Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming an Estate Agent

Options
  • 20-07-2016 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

I've always wondered about this. What qualifications etc. are needed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

I've always wondered about this. What qualifications etc. are needed?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055457954

This is a previous thread some good advice and some bad but looks like DIT do a course it says you dont need qualifications but I think you would need to have something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

TBH selling anyone anything, no matter how much goodwill, always seems to bring out the worst in some people. I've worked for companies at both end of the spectrum and frankly the punters don't change much.

Seeing as you've a very apt username for this thread would you mind giving a bit of a steer please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

Angel2016 wrote: »

Nice one thanks! Do you - or anyone for that matter know - if a law degree would be of any benefit? Would it allow exemptions on the degree courses for EAs.

I really should just ring up the colleges but I think I might just be having exam blues! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

http://www.ipav.ie/education/courses/higher-certificate-real-estate-valuation-sale-management

This'll do it for you. Once you have passed this qualification you meet eligibility for a license. Once you find employment you will register with the PSRA and receive your license.

This is what the adds mean when they ask for somebody who is elligible for a license. You cant actually get it before you find a job.

• Advertisement

Nice one thanks! Do you - or anyone for that matter know - if a law degree would be of any benefit? Would it allow exemptions on the degree courses for EAs.

I really should just ring up the colleges but I think I might just be having exam blues! :pac:

There would certainly be exemptions granted for someone with a law degree but you would still have to study the rest.

Askthe EA wrote: »
    http://www.ipav.ie/education/courses/higher-certificate-real-estate-valuation-sale-management

This'll do it for you. Once you have passed this qualification you meet eligibility for a license. Once you find employment you will register with the PSRA and receive your license.

This is what the adds mean when they ask for somebody who is elligible for a license. You cant actually get it before you find a job.

Many Thanks! Are letting agents different - I'm seeing no experience necessary for those jobs.

Many Thanks! Are letting agents different - I'm seeing no experience necessary for those jobs.

No they're not. A property license is divided into 4 parts.

A,B,C & D.

A. auction of property other than land (cars, art etc)
    B. Purchase or sale of land
    C. letting of land
    D. Property Management

All letting agents must have a 'C' license.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Winniethethird

Hi AsktheEA,

I have worked for nearly 4 years as the manager in an estate agents.

I do let's and run the office, I don't have a licence but would like to get one but working full time means I couldn't do a course full time!

Have you ever heard of my type of experience counting towards a C license?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

...... working full time means I couldn't do a course full time!

There are evening courses available that will qualify you for a licence - I'm currently going into my last semester of this DIT/SCSI course - https://www.scsi.ie/education/scsidit_courses/property_facility_mgmt/home

I don't believe that your experience will exempt you from taking an academic course.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Hi AsktheEA,

I have worked for nearly 4 years as the manager in an estate agents.

I do let's and run the office, I don't have a licence but would like to get one but working full time means I couldn't do a course full time!

Have you ever heard of my type of experience counting towards a C license?

Yep, but you need 5 years working in the industry first before you would qualify.

I am 7 years working in an operational role in the industry and qualify. I have chosen to go through DIT and the Society of Chartered Surveyors which is more geared at the commercial end (IPAV is more residential focused) and do their part time course. 2 years will get you a licence and you can go on and do another 2 years for Bachelors Degree etc.
    https://www.scsi.ie/education/home

Many Estate agents do graduate programmes and interview every year to take people on. Or, if you are already working for one they may even sponsor you! You have years of knowledge already under your belt.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Winniethethird

Hi,

Thank you for your replies.
    I got in touch with the PSRA, they said that I would have to make an application to see if my experience would be enough to get a licence.

So fingers crossed..

Advertisement