Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many sportives do you get in each year?

Options
  • 20-07-2016 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Three so far for me this year, lap de gaps, mick byrne 160 and Wicklow 200. That would be typical for me in a summer.
    I've Tour de Kilkenny lined up and probably a charity cycle with old work colleagues in September.
    I'd like to fit one more in, probably in August.
    6 would be a good total for me this year.

I'm finding them a better way to train than solo sessions this year, so lap de gaps and MB160 were good training for W200, that kind of approach.

Next year I'd love to try the Maratona Dles Dolomites again and would see Irish sportives as my training for that.

Whats a typical number for boardsies in a summer?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Zero.

Unless the Evil counts but I didnt finish Daragh_'s route so still zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I've only been taking part in sportives for the last few years. I normally manage to do about five or six per year. The ones that I have done multiple times and that I earmark on my calendar are the Croí Tour de Lough Corrib and Tour de Conamara (both Galway), Tour de Kilkenny, and Tour de Burren. And then I would often manage to do a couple more ones around Galway/Kilkenny/Clare depending if the dates suit.

I find them a great motivator for training, and I'd like to do a few more in other parts of the country. And to do a sportive on an iconic route in Europe would be the dream :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

This is my first summer on the bike (took up cycling in April) and have completed - Lap de gaps, Mick Byrne 200, Tour of louth, Wicklow 200, Tour of Meath, Cycle Ataxia, Ring of Kerry. That's enough for me, for now. Going to try my hand at a race next before the summer is out - for the craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

I love doing them - try to get as many as I can in during the year. If they're within say 2hrs from home then I'll head on over to them. Weather dependent of course :o.

We make a weekend of it with some of them (like Burren and Waterford for example).

So far this year...
    - Pat Jones Edenderry
    - Orwell Randonnee
    - An Post Sligo
    - Tour of the Heartlands
    Missed the Mt Leinster this year as I was away training for Marmotte, but have done the last 5 of them I think.
    - Mick Byrne
    - An Post Burren
    - La Marmotte

And planned then is...
    - An Post Meath this weekend
    - Tour de Kilkenny
    - Tour of Kildare
    - Leinster Loop
    - An Post Waterford
    - Pat Colgan Tullamore
    - Humpy Hundred Carlow
    - An Post Rebel Tour

...probably one or two more before the end of the (my) season in October.

The joys of childfree living! :D ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

3 or 4 mainly smaller local events, the big events are just getting too expensive for what you get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

....(took up cycling in April)and have completed - Lap de gaps, Mick Byrne 200, Tour of louth, Wicklow 200, Tour of Meath, Cycle Ataxia, Ring of Kerry

Fkn hell, you don't mess about do you? Well done.

I do a few each year. Did the Ox mountains sportive, Tour of Meath this weekend, planning to do SKT and Reservoir Dog. I spend most of my time on the bike on my own but enjoy the buzz of a big day out.
    Next year I wouldn't mind giving the Mick Byrne a shot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Depends on how the racing goes. If racing well enough then only 2 or so but if not racing much and not injured then have done as many as 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

haul d'naul, lap de gaps, mick byrne, ww200, ni gran fondo so far - meath heritage this weekend, not sure what else ill do, get a few races in hopefully, festival season has put a halt to more recent weekend spins...last festival season i think for me, getting old :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I usually get in anything from one to zero. I'm not a big fan of sportives. I like to leave from my house and finish at my house. If the start is close by I'll do it. I hate having to load the bike into the car and set off.

More importantly, I like to get home and get straight into the shower rather than load the bike into the car for the journey home.

I'm just as happy doing similar distances solo.

I did the Tallaght Hospital charity spin this year as the start was at the hospital just 6km from house.

Maybe I'm just turning into an old, unsociable crank.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Lap the gaps
    Mt Leinster challenge
    Granfondo Ventoux
    Ring of Kerry
    And signed up for the Leinster loop!

An average year so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I've only done one this year- tour of Louth. At the moment I'm hard pressed to get time to get out for any great distance to get some miles in the legs so paying to do an event I'm not prepared for isn't much good to me at the moment. I'd like to do a few more but I find I'm working when most are on lately

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Mallorca 167
    Westport gran fondo
    Tour de conamara skoda
    Stephen roche balrothery
    Cycle ataxia
    Yellow furze
    Cabra king of the castles
    Westportif skoda

Meath heritage
    Ennis gran fondo skoda
    Watrford an post all booked
    Plan to do stephen roche skoda
    Probabky some more. They get me on the bike!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

crosstownk wrote: »
    I usually get in anything from one to zero. I'm not a big fan of sportives. I like to leave from my house and finish at my house. If the start is close by I'll do it. I hate having to load the bike into the car and set off.

More importantly, I like to get home and get straight into the shower rather than load the bike into the car for the journey home.

I'm just as happy doing similar distances solo.

I did the Tallaght Hospital charity spin this year as the start was at the hospital just 6km from house.

