Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stain or Petrol / diesel for tree stump?

Options
  • 20-07-2016 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭

Hi folks - a few trees in the park where i spent a good porion of my youth have been cut down and i took a few trunks home to turn them into garden 'art'

I've removed the bark and sanded one of them but should i stain it, or just seal it with a clear sealer? Someone said that petrol is a nice stain????

never tried anything like this before so would like some expert advice if possible?

Trees are Silver Birch btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

One of the outdoor garden sealants would be suitable - and they come in a clear finish. Please don't use diesel, it will destroy any nearby roots if spilled and you will have the EPA on your back if they find out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the OP is not talking about treating the stump with petrol, more so treating the wood.
    i've heard of using old motor oil as a stain, but not petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Hi folks - a few trees in the park where i spent a good porion of my youth have been cut down and i took a few trunks home to turn them into garden 'art'

I've removed the bark and sanded one of them but should i stain it, or just seal it with a clear sealer? Someone said that petrol is a nice stain????

never tried anything like this before so would like some expert advice if possible?

Trees are Silver Birch btw

If you felt inclined you might lavishly coat it with linseed oil a couple of coats, and give it a coat annually thereafter for an environmentally sound and durable finish.

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Thanks folks - I'll try different things on the different bits and see how it looks.

Advertisement