Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to create a database with search engine with HTML

• 20-07-2016 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

I have a small project that is a job agency website. One of the main parts is a database with all jobs listings and a search engine to find it all. I was thinking of going for a format like this

Job Sector _____________ Location_____________ [SEARCH]

When clicking on the Job Sector or Location tab it would give you a drop down list to choose from.

How hard is this to do from scratch or should I use a pre built one? Also apart from CSS and HTML could anyone suggest what is the best coding for this job.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

DarraghR wrote: »
    I have a small project that is a job agency website.

Your questions would suggest this is going to be anything but a small project for you.

It sounds like you will need a backend written in something like php with a database to store your jobs.

Look at one of the pre-built job site scripts, code canyon is a good place to start as you can read reviews of the scripts and view demos before you purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I recently built a site for a recruitment agency. Unless this is a college coding project, I suggest you look at off the shelf solutions (one suggestion is WordPress with WP Job Manager).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is this a college project or an actual build for a client?

Most recruiters will use something like Broadbean or Bullhorn for the management of their job specs. Both have API's.

smash wrote: »
    Most recruiters will use something like Broadbean or Bullhorn for the management of their job specs.

Microsoft Dynamics CRM is popular too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Yes this is for an actual recruitment agency so I need to have a database that is very responsive and easy to add new jobs. I did create an intranet in college but it would have been one of my weakest points if I am honest. I am using Dreamweaver so would WP be compatible?

I am using hostingireland.com as my domain and hosting service. They seem to have a few options for setting up a database.

data.jpg

Any links to resources or tutorials would be great.

• Advertisement

Hate to say it Darragh but you genuinely appear to be out of your depth here.

I have two old college friends giving me a hand now. One is in the industry so in good hands. Plenty of time to build the database as the website is completed already. Thanks for the lack of advice guys. Hate to say it but boards.ie is riddled with unhelpful people with smart ass comments and fueled with assumptions ...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have two old college friends giving me a hand now. One is in the industry so in good hands. Plenty of time to build the database as the website is completed already. Thanks for the lack of advice guys. Hate to say it but boards.ie is riddled with unhelpful people with smart ass comments and fueled with assumptions ...
    You're dead right.
    However, presumably as they've already outlined the potential data protection risks of having loads of CVs held in an online system and chosen the safest approach to protecting the customers data, why then was there a need to ask your original question?

Of coarse data protection is important for confidentially. All I wanted was some information on setting one up and the different options out there. Refer to the first replies to my post as an example

It's not a lack of advice. First I think the design forum is probably the wrong place but I also think it's a case that people don't have the time to teach you sql and php. For a novice, you've jumped in feet first and to top it off you're relying on dreamweaver as your primary tool. It's kind of like going to the DIY forum to ask how to build a foundation for a house that you've been commissioned to build backed by your experience of once putting together a shed a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Plenty of time to build the database as the website is completed already.

How was the site completed independently of the database?
    Thanks for the lack of advice guys. Hate to say it but boards.ie is riddled with unhelpful people with smart ass comments and fueled with assumptions ...

Boards is similar to the "real world" in that it contains all kinds of people, some friendly and helpful and some not so much.

I think everybody on this thread has been courteous and helpful. Where are the smart ass comments?

You seem to be looking for simple answers to very complex subjects and then taking offence when people have pointed out that the task you have taken on is a lot more complex than you may think.

To get back on topic I would suggest looking at a CMS to manage the content, Wordpress, Expression Engine and Craft would be good places to start to see if they match up to the projects requirements.

Building a php/mysql site from scratch seems a bit overkill unless the project really needs to be totally custom and the budget supports that level of work.

Trojan wrote: »
    Unless this is a college coding project, I suggest you look at off the shelf solutions (one suggestion is WordPress with WP Job Manager).
    smash wrote: »
    Most recruiters will use something like Broadbean or Bullhorn for the management of their job specs. Both have API's.
    Thanks for the lack of advice guys. Hate to say it but boards.ie is riddled with unhelpful people with smart ass comments and fueled with assumptions ...

It's more riddled with ungrateful people who don't see straight up answers when they're handed on a plate.

I've literally just finished a commercial recruitment agency site using the solution I linked for you there (which we connected with the MS CRM via email which suits the client's business processes 100%).

Smash gave you other solutions to investigate in terms of recruitment specific CRM, I bet some of those have 3rd party website solutions available.

Doing it the way you want to do it is reinventing the wheel and likely to create a solution that won't meet all of your client's actual businesses needs, which is paraphrasing what Smash said. I wouldn't have been quite as blunt as he was, but I agree 100%.

Here's some advice:

Put away Dreamweaver (yes, WP is technically Dreamweaver compatible but it's 2016, not 2006 so forget Dreamweaver).

Put away your SQL editor.

Forget about handcoding PHP and frontend CSS.

Go play around with off the shelf options like the WordPress one I mentioned above.

Quit blaming people on the internet who give honest feedback and answers to your questions on fairly complex topics.

Good luck with the project.

Advertisement