Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDF - STAGE 18 - 17km ITT - Sallanches / Megève

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Has there been any articles or discussion on whether a rear disc wheel was the best option for the ITT?

I find it odd that only two riders (Froome & Mollema) out of the 25 riders or so who went full gas during the ITT chose the full disc.

You would expect all the main favourites/GC riders to have the same setup.

I thought that was interesting as well. Froome went full TT so I assume that means heavier bike over all. What kind of weight would that be? Close to 8-9kg? Where as the light bikes might have come in at 7.5kg? Over the whole TT that must have cost a bit of time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Just watching the orica backstage pass and clip of some gob****e proably pissed trying to run after a rider and taking a fall & tumble. Its that kind of stupidity that causes the ruin of some riders tdf and what ever injuries could come aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Haven't seen any real analysis of it but I know that Trek Semi Freddo hired Ryan Cooper (of BestBikeSplit) to do some pretty funky maths to model the optimum power usage for TTs, and I presume setup falls under that rubric too.

On that kind of course I'd imagine most teams are going with, at best, back-of-an-envelope calculations or just plain guesswork whereas Trek seem keen to actually figure it out.

I'd be surprised if Sky haven't done the same kind of homework but I don't know who does that for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

pelevin wrote: »
    Poels' words seem to show specifically how they can ride to power-metres to basically close down the racing completely, obviously once they have the legs. Or at least that it makes the tactic of riding just below the threshold far simpler to reduce to a specific formula of how hard to go. It mightn't be that huge a difference if they were banned for racing but it'd have to help. And as Poels himself agrees, it makes for f...g boring racing to watch. It's seriously for me the death of racing seeing as it's a horrible experience rather than an enjoyable one to spend free-time looking at it.

Its the approach of people like Brailsford that is killing all sport as a spectacle.
    Fecking robots, everything is data and analysis driven. Life in general is heading that way. Makes for aboring world imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

niceonetom wrote: »
    Haven't seen any real analysis of it but I know that Trek Semi Freddo hired Ryan Cooper (of BestBikeSplit) to do some pretty funky maths to model the optimum power usage for TTs, and I presume setup falls under that rubric too.

On that kind of course I'd imagine most teams are going with, at best, back-of-an-envelope calculations or just plain guesswork whereas Trek seem keen to actually figure it out.

I'd be surprised if Sky haven't done the same kind of homework but I don't know who does that for them.

If sky did that wouldn't all of the team have a similar set up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Has there been any articles or discussion on whether a rear disc wheel was the best option for the ITT?

I find it odd that only two riders (Froome & Mollema) out of the 25 riders or so who went full gas during the ITT chose the full disc.

You would expect all the main favourites/GC riders to have the same setup.

Quintana would want to practice riding his tt bike. He clearly isn't comfortable on it at all. They obviously don't turn as well as a road bike and he looked like he couldn't deal with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nairo Quintana
    If sky did that wouldn't all of the team have a similar set up?

But who else on the Sky team was going to be putting in 100% effort during the ITT. Everyone was essentially using the stage as a recovery ride apart from Froome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

But who else on the Sky team was going to be putting in 100% effort during the ITT. Everyone was essentially using the stage as a recovery ride apart from Froome.

Why would that matter? If the most economical way to do the stage was with the same set up as froome they all would have done it no matter how hard they were going #marginalrecoverygains

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Vasil Kiryienka
    godtabh wrote: »
    I thought that was interesting as well. Froome went full TT so I assume that means heavier bike over all. What kind of weight would that be? Close to 8-9kg? Where as the light bikes might have come in at 7.5kg? Over the whole TT that must have cost a bit of time and effort.

I didn't see any of the TT but was Froome out of the saddle much on the climb? If so then perhaps the TT frame is more rigid and there's less energy lost through the frame flexing?

Or perhaps it was just Froome's way of saying, "You call this an uphill TT? LOL."

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

GCN have a clip up comparing the climb both with Matt using a regular setup and then using an aero helmet and clip-on TT bars. Worked out I think 20 sec faster at 10W less on the aero setup versus the regular. At tate was excluding the flat first 3km or so and the downhill last couple of km

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

terrydel wrote: »
    Its the approach of people like Brailsford that is killing all sport as a spectacle.
    Fecking robots, everything is data and analysis driven. Life in general is heading that way. Makes for aboring world imho.

Agree that Brailsford is an entertainment-killer, great for getting results for his team, terrible for cycling and the interest in watching a competitive race. Something has to be done to circumvent the pervasive influence of technology, we don't want cycling becoming like Formula 1 whereby people not actually on the bikes are having a huge influence on the result.

Let Brailsford do his thing but introduce new rules that make it harder for him to roboticise the sport - limit the access to technology, radios etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I was wrong. Froome's bike 7.3kg

donfers wrote: »
    Agree that Brailsford is an entertainment-killer, great for getting results for his team, terrible for cycling and the interest in watching a competitive race. Something has to be done to circumvent the pervasive influence of technology, we don't want cycling becoming like Formula 1 whereby people not actually on the bikes are having a huge influence on the result.

Let Brailsford do his thing but introduce new rules that make it harder for him to roboticise the sport - limit the access to technology, radios etc.

The only thing that has impact in the race is people. Bikes do nothing on there own. Technology doesnt do anything on its own. Needs a rider to do the job. Very different to F1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

donfers wrote: »

Even the F1 drivers are complaining how boring and controlled F1 is. Smaller teams and no radios could be interesting. Maybe make them all ride TTs on normal road bikes and aero lids

Advertisement