Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I rent an apartment, or a house? (Same price!)

Options
  • 20-07-2016 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I'm accommodation-hunting at the moment, looking for either a house or an apartment to live alone.

I've come across a bunch of apartments I like (mostly two bedrooms, which is great because I'd like a spare room for visitors) within my budget, and also a house (three bedrooms) for around the same price as the apartments.

I'm just wondering, would the financial difference of renting a house (over an apartment) be significant, considering the rents are the same?

I'm thinking of things like:

- cost of heating a full house rather than a compact apartment?
    - arranging bins yourself rather than having the apartment block sort it?
    - having to mow the lawn (etc) yourself?
    - any other hidden costs/taxes?

Would these things make it considerably more expensive in the long run?

I'm clueless because I've only ever rented apartments before, never a house.

I certainly don't need three bedrooms for just myself, but if it's the same price... why not? :/ Or is that imprudent of me?

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

decoratively are they similar? Often pricewise in my location , a house and an apartment costing the same, the apartment would be far nicer decoratively. That said, I will never rent an apartment again. Issue after issue with them, mostly noise related...

Recently having a back garden with the good weather has been great, also its good to be able to dry clothers out doors...

I cannot compare how much easier mentality it is being in a house, I felt like a rat in a cage in apartments personally...

Its hard for us to make a call, without seeing or knowing the properties...

IF in the event you had to share (through something unexpected like a job loss or you simply decide you want to save more to buy), it will be a lot easier in a house, where you likely have a separate kitchen, living room and possibly another room, like a dining room etc... Also and this might not be applicable, if you have or are planning on having kids or the unexpected happens, I know which type of property that I would prefer to be in!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Have recently moved into a house after 5 years in an apartment and I don't know myself!
    It's a novelty being able to go out to my driveway and hoover my car.....I'm sure it will wear off quick enough mind you :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭deex

Thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah, decoratively they're similarly enough - pretty bare bones. Although obviously the driveway/front and back gardens (with a washing line!!! An apartment girl like me can barely contain her excitement) in the house is a huge bonus.

Good points about having the extra rooms in the house in case of job loss/pregnancy, didn't think of that.

Somehow renting a house to myself feels so much more "grown-up" (translation: scary) than renting an apartment, even though I know there's probably minimal difference really!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Uboat

To live in apartment is safer than in a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

I much prefer a house rather then an apt, you have the garden for sitting out in and drying clothes or entertaining you have more privacy I feel as when I lived in my apt I had some neighbors calling in at all hours asking questions about things I am the owner of the property, you could do level pay for the heating & elec in the house where its the same amount each month so no large bills.

Someone put how I felt " felt like being a rat cage " that exactly how I felt I but then again we grew up in a house with a garden etc and driveway so are used to that.
    If it was the same price I would go for the house, you must remember however you will have to maintain the garden if its got grass and flowers so that is something to think about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Personally an apartment.

When I have a wife and kids and need a house I'll get a house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

More cold callers in a house and also the added expense of a TV licence ;)

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

There is pros & cons but this point is very true the amount of times I have opened the door to " Hello my name is ......." still though I prefer a house and you still need a TV licence even if you live in an apartment that is for sure.
    They generally just cant get access into buildings to check if you have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Its really depends on the individual apartment or house but overall I would say a house just because you get a private bit of outdoors to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, a house that is as cheap to rent as a 2brm apartment? Seriously ... there's something very wrong with that house. A major damp problem or other hidden maintenance, the neighbours from hell, some security issue you've not spotted, huge difference in neighbourhood shops/transport/general safety, some criminal history with the house. Something.

Either that, or the apartment LL is deluded about the worth of their property.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

What about management fees? Don't you normally pay these in an apartment, but not in a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

SarahS2013 wrote: »
    Have recently moved into a house after 5 years in an apartment and I don't know myself!
    It's a novelty being able to go out to my driveway and hoover my car.....I'm sure it will wear off quick enough mind you :-D

No, it won't. Apartment living suits a lot of people, but a house is just so much better in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just disconnect the bell like I did. Anyone who knows me has my mobile no. to tell me to open up the fekkin door, I'm outside!!

