Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewal of Broombridge Irish Rail

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭thomasj

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/union-links-maynooth-rail-service-upgrade-to-pay-dispute-resolution-1.3274264
    [Restricted Article]

Article refers to a distributed leaflet, saying staff will not comply with enhanced Maynooth line service unless pay issue is resolved.

Has anyone seen this leaflet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I've been wondering what the details of this enhanced maynooth line service are but haven't found anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

I've been wondering what the details of this enhanced maynooth line service are but haven't found anything.

Increased frequency it sounds like...

To what frequency and to where (docklands, pearse, connolly) though. Will they stop all trains at broombridge? E.g. sligo trains

All improvements are welcome but be nice to know what they are.

They're enhancing off-peak services so late morning, afternoon , evenings , weekends, anywhere that's hourly will hopefully move to half hourly.

Fingers crossed as well Sunday evening services will extend to 11pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

All badly needed for the Maynooth line. For starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's all a bit pitiful really isn't it. All of the railways in Dublin Should have been electrified and had all level crossings removed in the 1960s and 1970s. We're now only going to a half hour frequency on the line that serves(poorly) the massive Blanchardstown area. And even that is being resisted by unions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

on the trainspotting forum here I said that ALL Sligo line serivces need to stop at Broombridge including inter-city. I was hit with trainspotters and IE staff literally attacking the idea because it is a break in tradition. It was a hell of an education about the culture of railways in Ireland I can tell. Trainspotters issuing long oratations on the horrors of Sligo trains connecting with the new Luas station.

So am I not suprised to see this behaviour by IE staff.

I suggested similar as well as the idea that broombridge should be configured so that some trains could terminate there allowing additional services without adding congestion to the city centre tracks.

Both notions were roundly ridiculed as apparently there'll be no demand for the interchange as costs will be excessive. Funnily enough I've seen many posts by users recently planning to use the interchange on their d15 commute as soon as it becomes an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think its a no brainer to rezone and redevelop the industrial estate to maybe a commercial/business park, high density housing and a town center.

Its 150 acres of prime land close to city center and great rail connectivity.

You could have 10,000 people working there and 10,000 living there also quite easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I think its a no brainer to rezone and redevelop the industrial estate to maybe a commercial/business park, high density housing and a town center.

Its 150 acres of prime land close to city center and great rail connectivity.

You could have 10,000 people working there and 10,000 living there also quite easily.

Much better the way it is - dereliction and low rise industrial units.

It's a really nice hidden area of the city, you have a quite large River park to the north, a nice linear park along the canal could be developed, phoenix park is close to the south.

I'd imagine people are waiting for Eoghan Murphy's new property legislation before any big plans are made.

A good idea would be to draw up a masterplan and timeline and phase it in as I'd imagine itd be a hard sell living beside a rundown industrial estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

In 20 years time that industrial estate will still be there..no foresight or anything even resembling in this country. Pathetic I know and I hope I'm wrong but severely doubt I will be unfortunately

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    In 20 years time that industrial estate will still be there..no foresight or anything even resembling in this country. Pathetic I know and I hope I'm wrong but severely doubt I will be unfortunately

Theres lots of money to be made there so hopefully something will happen. Surely apartments would make more money than the old warehouses that are currently there.

Lots of new apartments have sprung up just to the west towards Adamstown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Theres lots of money to be made there so hopefully something will happen. Surely apartments would make more money than the old warehouses that are currently there.

Lots of new apartments have sprung up just to the west towards Adamstown

Adamstown is miles away, in Lucan.

Sorry meant Ashtown

The Irish rail timetable is now up on their journey planner and there are no major changes :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Their timetable is more what suits the union members so that's hardly surprising. We don't have 10 minute DARTs, a business person cannot travel between the two largest Cities on the Island of Ireland by rail and make it on time for a 9am meeting. There are scarce intercity trains leaving Dublin at 19:00 which excludes people who might work late from the service. Overall the needs of the market are only given a footnote of consideration. What suits the staff is priority #1, don't expect that to change just because the luas is open.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

cgcsb wrote: »
    Their timetable is more what suits the union members so that's hardly surprising. We don't have 10 minute DARTs, a business person cannot travel between the two largest Cities on the Island of Ireland by rail and make it on time for a 9am meeting. There are scarce intercity trains leaving Dublin at 19:00 which excludes people who might work late from the service. Overall the needs of the market are only given a footnote of consideration. What suits the staff is priority #1, don't expect that to change just because the luas is open.