Maybe I'm just turning into an old, unsociable crank.

Turning?

I'd be the same as you. The only thing close to me would be thre Orwell spin and I'm usually away for it. I also do 99% of my rides solo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

2. tour of Meath on Sunday and the Great dublin City Bike ride...or whatever its called.

I look forward to sunday but I tell you what these sportives are pricey!!! €36 entry fee.

Goal for sunday is to beat 4 hours for 100km...I know dont say it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Zero.

I used to do about a dozen a year, including all the An Posts, but then I came to realise that it's become a bit of a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I do a few locally mainly ones associated with the schools and well deserving charities. I only started road cycling in January so I'm keen now but i will likely reduce them next year as €20 each time is pricey for what is basically a sandwich and coffee after it.

I haven't done some of the bigger ones yet but i am registered for the Sean Kelly 160km in August, looming forward to that tbh.

Oh yeah, as i dont have a racing license i more often than not end up at the front end of the local ones which end up pacy, likely wrong but i tend to end up "racing" them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Jawgap wrote: »
    Zero.

I used to do about a dozen a year, including all the An Posts, but then I came to realise that it's become a bit of a waste of money.

A waste of money because they can be quite expensive, or is there any other reason? :)

A waste of money because they can be quite expensive, or is there any other reason? :)

Expense is relative!!

I don't mind paying if you get value - it seems prices are going up but value isn't - I like my goody bags :D

Plus, by not doing them I've found I'm less likely to encounter large groups who don't know how to cycle in groups or tw@ts who think it's a race ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

None yet.

I thought I was the only poor soul riding alone!

I'll do the tour De Kilkenny, Leinster loop and the reservoir dog this summer and try to impress myself with how much faster I can go in a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

The issue of cost is real and for someone on limited means, it is a real barrier to participating. The cost rises further still when you add fuel and accommodation to the list.

I did a local sportive to raise a few quid for our local GAA team, the proceeds of which cover the cost of the kids summer cost. Cost: €40 and for something well worthy.

I did the ROK earlier this month and was accompanied by wife and child. Entry cost €90. Fuel and food from Fri-Sun incl was approx. €80. Accommodation for two nights was €200 (which was cheap). Even leaving the cost of taking a day of work to travel down, I'm still down almost €400 before I turn a wheel.

I was supposed to do the Tour de Connemara but withdrew when my mate pulled out. That too would've nailed me for the thick end of €200 with entry fees, accommodation, fuel and maintenance whilst away.

I'm doing the Tour of Meath on Sunday and that is just entry fee and fuel. We're still looking at €60 or so

The point in all of this is entry fees have crept up recently, but more often than not, the cost of getting to and overnighting at some events adds even more significantly to the overall burden of cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

They are mostly overpriced. Some of the better value ones have been well flagged on this forum. I'll do 4 or 5 sportives this year. All within a short radius of home.

Perhaps the organisers look at the bikes and think, this lot can afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

godtabh wrote: »
    Turning?

I'd be the same as you. The only thing close to me would be thre Orwell spin and I'm usually away for it. I also do 99% of my rides solo

I do an awful lot of my cycling solo. We should start an anti-social cycling club, founder members, terrydel, godtabh and crosstownk!

Joking apart, if anyone is ever stuck for someone to do a spin with, I'd be happy to tag along!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I used to do a lot more but after filling a second wardrobe with "free" jerseys and gilets I just had to call a halt. :rolleyes:

terrydel wrote: »
    I do an awful lot of my cycling solo. We should start an anti-social cycling club, founder members, terrydel, godtabh and crosstownk!

Joking apart, if anyone is ever stuck for someone to do a spin with, I'd be happy to tag along!

Anti-social cycling club.......that would appeal to me, so count me out :D

At the moment my preference is for solo cycling - my own pace and my own route - I don't have to travel far to the start and the food stops are amazing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

terrydel wrote: »

I don't get an invite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Fkn hell, you don't mess about do you? Well done.

Cheers pal and kudos to you too! I got hooked a lot quicker than I thought I would, plus I have the time to go full steam at it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Havent done any this year.....not even an Evil 300 attempt....
    Did bag a foreign holiday and a new bike but that might be just coincidence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

I've only done two this year so far.
    Saddle up for Epilepsy in Mayo , just as an excuse for a week-end away with the OH, and the Stephen Roche 3 county in Balrothery , which was more a local club spin .
    I have signed up for the Meath Heritage this week-end and I might do the Reservoir Dog and Skoda Boyne Valley classic , both in Sept.
    I have avoided a lot of the local charity sportives this year as I would rather spend the available time on a club spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Usually one road sportive as part of a holiday - this year Paris Roubaix. Don't do much road riding these days. Plus one off road Cooley Thriller hopefully this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Sportives are why I turned to audax events. All of the distance, none of the crappy jerseys or goody bags, no spurious charity fund raisers and audaxes are a great way to see the countryside.

Come over to the darkside ... it's lovely! Audax Ireland

Advertisement