Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with Mercedes Head Unit Replacement

• 20-07-2016 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. I recently purchased a 2002 Mercedes E220 (W210). I'm attempting to replace the standard head unit (Mercedes Audio-10) with an aftermarket one. I've researched and found that it's not very straight forward, but i'm following this video:

I've connected the wires into the line output convertor (alleged issue with distortion if you don't use this), and connected the wires from the Mercedes to the same. I apparently have to connect the power wire to the cigarette lighter, but when I do i'm getting no power. I've included pictures below as to where I am, so if anyone else has done this and has any advice, i'd truly appreciate it... I'm at a loss, no power at all.

392249.jpg

This is the Metra 70-1786 harness connected to the power/audio lines from the car. Straight forward connection.

392250.jpg

The aux cables from the Metra harness connected to the line output convertor.

392251.jpg

The wires from the Sony HU connected to the LOC (as per a wiring guide, front and rear, left and right, positive and negative).

392252.jpg

Connection into the rear of the Sony HU.

392253.jpg

The connected wires (yellow, blue and black) from the Sony HU to the Metra harness. This is where there is confusion. There is a spare red and orange wire, which are 12v power (red) and dimmer (orange). The dimmer i'm not worried about, but the power cable, according to the above video, goes into the cigarette lighter. However, there is also a red cable coming from the metra harness, but if I connect the two reds together, or to the cigarette lighter, i'm still getting no power.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭steveshort

Hi all. I recently purchased a 2002 Mercedes E220 (W210). I'm attempting to replace the standard head unit (Mercedes Audio-10) with an aftermarket one. I've researched and found that it's not very straight forward, but i'm following this video:

I've connected the wires into the line output convertor (alleged issue with distortion if you don't use this), and connected the wires from the Mercedes to the same. I apparently have to connect the power wire to the cigarette lighter, but when I do i'm getting no power. I've included pictures below as to where I am, so if anyone else has done this and has any advice, i'd truly appreciate it... I'm at a loss, no power at all.

392249.jpg

This is the Metra 70-1786 harness connected to the power/audio lines from the car. Straight forward connection.

392250.jpg

The aux cables from the Metra harness connected to the line output convertor.

392251.jpg

The wires from the Sony HU connected to the LOC (as per a wiring guide, front and rear, left and right, positive and negative).

392252.jpg

Connection into the rear of the Sony HU.

392253.jpg

The connected wires (yellow, blue and black) from the Sony HU to the Metra harness. This is where there is confusion. There is a spare red and orange wire, which are 12v power (red) and dimmer (orange). The dimmer i'm not worried about, but the power cable, according to the above video, goes into the cigarette lighter. However, there is also a red cable coming from the metra harness, but if I connect the two reds together, or to the cigarette lighter, i'm still getting no power.

There should be a battery live going to the orignal headunit, the lighter feed is a switched live. Check for power going to the head unit plug and lighter. It could be a fuse ia blown .

Advertisement