Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava supports Ant+

Options
  • 20-07-2016 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

Apologies if I'm the last person in the world to know this, but I've been using Strava since 2012 and I just discovered that it now works with ANT+ devices - at least with my phone, a Samsung S5 running Android Marshmallow.

I have a cheapo Bryton 20+ computer which came with cadence and HR monitors and when having a look at my recording Strava session at the weekend, I noticed a triangular icon on the screen. I pressed it and then saw it telling me that there was an ANT+ sensor available. I clicked on "+" and it added my cadence sensor. I later added my HR monitor as well.

I stopped using the Bryton because I was too lazy to have to separately charge it and connect it to a laptop to upload rides - Strava is so handy here - but missed the extra info that the sensors provided.

Again, apologies if everybody else in the world knows this but thought it worthwhile to risk the shame just in case this isn't generally known :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

As far as I can tell, it is your phone that supports ANT+ tech, and as such, so does Strava! It's a hardware thing, rather than Strava/Software.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

does it? I thought they only supported bluetooth (last time I checked)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

Maybe you have dual band sensors. Some support ANT+ and Bluetooth LE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

From what I understand, the limitation has been on the Strava side and not the phone - I'm getting the impression from various comments in the Android App Store that the support in Strava for ANT+ is a recent development. Other apps like IPBike have supported ANT+ for as long as I can remember. Hardware is required for ANT+ and this has been included in most Samsung and Sony phones for some time (don't know about other Android or Apple phones).

This July-dated page on the Strava site gives more details: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216919007-Android-and-external-Biometric-sensors

I'd be interested to know if anyone has used an ANT+ sensor with the Android Strava app before now. But as I said in the opening post, maybe I just never noticed this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

route66 wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know if anyone has used an ANT+ sensor with the Android Strava app before now. But as I said in the opening post, maybe I just never noticed this.

No, I did try and sort it out late last year and discovered it wouldn't be done on the app with ANT+ at the time so continued to run with my edge rather than just the phone. PITA!

diarmaidol wrote: »
    Maybe you have dual band sensors. Some support ANT+ and Bluetooth LE.

AFAIK mine are ANT+ only - and Strava shows them as ANT+.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Very few phones have ANT+ so its not a Strava limitation but rather a phone limitation

looking at the release notes for Strava it looks like ANt+ was introduced in the 4.9 release of strava which was available in June. Sweet. Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

My Xperia 3 can connect natively to ANT+ devices (Garmin's HR, cadence and speed) and I can use them in many applications, including Strava. I normally use Oruxmaps though.

I've switched from Edge 810 and not looking back.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Very few phones have ANT+ so its not a Strava limitation but rather a phone limitation

It's actually both. The phone needs ANT+ and the application needs to support ANT+ Sensors.

The purpose of my post was to let people know that recent versions of Strava support ANT+ devices and that therefore if your phone supports ANT+ and you use Strava, you can now get get more data in your Strava-recorded ride without having to use a bike computer.

Speaking as somebody who always uses Strava, had a phone that supports ANT+ and is generally to lazy to use my bike computer (having to separately recharge it and download the ride data from it), this is a huge plus for me.

Lots of phones have ANT+. Supported devices include very popular Android Samsung and Sony phones and various options exist for phones without native support, including iOS - more here - although I'm not sure if this would be worth the effort.

As already mentioned above, the full list of supported devices is here

Doesnt work with power or cadence from power meter apparently :(

Advertisement