Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of neutering

• 20-07-2016 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    I took in a stray dog (female) a couple of months ago, we think she had been dumped. No microchip & after advertising no one claimed her. The problem is now she is in heat & she needs to be neutered she also still needs a microchip however I can't afford the cost. As I am working (minimum wage) I am not entitled to anything via social welfare. We are literally living from hand to mouth at the moment & cannot afford the expense. I don't want to give up the dog as she is happy here now & don't want to put her through another trauma. Has anyone any advice on any charity that would help out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Are you in Dublin? I think there's an animal charity that helps sw recipients with vet costs....is it the blue cross maybe?? I'm a bit vague on the details but they might help.
    Rescues charge a rehoming fee to help with costs so it's unlikely they will cover the bill for you but they might help out partially- there's no harm asking in your local rescue.
    Perhaps you could offer to help with dog walking, cleaning, feeding etc in return.

I think you need to make sure you actually own the dog though op, for all you know she was stolen and dumped in a place miles away from her home and had owners looking for her.
    Has she been reported to rescues, gardai pounds etc? All dogs have a minimum 5 day wait before they can be rehomed by law, has this all been done properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Hi OP,

Maybe look into the dogs trust.

https://www.dogstrust.ie/help-advice/neutering/subsidised-neutering

DSPCA also have something but not sure of exact cost.

http://www.dspca.ie/mobileclinic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Legally, unless the dog has done her statutory 5 days with the dog warden - which is usually in the pound, most of them won't allow the dog to do it with a foster home - then nobody can claim ownership of her for one year and one day after the day she was found. Did you report her to the warden and local Gardai?

If she is now in season, it is best to wait around 3 months to spay her, which would be the usual half way point between seasons.

Dogs Trust do a discounted spay and neuter scheme each year for SW recipients, if you ask at your local vet they may have some vouchers left, although they are usually given out around March each year, so it can be very difficult to find any after a couple of months.

Otherwise Blue Cross may be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

Layla C wrote: »
    Hi,
    I took in a stray dog (female) a couple of months ago, we think she had been dumped. No microchip & after advertising no one claimed her. The problem is now she is in heat & she needs to be neutered she also still needs a microchip however I can't afford the cost. As I am working (minimum wage) I am not entitled to anything via social welfare. We are literally living from hand to mouth at the moment & cannot afford the expense. I don't want to give up the dog as she is happy here now & don't want to put her through another trauma. Has anyone any advice on any charity that would help out?

http://www.stfrancis.ie/contact.html

These will help if in Dublin if not then try you local spca and see do they have any vets that do deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dishdash

Layla C wrote: »
    Hi,

its about €150 to do here where I live. if you wait 3 months like the other poster said that's about equivalent of saving a tenner a week. Might be possible, even if things are tight?
    Some (kind) vets might let you pay a bit up front and then pay by the week?
    Hope it works out. Hate to be discouraging but in the long term other costs arise with keeping a pet and it sounds like you might find it tricky to afford them, maybe long term you might want to think of re-homing?
    Well done on the initial rescue

• Advertisement
Advertisement