Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard bind dissertation for supervisor?

Options
  • 20-07-2016 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I'll be hard-binding two copies of my PhD for the university and another one for myself in the next few weeks. I'm wondering now if I'm expected to add additional hard-bound copies for my supervisors (who have soft-bound copies of the viva version, which has since received some minor revisions) - or is it normal practice just to make them for myself and the university?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The university usually requests more than one copy. In my uni, it requests 2, one copy for the library (even if there's a hold on it), and one to be presented to the supervisor at the exam board at which the PhD is finalised.
    So you'll probably be printing at least three, and maybe one for your mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wanderrr

Thanks. I'm under the impression that the university copies are for their records, and I have two supervisors so they couldn't both be for them. That's why I'm wondering what normally happens - are people told that a copy is for the supervisor, or do they just go ahead and make one themselves, or is it not expected to hard-bind a copy for your supervisors at all? I'm assuming that it would be a nice courtesy, but I don't really have a good reference point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I had 2 supervisors.

Gave two copies to registry (they're not prepare for having two supervisors on the paperwork).
    One copy given to library, one to the primary listed supervisor. (I was told this by others in the dept. Sup confirmed that it's presented at exam board and that giving three copies to registry would only mean one spare one confusing them despite having two sup's)

I printed two more, one as a gift to the other supervisor, one for the mammy. Decided I didn't need to be carting my thesis about in paper as I move from house to house.

So that's 4 in total (over 3 most places give a reduced binding rate).

If in doubt, ask your supervisor/registry.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wanderrr

Very helpful - thanks!

Advertisement