Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pint In limerick City

• 20-07-2016 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

Hey I'll be down to Limerick next weekend (been there twice before) and was just wondering what people think is the best Pint of Guinness in the city centre. Been to Tom Collins before and the White house. Pints in Tom Collins were amazing. But where else??

Was also in a place across from the George Boutique can't remember the name but it was also nice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Myles Breens I'd say you're on about, great pub. Not a stout drinker usually but I'd imagine Charlie Malone's and maybe some left field places like Austins by the train station or Brendan O'Briens would have good quality pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Breen's definitely have the best pint with their half and half pour.

JJ Bowles (havent been in a while) but their pints from the front bar are pretty good.

Rashers and Squires both good places for a pint of stout

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Cheers lads googling away with street view like a mad man here, was in Flannerys and Breens but cant remember which is which :D, staying in the Strand Hotel with the girlfriend. If it was up to me I'd be in all the oul boy bars for the pints (I'm only 32) but she prefers something more modern :rolleyes: but I reckon I could drag her in to a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I got for an Afternoon pint then in Nancy Blakes on Denmark Street and you can sit out the back or in the auld man section. That's the place to go for your age group in the evening(IMO) so if she likes it then you can avoid that:

"Where should be go" sh*te later in the evening! :D

Now, if you're in the Strand Hotel you should head down the quay(towards the castle) and get yourself into the Curragower Bar. :D

Berty wrote: »
    I got for an Afternoon pint then in Nancy Blakes on Denmark Street and you can sit out the back or in the auld man section. That's the place to go for your age group in the evening(IMO) so if she likes it then you can avoid that:

"Where should be go" sh*te later in the evening! :D

Now, if you're in the Strand Hotel you should head down the quay(towards the castle) and get yourself into the Curragower Bar. :D

Jaaaaysus that Curragower bar will probably get look in the Friday afternoon :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

A Pint of Guinness and a bowl of mussels would be a nice combination in the Curragower. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Guinness and mussels, jaysus open the hotel room windows when you get back or the missus will choke to death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I'll throw my hat into the ring here, but generally agree with what's been said above. IMO the best pint of porter, or Guinness at least, is in Tom Collins's. JJ Bowles also very good, as is Souths. Not yet been to Charlie Malones but I've heard good things. Myles Breens probably has the best pint of anything in town, porter, beer, lager, yet to hear a complaint about the drink there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

Was in Tom Collins last weekend, Guinness was warm and watery, have had better, Myles Breen or Souths does it better

Thanks for all the replies, think I'll have a busy weekend ahead of me, anybody know what the jacks is like in the rooms in the strand????
    :D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, think I'll have a busy weekend ahead of me, anybody know what the jacks is like in the rooms in the strand????
    :D:pac:

As with all hotels when Guinness is involved bring you own paper 4 ply quilted ☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Best pints I've had in town are

1. T.C's
    2. Patsy Nicholas
    3. South's
    4. Myles Breens
    5. Rashers
    6. Charlie St George
    7. Timmy Martin's
    8. Cowheys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Was in Tom Collins for 2 last night, the Guinness was like nectar! Then went to Nacnys, christ it was awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Tom Collins has been going downhill since Nancy's took it over a few years back. The pints aren't bad, but the whole vibe is completely different. It has none of the charm or class that it used to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

zulutango wrote: »
    Tom Collins has been going downhill since Nancy's took it over a few years back. The pints aren't bad, but the whole vibe is completely different. It has none of the charm or class that it used to have.

Genuinely curious as to why you think the vibe is different? I was only there a handful of times before the changeover, and haven't really noticed that much of a difference to be honest. Maybe I just didn't drink there enough before to notice a difference now.

I've been in Flannerys on Upper Denmark st and the one on Shannon street before and thought they were nice, especially the small bar in the Denmark street one. (but which has the better Guinness???)
    When I was down the last time in October was in Dolans, is there music there on a Friday night or would I be best off somewhere closer to home?
    The Guinness in Dolans was ok but nothing special, GF liked the pub though. Was also in Chaplins but again meh.
    Some of your suggestions have me licking my lips though. :)

This is one thing I can agree on with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pearse43

Patsy Nicholas's and Rashers are both top quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Mc Love wrote: »
    This is one thing I can agree on with you!

ok, how about this ..

Cecil Street (outside Tom Collins, and arguably right up to the social welfare office) serves only a very marginal purpose when it comes to moving traffic through the city. Much of it is derelict or vacant too. It could be transformed if we decided to close it to traffic and do major public realm improvements on it, i.e. widen footpaths (or pedestrianise altogether), landscape, provide street art. This would make the properties attractive to investors and lead to refurbishing of the Georgian Buildings, setting up of businesses, etc. It would make the proposal to transform the Theatre Royal into a Digital Arts Centre more feasible too. And Tom Collins would have a better outdoor space! :)

Definitely sounds better than spending 18 million euro on a bridge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

ok, how about this ..

Cecil Street (outside Tom Collins, and arguably right up to the social welfare office) serves only a very marginal purpose when it comes to moving traffic through the city. Much of it is derelict or vacant too. It could be transformed if we decided to close it to traffic and do major public realm improvements on it, i.e. widen footpaths (or pedestrianise altogether), landscape, provide street art. This would make the properties attractive to investors and lead to refurbishing of the Georgian Buildings, setting up of businesses, etc. It would make the proposal to transform the Theatre Royal into a Digital Arts Centre more feasible too. And Tom Collins would have a better outdoor space! :)

Outstanding idea....

We should stick it in the Limerick 2060 plan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Come to think of it Mickey Martin's does a great pint as well.

Come to think of it Mickey Martin's does a great pint as well.

Last pint of Guinness I had in there was muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

Guinness is muck, period. Better stouts available.

Better stouts like Murphy's or Beamish or O'Haras?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

Porterhouse, White Gypsy, Trouble Brewing, Dungarvan.

I haven't drank Guinness regularly for years, preferred Beamish. In the last few years small brewery stouts have become more readily available and are IMO better and more flavoursome.

Can't understand the slavish like devotion to a brand, if someone ate the same meal everytime they went to a restaurant we'd think it unadventurous, but with stout it's the essence of Irish maleness.

Garry123 wrote: »
    Porterhouse, White Gypsy, Trouble Brewing, Dungarvan.

I haven't drank Guinness regularly for years, preferred Beamish. In the last few years small brewery stouts have become more readily available and are IMO better and more flavoursome.

Can't understand the slavish like devotion to a brand, if someone ate the same meal everytime they went to a restaurant we'd think it unadventurous, but with stout it's the essence of Irish maleness.

Cant understand the same for any of the beers such as Heineken, Carlsberg. Its because they are heavily marketed, readily available and cheaper than the craft/micro-brewery selection.

Or people like the taste.

People like that there is no taste.

Bud, Heineken, Guinness, Miller etc are the bland mashed potato of the alcohol world

• Advertisement

But if you like bland of you go.

Advertisement