Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDF - STAGE 18 - 17km ITT - Sallanches / Megève

Options
  • 20-07-2016 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

Uphill time trial, a first since 2004.
    Stage 18 from Sallanches to Megève showcases the hill of Domancy in its first three kilometers. There'll be a 5000-euros prize for the fastest rider on that climb. But there'll be more kilometers to cover and more climbing, although not on a regular scale. The changes of rhythm will be the key to win the race with a steep section towards the end. Chris Froome is a hot favourite but not the only one. He said he might suffer after the fast start of stage 17 in which Richie Porte has showed his great form. The Australian is a challenger to stage favourite Tom Dumoulin who is not involved with the overall classification and therefore can pick his days. The Dutch champion for time trial wouldn't discard a third stage win prior to going to the Olympics. Bluff or not, Froome mentioned another potential winner at Megève: Nairo Quintana. Such an uphill time trial suits the pure climbers

CARTE.jpg

PROFIL.png

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png
    The riders will initially start at two-minute intervals, until the final starters, who will go off at three-minute intervals. They will start in reverse order based on the overall classification at the end of the previous stage. The time cut is +33% of the winner's time.

XWfdEwL.png

Stage winner 45 votes

Tom Dumoulin
    0%
    Chris Froome
    15%
    BlowfishtoutstgdalySarz91AlreadyHomeRambling ManBurial. 7 votes
    Nairo Quintana
    57%
    buffaloBrian?Inquitus68 lost soulsoflaheroicomshamcfcKenHyTockmanRobFowllennymcC3POLCDfull_irishJoe ExoticDarkglassesdastardly00klairondavisRaymzorEamonnator 26 votes
    Adam (the shadow) Yates
    0%
    Tony Martin
    2%
    Jakey Rolling 1 vote
    Spartacus
    0%
    Richie Porte
    0%
    Some randomer no 1 was expecting to win
    13%
    Crippens1LionbackerletapeNeady83paul0103isitraining 6 votes
    Vasil Kiryienka
    11%
    happyhappyNamelessPhilMoflojopollocksFigsy32 5 votes
    Frank Schleck
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Nairo Quintana
    I'm excited. Uphill TTs FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

I'm excited. Uphill TTs FTW

I was at the last uphill TT in the tour - at Alpe D'Huez - can't believe it was 12 years ago!

Only Irish rider that day was Mark Scanlon - in fact he was the first Irish Tour rider since Stephen Roche in 1993!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Nairo Quintana
    Woo Hoo, an up hill TT. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nairo Quintana
    I can't believe it's the first uphill TT since 2004. They seem to more regularly occur in the Giro and Vuelta I think. Maybe not though.

Complete list of start times here.

GC Top-10 start times (CET):
    Louis Meintjes (RSA) Lampre - Merida 16:32:00
    Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step 16:35:00
    Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 16:38:00
    Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 16:41:00
    Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 16:44:00
    Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 16:47:00
    Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 16:50:00
    Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-GreenEdge 16:53:00
    Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo 16:56:00
    Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 16:59:00

Nairo Quintana
    Frank Schleck as a option in the poll!
    Nice one :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Nairo Quintana
    Hopefully it will get interesting today and over the next two days. Someone has to challenge for this. Slightly off topic but does anyone know why there is no team time trial this year? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Andy Magic wrote: »
    Hopefully it will get interesting today and over the next two days. Someone has to challenge for this.

' you reckon? I very much dount that there will be any change in the leadership at this point. Quintana clearly doesnt have it - dropped yesterday by 5-6 GC guys. Maybe Yates will leapfrog into 2nd. But no-one is touching Froome at this stage....sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So can we expect Froomy to do his supertuck for the final 2km decent?

Nairo Quintana
    Slightly off topic but does anyone know why there is no team time trial this year?

For variety.
    There isn't a TTT every year. The current trend seems to be every two years. 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009 and so on.

