Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pint In limerick City

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Who here is a loyal Limerickian and drinks the Treaty City stuff? I've taken to it in the last year or so. It's up there with the best ales I've had. Hope they do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

zulutango wrote: »
    Who here is a loyal Limerickian and drinks the Treaty City stuff? I've taken to it in the last year or so. It's up there with the best ales I've had. Hope they do well.
    Big fan of Treaty City drink their ale when I'm out. JJs of Kilmallock also have a very nice ale, it's in The Unicorn in Dooradoyle as Horney Horse. Also like White Gypsy ales available in Glen Tavern and Flannerys Denmark St.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

I'm curious as to why people assume that craft beer is always superior to mass produced beer. I've been to lots of countries like the Czech Republic where the beer is amazing but it's not craft beer. Same goes for places like Hungary or Germany. You might say that they have the purity laws etc.... but they're still mass produced. Even a lot of beers in Belgium are mass produced and I'm not talking about Stella, yet the Belgians are world famous for there beer so they must be doing something right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

How much is the treaty ale a pint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Buckfast W wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why people assume that craft beer is always superior to mass produced beer. I've been to lots of countries like the Czech Republic where the beer is amazing but it's not craft beer. Same goes for places like Hungary or Germany. You might say that they have the purity laws etc.... but they're still mass produced. Even a lot of beers in Belgium are mass produced and I'm not talking about Stella, yet the Belgians are world famous for there beer so they must be doing something right.

Because hipsters.

• Advertisement

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Because hipsters.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I sort of dislike the term "craft beer". It is used by some for marketing purposes and to be able to charge extra for something "craft" (Yes I know that some beer volumes are quite low probably necessitating a higher price but I think some do try and take the mick a little). Other use in order to sound cool and a little elitist.

I just like beer with a bit of taste, so many are extremely bland.

Can't beat a bit of homebrew. With some patience you are get some nice beer for less than 45c for a 500ml. I have made some blackberry wine that apart from the labour of picking etc. probably comes in at less than 20c per full wine bottle. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

I don't believe in the term craft, what does it mean? Beer is either good or not good, I don't really mind who brews it. Micro breweries tend to use more expensive ingredients like hops etc and don't enjoy economies of scale like big breweries. The Heinekens of this world should be much cheaper than than micros but someone needs to pay for the marketing.

Calling people hipsters ( what is a hipster? ) is just inverted snobbery.

But if you're talking about marketing I was looking at a leaflet for an offo in Dublin that was 4 pages of what they called "craft beers".
    They seem to be happy to be labeled (no pun intended) with the term craft beer to show that they're different from Heineken etc...

What I wanna know is when does a craft beer cease to be a craft beer. Take Samuel Adams for example, can they claim that there a craft beer if they're able to supply the beer markets of many countries around the world.

Would a small Irish brewer not jump at the chance to increase their market sales and sell more beers? If this did happen would it not require them to move to a larger premises to produce more to supply the demand. Then they've gone for a small time operation to basically morphing into the people that they're trying to be different from in the first place.

Jaysus I need a pint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Would a small Irish brewer not jump at the chance to increase their market sales and sell more beers? If this did happen would it not require them to move to a larger premises to produce more to supply the demand. Then they've gone for a small time operation to basically morphing into the people that they're trying to be different from in the first place.

Fran Well was bought by Molson Ireland so they were then able to produce a much bigger capacity.

Rye River Brewing Company began in Kilcock and it is now Brewed in Celbridge in Kildare and call themselves, not Craft, but "Ireland Largest Independent Craft Brewery" as they also produce their own along with Grafters for Dunnes, Solas for Tesco and The Crafty Brew for Aldi.

Galway Bay Brewery themselves owe a very large amount of their own bars.

Some do go big, some will never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Speaking of Galway Bay Brewery, did I read somewhere that they are opening in town? Would be a welcome addition if so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭RINO87

it's delicious but isn't it made in Kerry by 9 white deer??!! Also the "Kenmare" brand is made in Little Island in Cork!!

No, I was wrong. They've moved brewing back to Limerick :)
    Taken from the 9 white deer facebook page:
    Today was probably the last day we got to package Treaty City Brewing Co's beer Harris Pale Ale that we brewed, Steve is going to be opening the doors to his dream in a few weeks up in Limerick, from all of us at 9 white Deer we wish him the very best of luck, the past few years were a joy making this fantastic beer. I've seen some of the photos and technical details of his brewery as it has come together and it's impressive. If you have not tried this you really should, we have held on to a keg which will go on the guest tap soon at The Mills Inn, Baile Bhúirne but it won't last long. Up The Treaty - Sláinte Steve

....to stay on topic, the pints of Beamish in Charlie Malones are the stuff of dreams!!

.....and Ballyvourney is in Cork!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

RINO87 wrote:
    it's delicious but isn't it made in Kerry by 9 white deer??!! Also the "Kenmare" brand is made in Little Island in Cork!!

No, I believe it's made in Limerick by a couple of lads who set up a microbrewery on the Ballysimon Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

No, I believe it's made in Limerick by a couple of lads who set up a microbrewery on the Ballysimon Road.

Correct, they had a limited edition Thomond Red Ale last summer and it was very enjoyable.
    Treaty City nice on tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭finooola

Genuinely curious as to why you think the vibe is different? I was only there a handful of times before the changeover, and haven't really noticed that much of a difference to be honest. Maybe I just didn't drink there enough before to notice a difference now.

It's hard to put your finger on which change they made that ruined the "vibe", but I think it's the lighting they put in.

On topic, I drink beamish when in Limerick. It's always nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

finooola wrote: »
    It's hard to put your finger on which change they made that ruined the "vibe", but I think it's the lighting they put in.

On topic, I drink beamish when in Limerick. It's always nice.

I can't understand why Heineken aren't pushing Beamish on the international market. Far better than Murphys.
    Saying that it isn't as good since it started being brewed by Heineken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A little bit out from the city centre but Fennessy's up on the South Circular road do a great pint of the black stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

+1 for Fennessy's, perfect spot for a few quiet ones. Have yet to be served a bad Guinness there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

+2 for fenneseys. My favourite place to go for a pint by myself.

Advertisement