Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding venue is accomodation onsite always needed?

• 20-07-2016 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, thought this would be the best place to ask. My parents bought a small country house hotel a few years back, it is still being renovated. It has two floors of accommodation, but it could be some time before they are completed. Do venues ever get hired without accommodation? There is a very large hotel down the road and several others 10km away in a large town.

It has nice gardens, courtyards with cellar like outbuildings, function room, lovely vaulted ceiling bar area with open fires etc, dining room etc, it is the ground floor, basement and gardens that we hope to have completed in the shortish term and let out for bookings, thanks in advance for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Baybay

Going to a wedding shortly where the venue only has accommodation for the immediate wedding party. There's a couple of hotels close enough & there's talk of a shuttle for those that need it. The wedding is small enough & there's quite a few locals going too so that all might make a difference as to how the shuttle could work successfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I wouldn't get married in a hotel without accommodation, but I am getting married at a venue with limited accommodation (not a hotel). I'd say it'll be a harder sell if it looks very "hotel" like, but if it has enough charm then you should get interest!
    Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We didn't marry in a hotel and accomodation wasn't on our must have list. Most of our friends and family live in Dublin and our venue was very accessible by public transport, and there were B&BS, friends offering beds etc. If there is accomodation nearby, I don't see an issue, especially if you could secure rooms at a good rate for weddings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I went to a wedding reception in Johnny Foxes in the Dublin mountains and I'm pretty sure no-one stayed there (not even sure it does accommodation) nor did anyone stay even remotely near it. The couple organised a few coaches to take all guests back to the city centre that night so folks just booked into central hotels or took taxis from the city centre if they lived in the Dublin area.

No accommodation is not an absolute drawback but the venue would need to have a lot of other superior product offerings (stunning location and/or scenery, renowned service and quality, food, ambience, decor etc) to offset the lack of accommodation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Having accommodation was one of my OH's requirements for the venue. Having said that there were a few like Tattersalls House, that were just lovely venues with a nearby alternative hotel for accommodation. There are couples who'd be happy to just have a venue for their wedding without rooming. The venue just needs to have something charming and attractive to make it worthwhile for them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

I would think if accommodation is close by then there would be no problem. Perhaps it would be an idea to approach the hotels close by and ask would they do deals if they were recommended, and it might be worth either purchasing a small mini cab or bus to offer transport to guests.

You would not have to though that would just be a nice thing to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Is there a private, comfortable room for the bride and groom to retreat to take a break from time to time? Not necessarily a bedroom, but somewhere they can go and sit alone, or with a few people. And ideally a toilet the bride can use in a big meringue of a dress.

Advertisement