Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIG and the XLNTdriver app

• 20-07-2016 3:29pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before, couldn't find anything when I searched.

Long story short - got renewal from current co. (Aviva) and it's coming in at €924. 43 year old, full NCB, 3 points, car is '12 A5 2.0 diesel.

Have done numerous quotes, most in at €800 plus for similar policy. Allianz coming in at around €600. Was about to go for that one and tried AIG, which comes in at €560 for similar cover to what I have.

Also has option for XLNTdriver policy which is quoted at a further €420, so a substantial discount.

My question is, has anyone used this app and have you managed to get the full discount available? How practical is it? I'd consider myself a good driver, so I'd expect to get a good score, but I wonder are the discounts like manufacturer mpg figures i.e. never achievable in real life? :)

I'll be moving to AIG regardless as even without XLNTdriver, they are still cheapest, but interested to know from actual users how you found the app and discounts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Remember seeing a similar topic here about these apps the companies offer,Personally I would not go near them as for god knows what they do with the data..Plus they cant be 100 correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭kirving

As I've said previously on this, F1 Teams spend untold millions on telemetry, and STILL need video and driver feedback to get an idea of what the car is doing.

See the screens here: https://youtu.be/1j9r7Ue6XnA?t=2m12s

Successfully pulling representative driving information using an app is nigh on impossible. Phone falls out of the mount? That's a high acceleration reading there. A drunk cyclist with no lights cuts across you and you were doing 52kph in a 50 zone - that's you at fault. They're a terrible idea from a customer point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

I've been with AIG for 2 years under the policy which involves using the app.

I managed to get some money back based on my score last year, I was just over 70% which allowed me for 5% back i think.

You should not use the app if you drive through a very busy route like the city centre.

The app will give you a terrible score just because it sees that you are not driving smoothly by stopping-starting all the time and it takes you too long to cover the distance which you are doing without factoring in that it is not your fault if there's traffic.

Also the money back incentive is only valid for the first year. In the second year, even if your score is good, you don't get any cash back, although I was 'strongly' encouraged to keep using it..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thanks for the feedback all. Might give it a go to get the initial discount, then see how it's going and decide whether I'll keep using it or not.
    j4vier wrote: »
    Also the money back incentive is only valid for the first year. In the second year, even if your score is good, you don't get any cash back, although I was 'strongly' encouraged to keep using it..

Did you get a reduced renewal though to make up for the lack of money back incentive? I was under the impression that if you had a good score in the first year, you'd get a reduced premium for year 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

No the quote in the second year was slightly higher than in the first year due to general price hikes. I stayed with AIG because even with the hike, the quotes with the others were all higher.

There were no discounts due to my score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

j4vier wrote: »
    I've been with AIG for 2 years under the policy which involves using the app.

I managed to get some money back based on my score last year, I was just over 70% which allowed me for 5% back i think.

You should not use the app if you drive through a very busy route like the city centre.

The app will give you a terrible score just because it sees that you are not driving smoothly by stopping-starting all the time and it takes you too long to cover the distance which you are doing without factoring in that it is not your fault if there's traffic.

I use it and got 5% back and about €200 off my original quote. Pretty good incentive to get you to use them.

Advertisement