but the stop itself is remaining in it's poor (very poor) condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Yes, there is a new bridge across, but the stop itself is remaining in it's poor (very poor) condition.

What is it precisely that you want to be provided there?

A previous fantasist seemed to expect an overall roof which no other similar station on the network has.

Hopefully the development of the area will rid the worst of the scum from hanging around so the station can be cleaned up and seating/shelters added but beyond that what else do you expect for an urban stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Every time the touch off/on box is fixed, it gets smashed to pieces. Is there any point in wasting money on this stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well perhaps having a depot, there will be some sort of 24hr presence there, in terms of security, and being right beside the Irish Rail station, I'm sure it will fall under their watch.

Also, the Luas stop I imagine will be used by the local population significantly more than the current Commuter Rail stop (owing to the poor and infrequent service on the Western Line) which should also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I understand from skyscrapercity that there are no plans for Broombridge rail stop at all. Seems incredible since they're there doing work on the Luas depot, but nothing surprises me any more.

The thing is that the "they" is a different group between Luas and Irish Rail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,202 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I would speculate that IE are waiting to see how things transpire after the luas opens. Luas should bring some level of normality to an area that was previously a no mans land.

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »
    What is it precisely that you want to be provided there?

A previous fantasist seemed to expect an overall roof which no other similar station on the network has.

Hopefully the development of the area will rid the worst of the scum from hanging around so the station can be cleaned up and seating/shelters added but beyond that what else do you expect for an urban stop?
    Obviously a fully sheltered stop is a bit ridiculous; but if you compare this stop to Ashtown, they're night and day.

MJohnston wrote: »
    The thing is that the "they" is a different group between Luas and Irish Rail
    I thought TII did Irish Rail work as well? If that's the case and Irish Rail aren't under the remit of the old Railway Procurement Agency, then all I can do is just facepalm at the level of idiocy and overlap in this country!

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I would speculate that IE are waiting to see how things transpire after the luas opens. Luas should bring some level of normality to an area that was previously a no mans land.
    Perhaps. Am I correct that Broombridge will be a DART stop as well once the line is electrified?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dustyrip

They seriously need to do something with this station anyway. Needs more security to deal with some of the filth that get on at this station.

I was on the train from Maynooth a few weeks ago and 10 or so teenagers fully clad in their best tracksuits & white runners got on hurling abuse at all the passengers. There was four empty water bottles on the train which they started throwing at passengers. The bottles hit numerous people in the face. The train was stopped for 10-15 minutes at Broombridge. They also pulled the red emergency lead before they got off.

There must be a few bad stories from this station every week. They tend to throw rocks and stones at the windows of the train too! Complete scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,202 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Perhaps. Am I correct that Broombridge will be a DART stop as well once the line is electrified?

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Is there a timeline for the electrification of the line?

Also, if you know, are they going to get rid of level crossings only at the electrification stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

YanisK wrote: »
    Is there a timeline for the electrification of the line?

Also, if you know, are they going to get rid of level crossings only at the electrification stage?

Timeline would be 20never:pac:

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Timeline would be 20never:pac:

Optimistic - I would say 21never myself ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I thought TII did Irish Rail work as well? If that's the case and Irish Rail aren't under the remit of the old Railway Procurement Agency, then all I can do is just facepalm at the level of idiocy and overlap in this country!

Irish Rail were never under the remit of the Railway Prourement Agency. It was a daft name for a body whose main responsibility was trams (though it also had responsibility for planning Metro North, to be fair)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭markpb

icdg wrote:
    Irish Rail were never under the remit of the Railway Prourement Agency. It was a daft name for a body whose main responsibility was trams (though it also had responsibility for planning Metro North, to be fair)

Trams and motorways, a natural pairing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

markpb wrote: »
    Trams and motorways, a natural pairing.

Definitely - there's all those international examples of trams running down the medians of motorways... aren't there?

Of all the McCarthy report suggestions for merged QUANGOs this was the stupidest and yet they did it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

1huge1 wrote: »
    Also, the Luas stop I imagine will be used by the local population significantly more than the current Commuter Rail stop (owing to the poor and infrequent service on the Western Line) which should also help.

I dont think there will be anymore ridership. The area around Broombridge is literally just an old industrial which arent even really open to the public compared to the likes of Sandyford industrial estate.

My two cents is that most of the area will be zoned residential in the next decade or so and turned into apartments. The area is really close to the city and it doesnt make sense having 75% of those units there rather than somewhere beyond on the M50

Are you kidding? Royal Canal Park and Cabra residents will flood into that new Luas line, it's an absolutely fantastic connection to the city centre and beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭markpb

MJohnston wrote: »
    Are you kidding? Royal Canal Park and Cabra residents will flood into that new Luas line, it's an absolutely fantastic connection to the city centre and beyond.

Interestingly there are no plans to improve the existing canal tow path between Royal Canal Park and Luas Broombridge. No lights, no security, just a quiet, dark park though a rough as hell industrial estate with existing anti-social behaviour problems. I can't see many people walking between the two after dark.

I'm sure the Luas stop will do well and will be a great addition to the area but ignoring access to the Luas stop seems like a huge omission to me.

markpb wrote: »
    Interestingly there are no plans to improve the existing canal tow path between Royal Canal Park and Luas Broombridge. No lights, no security, just a quiet, dark park though a rough as hell industrial estate with existing anti-social behaviour problems. I can't see many people walking between the two after dark.

I'm sure the Luas stop will do well and will be a great addition to the area but ignoring access to the Luas stop seems like a huge omission to me.

From memory, the tow path is fine between RCP and the old Rathoath Road bridge, then its short stretch to the Luas. Or you could walk along the Ballybogan Road I suppose if the tow path felt dodgy. I suspect there will be safety in numbers for most of the day, but yeah, they ought to give that stretch a bit of care and attention (its about the only bit inside the M50 that isn't great for cycling on either. This is potentially part of the Royal Canal Greenway plans, rather than in the Luas works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

This is potentially part of the Royal Canal Greenway plans, rather than in the Luas works.

It is and I've definitely seen a plan for it somewhere but no start date etc. In the pipeline yet.

Here, found em:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning-planning-news/royal-canal-greenway-part-8

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

Hopefully the Broombridge/Cabra station will be improved with the addition of the Luas stop. It should allow for commuters from the Sligo/Maynooth and Dunboyne, lines to alight and take the luas into town, to DIT Gormanstown, or the green line luas.
    The station landscaped with the Royal Canal Greenway, and the Bridge where mathematician William Rowan Hamilton discovered Quaternions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

There's been major land-clearing going on on the piece of ground between the canal and claremont, just beyond the cottages. Would that be to do with the luas works?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

webwayz wrote: »
    Hopefully the Broombridge/Cabra station will be improved with the addition of the Luas stop. It should allow for commuters from the Sligo/Maynooth and Dunboyne, lines to alight and take the luas into town, to DIT Gormanstown, or the green line luas.
    The station landscaped with the Royal Canal Greenway, and the Bridge where mathematician William Rowan Hamilton discovered Quaternions.

Will Broombridge passengers have to change at Stephens Green for Green line or will all trams be direct services from Broombridge to Sandyford/Cherrywood?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

ongarboy wrote: »
    Will Broombridge passengers have to change at Stephens Green for Green line or will all trams be direct services from Broombridge to Sandyford/Cherrywood?

AFAIR Broombridge services will go as far as Sandyford, a change needed to go beyond there.

Advertisement