'Against the clock' type stages are: prologue (short distance); ITT (long distance and flat); ITT (medium distance and rolling terrain); ITT (short and uphill); and TTT.

Nairo Quintana
    TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    ' you reckon? I very much dount that there will be any change in the leadership at this point. Quintana clearly doesnt have it - dropped yesterday by 5-6 GC guys. Maybe Yates will leapfrog into 2nd. But no-one is touching Froome at this stage....sadly.

Porte might gain a couple of places. That's all I'm expecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hopefully it will get interesting today and over the next two days. Someone has to challenge for this. Slightly off topic but does anyone know why there is no team time trial this year? :confused:

For 2nd and 3rd maybe. Froomy will have this even more wrapped up after today.

Nairo Quintana
    letape wrote: »
    I was at the last uphill TT in the tour - at Alpe D'Huez - can't believe it was 12 years ago!

Pop quiz, hotshot....... Can anyone name the riders who finished that stage and who will be starting today :)

I count four.
    Sylvain Chavanel, Thomas Voeckler, Matteo Tosatto, and Bernie Eisel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Hopefully it will get interesting today and over the next two days.

The tour lately has been constantly reminding me of this scene from the Simpsons. Afraid to give it a miss just in case Quintana does something like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Hopefully Dan will put the hammer down and surprise a few today, the course will suit him and if he has his best day he may nick a surprise stage win especially if Froome falls on the descent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Vasil Kiryienka
    Nibali FTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

How long is it going to take the main lads to complete the course. I want to try and get the finish of the last 10 starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Moflojo wrote: »
    Nibali FTW?

He fairly burned himself yesterday and didn't do too well in the Giro uphill TT so I'd say he'll hold out for a stage win Friday or Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Pop quiz, hotshot....... Can anyone name the riders who finished that stage and who will be starting today :)

I count four.
    Sylvain Chavanel, Thomas Voeckler, Matteo Tosatto, and Bernie Eisel

Cancellera finished in 2004 but has abandoned so will not be starting today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Vasil Kiryienka
    He fairly burned himself yesterday and didn't do too well in the Giro uphill TT so I'd say he'll hold out for a stage win Friday or Saturday?

The only thing that I thought might go in his favour is the 2.5km descent at the end, but it's probably not long enough for him to take any major time out of his rivals, and it doesn't look particularly technical on the map either.

Nairo Quintana
    letape wrote: »
    Cancellera finished in 2004 but has abandoned so will not be starting today.

That's why I didn't count him ;)

• Advertisement

Nairo Quintana
    80 riders have finished.
    18 currently on the road.
    81 riders yet to start.

Current Top-5:
    1. Nicolas Edet (Fra) Cofidis, Solutions Credits 32'37
    2. Alexis Gougeard (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale @ '29
    3. Pierre-Luc Perichon (Fra) Fortuneo - Vital Concept @ 1'09

5. Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Dimension Data @ 1'10

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

the IAM lad took a fair aul tumble over the barriers earlier

still an awful lot of gob****es crowding into the road on top of the riders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Was voeckler in yellow in 2004?. If my memory serves me he was in a break away that was allowed 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

What setup are most riding? I can't watch it at work but from various photos online I see a mixture of setups from full TT with skinsuit and aero lid, to clipons to straight up road bike.

What setup are most riding? I can't watch it at work but from various photos online I see a mixture of setups from full TT with skinsuit and aero lid, to clipons to straight up road bike.

not been watching long but the few Ive seen all road bikes with clip on TT bars aero suits and lids. Dumoulins gone full aero incl bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Tom Dum was lucky that Bloody Fan taking a vid with his Phone did not hit him...( items that appear on your phone screen are closer :mad:)

mirror.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭isitraining

Tom Dumoulin is on a full TT bike. I think riders are going with whatever they're comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Nairo Quintana
    Couple of people with road bikes and clip ons

• Advertisement

dumoulin putting in 20 seconds on the 1st split

Advertisement