Chuchote wrote: »
    What about management fees? Don't you normally pay these in an apartment, but not in a house?

Landlord pays, not the tenant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No, it won't. Apartment living suits a lot of people, but a house is just so much better in every way.

Apartment is cheaper living. Heating bills less, bin chsrges often all included, Electric less, Need smaller TV, more centrally located, easier to keep clean.

Cons - neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Apartment is cheaper living. Heating bills less, bin chsrges often all included, Electric less, Need smaller TV, more centrally located, easier to keep clean.

Cons - neighbours

hang on, a house or apartment are likely to be as centrally located as one another! Dont get that point at all...

The notion of me going back into an apartment is laughable, I laugh at the thought....

Just disconnect the bell like I did. Anyone who knows me has my mobile no. to tell me to open up the fekkin door, I'm outside!!

Be rude to ignore neighbours calling in though No?
    Important to get on with the neighbours whether you like em or not.

Neighbours calling in? For what? Can't they leave a note if they need you for something?

Neighbours have my number too, and I have theirs.

Great for alerts if something is up next door on either side. And they can alert me too. I thought all neighbours had this set up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

One advantage of apartment living, for me, is that apartments tend to be on one storey, so no room is taken up by stairs, and often, too, none by hallways — which means that an apartment of 900 metres is all rooms, that you live in, whereas in a house, a surprising amount of that space is taken up by corridors and stairways.

On the other hand, Irish apartments tend to be poky.

A house is nice because you can relax a bit more — you can hang out your washing on the line, sit in the garden, grow a few veggies, kids can play football. And as some here have said, houses are often more neighbourly.

Again on the other hand, I have been fast friends for years with people who had flats in the same house as me.

If the landlord rather than the tenant pays the management fees (news to me), then it comes down to which better suits the individual's current lifestyle. You're not moving in here for life, OP; maybe think about what's going to be nicer for you for the next year?

• Advertisement

Neighbours calling in? For what? Can't they leave a note if they need you for something?

Tis a thing we have in Ireland called communities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Apartment - most places you can hear a nat farting, let alone big Barry coming in after a heavy night and taking a 3am dump.

Houses - can be just as bad, but normally you can find a quiet spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Apartment - most places you can hear a nat farting, let alone big Barry coming in after a heavy night and taking a 3am dump.

Houses - can be just as bad, but normally you can find a quiet spot.

This ^

Depending on which apt, you could potentially have neighbours-above/below/left/right, increasing the chances of having a terrible neighbour.

Have done short term rentals in apts and never again.

Tis a thing we have in Ireland called communities.

Not where I live!

Do you mean calling in to pay a social visit or to alert you to something? Id never tolerate ANYONE calling in for an unexpected social visit. People know to text or phone me before calling in.

I would open the door to a neighbour but if it was anything outside of "you left your car lights on" type of message, Id just shut it again.

Not where I live!

Sorry to hear that.

Sorry to hear that.

Dont be, I couldnt bear people randomly calling in.

Neighbours calling in? For what? Can't they leave a note if they need you for something?[/QUOTE

Calling in asking questions about the gardens, other neighbors or one or two of the apartments that were social housing that were near me, I got on great wit my next door neighbor who I am still friends with and one girl upstairs who no one really spoke to she turned out to be odd too turning to god and spouting all sorts of quotes at me.
    I don't mind anyone calling in it just seems in apt living its much closer they can see when you are in or out etc...
    The noise too can be a factor too in apartments but really it depends on what bothers you and what doesn't.

Do a pros and cons list and see what sounds and looks more ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Fully agree! I was talking about the car hoovering being a novelty... lol :D

Only in my house 2 weeks and can't begin to tell you how much better it feels...even things like the fact our kitchen is now a SEPERATE ROOM rather than off the living room like it was in my apartment, things like having an attic for storage, a shed out the back, a drive way to park my car, not having to to several trips up and down to my 1st floor apartment to empty the shopping out of the car. I wouldn't swap it for the world and certainly couldn't go back to apartment living.

Advertisement