Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negative OPK

Options
  • 20-07-2016 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    Month 3 TTC
    Mirena removed in February and markedly different periods since - light flow, not painful (previously required heavy duty painkillers and were extremely heavy). Still 28 day cycle though and regular.
    32 years of age and using Ovia app and OPKs on 'fertile week' twice daily.
    Each month I get a day during 'fertile week' where a noticeable line suddenly appears but never quite as strong as the test line. Then it goes again - within 12 hours. I'm treating these as negative as per the test instructions.
    Intercourse every 2nd day during this week.
    I COULD insist we do it every 2nd day for the whole month but really don't want to make a big deal out of it or remove spontaneity altogether.
    Anyone have experience of these OPK kits? I used Dealz ones last month and First Response this month - same results.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

whopper123 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Month 3 TTC
    Mirena removed in February and markedly different periods since - light flow, not painful (previously required heavy duty painkillers and were extremely heavy). Still 28 day cycle though and regular.
    32 years of age and using Ovia app and OPKs on 'fertile week' twice daily.
    Each month I get a day during 'fertile week' where a noticeable line suddenly appears but never quite as strong as the test line. Then it goes again - within 12 hours. I'm treating these as negative as per the test instructions.
    Intercourse every 2nd day during this week.
    I COULD insist we do it every 2nd day for the whole month but really don't want to make a big deal out of it or remove spontaneity altogether.
    Anyone have experience of these OPK kits? I used Dealz ones last month and First Response this month - same results.

Never used either of those brands but what I'd recommend is to get a batch of cheap OPKs from eBay and test every day for the month, even outside what you think is your fertile week in case you are actually ovulating earlier or later than that week. Are you getting af approx 14 days after seeing the 2nd line?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think you are doing it right. :)

My OPKs never went darker than the test line, but I treated any line as an indicator because there are so many variables - diluted due to lots of water intake, or the fact that an LH surge only lasts a few hours so it could have happened in your sleep for example. I was getting bloods done at the time so over 3 consecutive months the bloods showed ovulation on the dates that corresponded with the the line on the OPK, even if it was fainter.

Every second day on or around ovulation is fine. Sperm can live up to 5 days so you have your bases covered there. Don't sacrifice spontaneity. TTC can be stressful and consuming enough without things getting very mechanical and clinical with your parter adding to it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey guys, thanks
    That's a relief to know that your bloods corresponded to the fainter line... yeah my period came bang on 14 days after that last month.
    Ah we are just doing it every 2nd day for the week and then normally - when we feel like it!
    Really don't want it to become a chore so fingers crossed we are getting the timing semi-right!

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Start temping. This will confirm when you have ovulated by a sudden shift in temperature

Obviously it's after the event but it will give comfort you are ovulating. Use in conjunction with ovulation predictor kits. They were never reliable at all for me but temping has and I can gauge each month when it will happen and then confirm. Costs nothing too once you get ther.ometer

Advertisement