Or travel from Dublin to Wexford and arrive before midday!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

MJohnston wrote: »
    In reference to additional development in the Broombridge area, this new housing development nearby has gone on sale:

qy9y6X1.png

Hopefully as the residential density increases here, we see a push for redevelopment of the largely abandoned industrial estates.

While it's encouraging to see residential development in the area I noticed that this particular development seems to be the usual 3 and 4 bed terraced/semis. A bit of a missed opportunity, density could've been increased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

While it's encouraging to see residential development in the area I noticed that this particular development seems to be the usual 3 and 4 bed terraced/semis. A bit of a missed opportunity, density could've been increased.

It's surrounded by high density apartments, and the mid-rise height is fine for this area, I think. But also, 3/4 bed terraced townhouses are high enough density, it's the streets upon streets of semi-detached houses that are the problem in Dublin. I'd also note that there's still a lot of undeveloped land in this area ready for building on, you can see one big green patch there in the bottom middle for example. There's also Phoenix Park Racecourse just off to the right hand side which has a massive amount of space left to redevelop for residential.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

It is already high density, we are in a small land between a canal and the river tolka, there is not so many way out and when they will build new houses we will be stuck here!Good they built a bridge because before it took ages to get out from here

It's surrounded by high density apartments, and the mid-rise height is fine for this area, I think. But also, 3/4 bed terraced townhouses are high enough density, it's the streets upon streets of semi-detached houses that are the problem in Dublin. I'd also note that there's still a lot of undeveloped land in this area ready for building on, you can see one big green patch there in the bottom middle for example. There's also Phoenix Park Racecourse just off to the right hand side which has a massive amount of space left to redevelop for residential.

I disagree; it's an area relatively close to the city centre with a rail line running right in front of it with a proposal for another station to be located there, in a city with a major housing crisis: higher density apartments would be more appropriate. As for the Pheonix Park Racecourse; I'd suggest even higher density and higher rise here again due to it's close proximity to the rail line.

I disagree; it's an area relatively close to the city centre with a rail line running right in front of it with a proposal for another station to be located there, in a city with a major housing crisis: higher density apartments would be more appropriate. As for the Pheonix Park Racecourse; I'd suggest even higher density and higher rise here again due to it's close proximity to the rail line.

If this was to be any higher density it would have to be high rise, and imo high rise for non-luxury apartments is a massive mistake.

It is already high density, we are in a small land between a canal and the river tolka, there is not so many way out and when they will build new houses we will be stuck here!Good they built a bridge because before it took ages to get out from here

Fair enough but the point is that improving the public transport infrastructure should make the area less car dependent, thus decreasing congestion which is good for everyone.

If this was to be any higher density it would have to be high rise, and imo high rise for non-luxury apartments is a massive mistake.

The new development is 3/4 bed houses so presumingly 2/3 stories. I'm not proposing 40 story condos but 5/6 story apartments with the space that will be used for lawns and back gardens could've be combined to several shared green areas. We need more homes for people.

The new development is 3/4 bed houses so presumingly 2/3 stories. I'm not proposing 40 story condos but 5/6 story apartments with the space that will be used for lawns and back gardens could've be combined to several shared green areas. We need more homes for people.

But as I pointed out already, this area already has dozens of apartment blocks of 6 storeys or greater.

The plan for the area is high density at the transport nodes with apartment blocks up to eight stories with densities dropping as the distance from the transport nodes increases. This is reflected with this development and the three others underway in the area.

The existing accommodation in the area is 81% (pre2014) apartments, is concentrated around the transport nodes and has about 99 housing units per hectare. The average beds per unit is around 2.

When the three final sites are filled in there'll be about 84uph over the whole area which by my calcs equates to about 22600/km2 in poplar ion density.

That's a pretty high density by European standards. On phone so it's awkward but if you look up density maps of London, there are very few areas that achieve that density.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

But as I pointed out already, this area already has dozens of apartment blocks of 6 storeys or greater.

No, 'dozens of blocks of 6 storeys or greater' is an exaggeration. I'd say there's roughly 15 blocks total, between Rathborne & RCP. I live in one such block & we're 5 storeys. There might be blocks of 6+ storeys but there aren't dozens of them.

• Advertisement

No, 'dozens of blocks of 6 storeys or greater' is an exaggeration. I'd say there's roughly 15 blocks total, between Rathborne & RCP. I live in one such block & we're 5 storeys. There might be blocks of 6+ storeys but there aren't dozens of them.

Well it depends on what you're calling a block, I suppose. Though now I think the stats PhoenixParker worked out are a much better way of measuring the density here.

Advertisement